Home General Discussion

8/26 Drew Estates Event at Utopia Cigars in Chicago

lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
It's from 5pm-10pm. Prizes. Raffles. Special offers. Food. Beer. I think the JDN Antano line and the ACID line will be featured. (Last time the rep was there I jokingly gave him a hard time about not bringing any Liga Privadas...... maybe he'll come through this time.)

Utopia is located on the NW side of Chicago at the corner of Montrose and Narragansett. Parking is very limited but not that bad. Call 'em for more info....... 773.725.1810

Comments

• NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
    crap. why on thursday. i cant get off work till 5 (in madison) wont make it there in time. if my car would even make it... lol.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    NYHCx516x:
    crap. why on thursday. i cant get off work till 5 (in madison) wont make it there in time. if my car would even make it... lol.
    Take a half day!!!
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    I probably wont be able to make it =(. Any idea on what the deals will be?
    JSaint:
    I probably wont be able to make it =(. Any idea on what the deals will be?
    Not exactly, but I'm sure there will be some buy three get one free deal, some sampler sales and some box discounts.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    they don't want to bring too many Acid's ya know. those Utopia Blue's will put them to shame.
    Bumping this...... Who's goin???????
    Went to the event last night. Just wanted to say 'thanks' to Kevin and Marek at Utopia for a great event. They were workin hard. It was a solid turn out and lots of gars were smoked. I myself, got to try the Joya de Nicaragua Cabineta. I was pleasently surprised by this mild-medium stick. It has a Connie wrapper that goes down to the band and then has a darker wrapper down to the cap. It kind of starts off mild and builds up to medium. Very nice flavors too. I also had a JDN Antano. A very strong but smooth smoke. There were some great prizes raffled off, like a travel herfador filled with a DE sampler, some hats, some cutters and, of course, some gars. Plenty of pizza, beer, soda and cheesecake for everyone. Utopia is also updating their inventory and were showing off their new orders. Padrons are coming today! And I, for one, can't wait.
    ya know, ill be at a wedding somewhere in chicago this weekend, maybe i can sneak away and it the place up.
    NYHCx516x:
    ya know, ill be at a wedding somewhere in chicago this weekend, maybe i can sneak away and it the place up.
    Let me know when.... I'm there most evenings during work. I try to sneak in in between jobs or on my lunch break.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Hey, Marty, did the rep come through on the LPs?
    lilwing88:
    NYHCx516x:
    Let me know when.... I'm there most evenings during work. I try to sneak in in between jobs or on my lunch break.
    looks like we will be heading to chicago sat morning. wedding is at 6 PM, so it will be either way before that, mid day, or sometime on sunday, again, before evening...
    sightunseen:
    Nah. Oh well. I at least got to chew his ear for a few about them. He gave me some good info about how they're made and the difference between the T52 and the No 9. Interesting stuff.
    NYHCx516x:
    lilwing88:
    NYHCx516x:
    looks like we will be heading to chicago sat morning. wedding is at 6 PM, so it will be either way before that, mid day, or sometime on sunday, again, before evening...
    Where's the wedding? I can tell you if it's even worth it to try and sneak over......
    i know its a few miles from the IKEA. i think. maybe, lol. some country club.
    lilwing88:
    sightunseen:
    Nah. Oh well. I at least got to chew his ear for a few about them. He gave me some good info about how they're made and the difference between the T52 and the No 9. Interesting stuff.
    Do tell...
    sightunseen:
    lilwing88:
    sightunseen:
    Do tell...
    Well, he told me the difference in the production of the two. The T52 uses an old school harvesting process where they harvest the whole tobacco plant instead of just rotating a section. The more economical approach is to pull leaves off in stages, letting them grow back a few times. For the T52, they use all the leaves. They also use a leaf thats extremely oily and resistant to moisture. Sounds good, right? Well, because of the recent flooding in Nicaragua, nothing is THAT resistant. There's so much moisture in the air that even though the factory was unaffected by the floods, you're gonna see some delays in production. Some things getting pushed back as far as April.

He was honest about his Liga preference. He said he preferred the complexity of the T52, which i have to agree with. He also said that the T52 Flying Pig is "sick" compared to the No. 9.

He also told me some interesting stories about DE's history with Perdomo. Juicy stuff.......
    NYHCx516x:
    Hmmmm. That's kind of a hike, from Utopia. At least a 20-30 min drive. Depending on what time your're heading back to Wisc on Sun, I could meet you there for a late afternoon smoke, around 3pm or so.

Even if we can't meet up and you still want to go, just tel who's ever working that Marty the cop sent you. They won't razz you too much..... ;-)

Best way to get there is to take I90/94 east to Nagle Ave south to Montrose Ave. (about a mile). It's at 6355 W. Montrose in the small strip mall by Wilbur's Red Hots (decent food btw).
    lilwing88:
    sightunseen:
    lilwing88:
    sightunseen:
    Do tell...
    Well, he told me the difference in the production of the two. The T52 uses an old school harvesting process where they harvest the whole tobacco plant instead of just rotating a section. The more economical approach is to pull leaves off in stages, letting them grow back a few times. For the T52, they use all the leaves. They also use a leaf thats extremely oily and resistant to moisture. Sounds good, right? Well, because of the recent flooding in Nicaragua, nothing is THAT resistant. There's so much moisture in the air that even though the factory was unaffected by the floods, you're gonna see some delays in production. Some things getting pushed back as far as April.

He was honest about his Liga preference. He said he preferred the complexity of the T52, which i have to agree with. He also said that the T52 Flying Pig is "sick" compared to the No. 9.

He also told me some interesting stories about DE's history with Perdomo. Juicy stuff.......
    That's interesting stuff about the LP. Excited for the T52 Pig to come out. But your story just got to the good part, don't leave me hangin man.
    sightunseen:
    lilwing88:
    sightunseen:
    lilwing88:
    sightunseen:
    Do tell...

That's interesting stuff about the LP. Excited for the T52 Pig to come out. But your story just got to the good part, don't leave me hangin man.
    I hope I'm not divulging any big secrets here.......

Well, to be fair, I didn't get the whole story, but when DE first opened, Perdomo was their tobacco supplier. There were lots of problems. Needless to say, Nick Perdomo and Jonathan Drew aren't best friends today. In fact, when DE did open their first factory, it was on a hill overlooking Perdomo's summer house....... Perdomo sold it and moved into a summer house elsewhere.
    lilwing88:
    NYHCx516x:
    Hmmmm. That's kind of a hike, from Utopia. At least a 20-30 min drive. Depending on what time your're heading back to Wisc on Sun, I could meet you there for a late afternoon smoke, around 3pm or so.

Even if we can't meet up and you still want to go, just tel who's ever working that Marty the cop sent you. They won't razz you too much..... ;-)

Best way to get there is to take I90/94 east to Nagle Ave south to Montrose Ave. (about a mile). It's at 6355 W. Montrose in the small strip mall by Wilbur's Red Hots (decent food btw).
    ill run it by the girl and hit ya back. sometime tonite.
    and.... i will not be making it this trip. ill be in closer the weekend on oct 1. we'll plan that one.
    NYHCx516x:
    and.... i will not be making it this trip. ill be in closer the weekend on oct 1. we'll plan that one.
    Cool. Let me know.
  • utopiacigarsutopiacigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    glad you had a good time marty....... hope the casa magnas worked out for your wedding. I was running with the dogs when i got the call .....my mind was all fuzzy and i think i gave you toooooooo good of a deal on em...... i wont say anything if you dont ;-P......now im gonna have to write myself a light check to make up for it. all those interested..... rocky patel event at my shop thursday october 14th..... come one come all.