Home General Discussion

Corona Renaissance

ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
In a ever-changing cigar world, the robusto is the new king. Nubs and bigger ring gauges are the new fad. Who wants to join me in a cigar renaissance of coronas? I love this vitola. Let's hear it for the corona! Discuss your favorite cigar in the corona size. For me, if you've never had the Ashton VSG in corona, then you've never had it. Anyone else got a corona fave to share that the general community may be missing out on?

Comments

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    VSG in a corona? Sounds fun. I've always thought the VSG is about as over rated as they come, but I'd definitely give it a go in the corona someday.

I do enjoy thinner ring gauges on many cigars, but it definitely depends on the blend I suppose.

Cigars I really wish were made in a corona vitola: Man o War Ruination, Oliva Series V, DPG Series JJ, Diesel, original blend of the El Truinfador, and many more!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Best corona hands down is the La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994. It was only made in the corona vitola and married the excellent 1495 blend with a well aged Cameroon wrapper from 1994. Absolutely fantastic cigar.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    Recently I've started to like smaller rings in many blends. Original MOW is a really good one, Virtue is the best in the lonsdale (which is the same size as MOW corona). Rp ITC 10th is also good in the lonsdale. Can't forget the Ccom Brazilian Label as well...
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I love a good cigar in the Corona size! I too wish we saw more blends in a thin ring gauge. A prime example of this is the Antano Dark Corojo! Absolutely fantastic cigar in a smaller size!
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    The only Corona 'gar that Ive had was a Padilla '68. Good stick for a quick smoke.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    TatuajeVI:
    I've always thought the VSG is about as over rated as they come
    Interesting...my take on the VSG was that it was pretty much the finest cigar I've ever smoked! I can think of very few other sticks that really made me go "Damn, I could seriously get used to smoking this every day.."
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    VSG is a damn fine cigar. Best in a corona - ish size, like the illusione (not quite a lancero).
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    cabinetmaker:
    VSG is a damn fine cigar. Best in a corona - ish size, like the illusione (not quite a lancero).
    Guess I'd done good by smoking the Illusione then lol
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    I would say I like most smokes in a smaller ring gauge. I just started more recently smoking them and love them. They seem to have a better wrapper to filler ratio I no in theory ever cigar should be the same only differnt sizes.They do take some getting used to since if you dont smoke them right they get hot and bad real quick.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Hays:
    TatuajeVI:
    Interesting...my take on the VSG was that it was pretty much the finest cigar I've ever smoked! I can think of very few other sticks that really made me go "Damn, I could seriously get used to smoking this every day.."
    I know it makes me a blasphemer lol. I've smoked three or four over the last year, and everytime my reaction is like this, "hmm, tobacco and coffee... that's it? for the entire cigar? so... why'd I pay $15 for this thing?" One dimensional and boring.

Well, more you you, right Hays?
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    cabinetmaker:

yes, I dislike when they have different names for traditional sizes, but I think the illusion is the best size for the VSG.

Edit: I have had this cigar is 3 sizes, the illusion/44 ring, the belicoso/52 ring, and the torpedo/55 ring, and I would pretty much rate them an 8.7, a 7.6, and a 7 from small to big. It really does take on a different flavor profile as the ring gauge goes down.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    TatuajeVI:
    Hays:
    TatuajeVI:
    I know it makes me a blasphemer lol. I've smoked three or four over the last year, and everytime my reaction is like this, "hmm, tobacco and coffee... that's it? for the entire cigar? so... why'd I pay $15 for this thing?" One dimensional and boring.

Well, more you you, right Hays?
    I've had fairly similar experiences with the VSG. I wont say it is the most over-rated cigar I have had, but I was very upset with the enjoyment-to-price ratio. I have a few of them resting, had them for a while now, and I think it might be time to revisit one and see how they are.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    cabinetmaker:
    Agreed, the corona gorda is the best vitola I've had the VSG in.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    CCom Brazilian Blend was EXCELLENT in this size. I know Im gonna start a shitstorm with this statement, but I think its the best Brazilian wrapper Ive ever had period.

• laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    The Sniper:
    CCom Brazilian Blend was EXCELLENT in this size. I know Im gonna start a shitstorm with this statement, but I think its the best Brazilian wrapper Ive ever had period.

Yup, with some age on them they are FANTASTIC. Even straight out of the box these things are really good. These or the CAO Brazilian in the Gol size are my favorites. The C.COM Brazilian in the corona size are the vitola I like the best.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    If I could only smoke one size of cigar for the rest of my life it would actually be the corona gorda. The slightly larger ring gauge allows for a little more strength on the draw, while still having the advantages of a smaller ring. I LOVE Robustos and Coronas as well. The big ring gauge trend does not suit me at all. I don't even want to smoke a 52 ring if I don't have to...