Home General Discussion

HOW DO YOU GUYS CHARGE YOUR BEADS

fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
i have 2lbs of conserva beads in my wall unit. how did you guys charge yours i sprayed mine w/ distilled water, in a big bowl then put them in the bag........ but they appear to be leaving dust.

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Did you roll them around when they were in the bowl to make sure you were distributing the spray evenly? Also, was the humi already seasoned when you put the beads in? If not, then they are going to be releasing more moisture than they normally would.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    How do I charge them? I don't.

I simply place a bowl of distilled water in the humi (in my case it's my coolidor) somewhere near the beads and them I let 'em do what they're designed to do....they soak moisture out of the air. And if the air gets a little dry, they release it back out into the atmosphere.

And then, when my hygro reads something in excess of 65% (that's the kind of beads I have) I remove the bowl. My coolidor stays within 2%, + or - of 65% for quite a long while.

I usually prefer my sticks at around 62% so if the beads get down there I'm a happy camper.

Marty

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i just pour a bit of water on them. i have em in a container thats open on top. just pour a little distilled water on them.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    cabinetmaker:
    Visa.
    Ditto... I use heartfelt and I used to use my Visa... But they now take PayPal at Heartfelt!

In all seriousness... The finer the mist the better the dust control... Dust is normal, but that's just what happens when it expands/absorbs too fast. It's completely normal, but the slower you introduce water, the less dust. Some have even wrapped a baggie of the beads in a damp towel to slowly introduce the water... I just pour water and say "DONE"
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I took jlmartas advice a while back and now I never mess with my beads. Works fantastically.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    kuzi16:
    i just pour a bit of water on them. i have em in a container thats open on top. just pour a little distilled water on them.
    they dont break matt?. in the inst it says not to dump water on them, but i dont see why not
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I put distilled water in a spray bottle and spray them. I gently move the beads around after spraying them to ensure the distilled water covers them. I set them on a paper towel after wards. Heartfelt beads are great with this. Some other beads I have explode and are junk.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Second the BORKs who suggested the spray bottle. Also make sure to spray a little at a time. The first time I used beads I oversprayed and it took forever to get the humidity down. You should try spraying 1/4 of the beads first and work your way up.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    jlmarta:
    How do I charge them? I don't.

I simply place a bowl of distilled water in the humi (in my case it's my coolidor) somewhere near the beads and them I let 'em do what they're designed to do....they soak moisture out of the air. And if the air gets a little dry, they release it back out into the atmosphere.

And then, when my hygro reads something in excess of 65% (that's the kind of beads I have) I remove the bowl. My coolidor stays within 2%, + or - of 65% for quite a long while.

I usually prefer my sticks at around 62% so if the beads get down there I'm a happy camper.

Marty

+1 Sounds very similar to my setup.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    kuzi16:
    Ditto
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555

visa jokes are funny!

I washed out a new spray bottle, then I rinsed it out with distilled waterh. Then I rinsed it out again (both time spaying liberally the clean distilled water into the sink).

Now I keep that bottle relatively full and spray the beads in the mesh bag that came w them when I bought them.

I used to get a lot of dust at the beginning, not much now though.

• sumixamsumixam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 23
    How often do the beads need recharged. Like I know there's a lot of variables, but for instance if i'm needing to recharge them once a week is that too much, more beads need added in, or what? I have a small 20ct humi right now, and I emptied the foam puck and put bead in instead. Is that not enough beads?