Home General Discussion

Well, finally got the call I knew was coming.

Geno5000Geno5000 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 56
Apartment manager finally asked me to stop smoking cigars on my patio. While I think it's silly I can't smoke cigars... you know... outside, I knew the rules and was flirting with them anyway. Anyhow, any idea where the heck I am supposed to smoke 1-2 hour long endeavors now? Keep in mind it's illegal to smoke in most outside locations in the Burbank area. PS. Plus side: I'm going to have a LOT of aged cigars.

Comments

• undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Smoke them in your neighbor's apartment after you kill them for turning you in. In all honesty, you sound like you may be screwed. May have to find an outdoor club.
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    Find a good B&M or better yet a good BOTL that smokes inside
  • Geno5000Geno5000 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 56
    I've found a good B&M, but the prices for cigars in LA are bananas. Seriously, after having smoked at B&Ms in Texas, I almost started crying at the LA prices, which are up to 5 bucks more a stick. I know beggars can't be choosers, but I try to smoke once every two days or so, and that would be tough to get to a B&M that often and shell out that much. As for a friend's place, it's possible, but being a 24 year old cigar smoker, I know very few, and less who smoke inside.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Are there any woods nearby your place? You could always just drive out to the middle of nowhere if your landlord's being a d1ck.
    Hah, I'm in the middle of Burbank/North Hollywood, I forgot what a tree LOOKS LIKE. To be fair, I knew about this coming in, and only picked cigars back up recently, so it's all my fault. Plus the landlord is being really cool about it. I'm just kind of in a bind and may have to stick to smoking when i go to bars (with smoking lounges) or friend's places who's owners allow it.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Uhhh smoke inside champ... next to a window with a nice fan powered ventilation system for your smoke.
    i.e fans pointing outside. Also have an air purifier (ozone generator) on during said smoking and for short periods through out the day. They'll never figure it out.

Won't the smell get into the carpet/walls?
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    The pleasure police strike again. Come on people, how long are we going to take this crap!! Fight back at the local level!
    Well, my chance to fight back was back when I signed the lease knowing these were the rules. Bah, I'm all worked up... ...I need a smoke.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    thats wild that your lanlord can tell you, you can't smokeon your patio...wow
    Hey, if it's in the lease, it's in the lease. Also, if you lived here in the Valley, you wouldn't be surprised.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Geno5000:
    Hey, if it's in the lease, it's in the lease. Also, if you lived here in the Valley, you wouldn't be surprised.
    Well, obviously we live in different places but one thing here and may be worth looking in to there, a landlord can write anything he wants in to the lease and a person can agree and sign off on it but in the end if it doesn't follow in my case, The Ontario Rental Tribunal rules and guidelines it means squat, just a thought...
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Diamondog:
    Geno5000:
    Well, obviously we live in different places but one thing here and may be worth looking in to there, a landlord can write anything he wants in to the lease and a person can agree and sign off on it but in the end if it doesn't follow in my case, The Ontario Rental Tribunal rules and guidelines it means squat, just a thought...
    I'd be careful with that if you like living where you do Geno. They might not decide to renew your lease.....on the other hand then you could move to someplace that is cigar friendly.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    In San Francisco almost every place is smoke-unfriendly. We have a patio and a roofdeck and we're not allowed to smoke in either place. I tend to smoke in my bathroom (there's a fan/vent, and I also have 1-2 fans going at the same time), but the walls have definite tobacco stains. I actually didn't notice until I looked in the 2nd bathroom and saw that the shower was sparkling white.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Move. Out. Of. California.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    move out of ur apartment to a smoke friendly apartment...or rent a room from someone with a back yard so u can smoke
    cabinetmaker:
    Trust me, if I could make movies in Texas, I would.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    this kind of crap is really getting out of hand...if you don't like the smell of the smoke then walk away, it's that simple. I just read an article about this kind of crap in the newest issue of cigar magazine, where they talk about the nanny state laws, SHS (second hand smoke) is the tool govt is using to creep into your car...home..etc. Now they have come out with "studies" that are talking about the dangers of "3rd hand smoke" which basically means the smoke particles left behind in clothing and furniture..etc. Which in turn the are trying to use to ban smoking in your OWN HOME. It's ridiculous
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Third hand smoke? Seriously? I think second hand skeeter would be a bigger problem.
    I'm only saying this cause I work in a hotel and well, changes are within the past 72 hrs some else spleeged right where you are trying to sleep.

I think that would be a bigger health consequence then smoke. But I don't see health awareness adds or public campaigns. Point is the proverbial "they" don't give a rats a** about you.

• The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Get the F outta California? :-D
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
    my patio overlooks the parking lot. can you go chill in the parking lot and smoke? sit on the hood of your car or something? if they stop you then, then there is a serious issue. its outside, its not even close to the building....
  • SgtRickSgtRick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 75
    cabinetmaker:
    +1
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Krieg:
    this kind of crap is really getting out of hand...if you don't like the smell of the smoke then walk away, it's that simple. I just read an article about this kind of crap in the newest issue of cigar magazine, where they talk about the nanny state laws, SHS (second hand smoke) is the tool govt is using to creep into your car...home..etc. Now they have come out with "studies" that are talking about the dangers of "3rd hand smoke" which basically means the smoke particles left behind in clothing and furniture..etc. Which in turn the are trying to use to ban smoking in your OWN HOME. It's ridiculous
    Actually, the ani-smoking groups have already released that in Ontario, Canada. There are a lot of groups pushing for the prohibition of smoking in a few cities. Hell, they're in such a health craze in southern Ontario that Kingston, Ontario is considering banning junk food. I have a feeling that I'm going to get a tumor from sheer stupidity after I move.
    Krieg:
    Actually, I have no beef that the neighbors complained, they said the smoke smell was seeping into their apartment, either next to me or above me, and if they keep their sliding doors open (like I do) it probably DID seep in and they could smell it. Doesn't change the fact that I wanna smoke outside and can't.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    Geno5000:
    Krieg:
    Actually, I have no beef that the neighbors complained, they said the smoke smell was seeping into their apartment, either next to me or above me, and if they keep their sliding doors open (like I do) it probably DID seep in and they could smell it. Doesn't change the fact that I wanna smoke outside and can't.
    I'd feel the same way. If I live in So Cal and couldn't open my sliding door on my patio because it would smell like smoke, I wouldn't be a happy camper.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Geno5000:
    cabinetmaker:
    Trust me, if I could make movies in Texas, I would.
    My younger brother is in Hollywood doing the same. He's had to move back once for 2 years, now he's been back in Cali for 5 months and is in a few scenes of Mad Men.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Tell them it's the hills that they smell burning.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    cabinetmaker:
    HA HA HA! fantastic.