Home General Discussion

Questions for Alex!

FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
Hey, its great to see you on posting this AM.

Bunch of guys here had some questions for you. Specifically about your vacation/retreat up north hunting and fishing with a bunch of cigar biz guys.
What were you fishing/hunting for?
What cigars were you guys smoking?
Any interesting stories?

Comments

• Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    It was a great trip in terms of the company but the outfitter sucked. I hunt several times a year all over the world and have used tons of outfitters, but these guys took the cake. Anyway, we were hunting black bear and fishing for walley and norther pike. Some huge fish. I will post some pics once the plane lands and I can upload the. It was Nestor Plasencia, nick Perdomo and two guys that work for a competitor but are good friends. I packed a full jar of coronas from vary us brands like man o war, tatuaje, Nicaragua libber, pepin, Ashton and nick brought tons of his patriarch brand. The whole trip was fun but by far the highlight for me was Nestor getting his bear. At first he came only to fish but changed his mind and thought he would try hunting. It was his first time shooting a gun. After lots of practice, he went out and got a nice black bear. I love seeing the expression and energy from someone who gets their first trophy. It is an amazing feeling and neat to see. One of the best parts about hunting. For those guys who may not know who Nestor is, he is the largest grower of Cuban seed tobacco in the world and runs many factories in Latin america making cigars for rocky patella, Alec Bradley, Gurkha, 5 Vegas and tons of others. It is estimated that 90% of all the cigars sold in the us contain at least one leaf from a Plasencia farm.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I will sound really stupid when I ask this, but i won't know unless I ask...since I have never been hunting (always wanted to go, just never had the chance) before.....so what is an outfitter?
  • Cigar SherlockCigar Sherlock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    Krieg, outfitters are companies that provide you with the guides, equipment (if needed) and everything else for your trip when you land. Usually a local company that you hook up with to take you out for your adventure.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Hey Alex, have you ever been to the Dog Lake Resort outside Thunder Bay? I stayed 2 months there for work and saw a couple dozen black bear and some large fish. The place seems to be run well but I can't comment about them as outfitters.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Speaking of bad outfitters.......... My father-in-law had, by far, the WORST outfitter experience in the history of guided hunting.

The place: Montana. The target: Mule Deer. The outfitter: Don't matter, cuz they no longer exist.......

So, it all starts way bad when they arrive in a small airport in the middle of no where and are left waiting over three hours for someone form the outfitter co. to pick them up. It's the outfitter's wife and she doesn't look happy. The ride to the lodging is about an hour and a half. Dead silence the whole way. Any questions were responded with:"You'll have to ask Dale (name changed to protect the guilty) when we get there" Well, when they get there, it's like a scene out of Law & Order. Cops everywhere. The wifey says, "Don't ask." She takes them to their rooms and says, "Don't worry. It's nuthin. Someone will be up shortly to fill you in on the details.......Oh, and stay in your rooms for now."

A knock at the door about an hour later....... It's a cop! He asks, "Who are you guys?"

My FIL explains that they're there cuz they booked a hunting trip for the week with the owner/outfitter. The cop laughs and fills them in on whats going on. Well, what turns out out be "nuthin" is just your average every day Meth Lab bust!

Almost everyone got arrested! The outfitter, his brother and about 3 or 4 other of his associates! My FIL and his cousin were left alone for the whole night in an empty lodge! They finally tracked down the wife in the bar and started to grill her about a refund and a ride back to the airport. She explains that there's no refund, cuz there's no money! She assures them that the rest of the trip will be free (not including the 50% deposit they already paid) and that her brother will be there the next day to take them out hunting. My FIL and his cousin went behind the bar, grabbed two cases of beer and a bottle of Crown Royal, and said "Put these on our tab....."

The brother did show up........3 days later. And they got out hunting twice and each got a nice mule deer.
  • rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    That sounds like quite possibly the worst trip ever.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    lilwing88:
    Speaking of bad outfitters.......... My father-in-law had, by far, the WORST outfitter experience in the history of guided hunting.

The place: Montana. The target: Mule Deer. The outfitter: Don't matter, cuz they no longer exist.......

So, it all starts way bad when they arrive in a small airport in the middle of no where and are left waiting over three hours for someone form the outfitter co. to pick them up. It's the outfitter's wife and she doesn't look happy. The ride to the lodging is about an hour and a half. Dead silence the whole way. Any questions were responded with:"You'll have to ask Dale (name changed to protect the guilty) when we get there" Well, when they get there, it's like a scene out of Law & Order. Cops everywhere. The wifey says, "Don't ask." She takes them to their rooms and says, "Don't worry. It's nuthin. Someone will be up shortly to fill you in on the details.......Oh, and stay in your rooms for now."

A knock at the door about an hour later....... It's a cop! He asks, "Who are you guys?"

My FIL explains that they're there cuz they booked a hunting trip for the week with the owner/outfitter. The cop laughs and fills them in on whats going on. Well, what turns out out be "nuthin" is just your average every day Meth Lab bust!

Almost everyone got arrested! The outfitter, his brother and about 3 or 4 other of his associates! My FIL and his cousin were left alone for the whole night in an empty lodge! They finally tracked down the wife in the bar and started to grill her about a refund and a ride back to the airport. She explains that there's no refund, cuz there's no money! She assures them that the rest of the trip will be free (not including the 50% deposit they already paid) and that her brother will be there the next day to take them out hunting. My FIL and his cousin went behind the bar, grabbed two cases of beer and a bottle of Crown Royal, and said "Put these on our tab....."

The brother did show up........3 days later. And they got out hunting twice and each got a nice mule deer.
    Wooooowwwww.....I'm not quite sure what to say, lol
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Krieg:
    lilwing88:

Welcome to Montana, boys!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    cabinetmaker:
    Krieg:
    lilwing88:

Welcome to Montana, boys!

Couldn't be that bad, They both got a Mule Deer on the trip!