Home General Discussion

How do YOU deal with burn issues.

bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
We all know burn issues with cigars can come from a lot different factors. How they were made, shipping, storage, cutting and lighting. The cigar can be high-end or factory seconds. Regardless of the reason, how do you specifically deal with them yourselves. I have had cigars that start off rough and simmer down to a nice, slow and even burn. Depending on the issue I am having with the cigar i may re-light it. I may cut it and re-lite it. I have had a few that were more work then the trouble and just laid them to rest. But how do y'all generally deal with burn issues with cigars?

Comments

• camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    I deal with a burn issue right away. I have tried to be patient, "let the cigar correct itself" sort of approach, but that usually ends with a real bad burn and bad taste. If the cigar starts burning crooked, I will:

• take a "one, two, three" puff and see if it corrects
    • blow through the cigar to expell extra gases, which sometimes corrects the burn
    • hit it with a flame and stop wasting my time

If all this fails, the cigar is toast...or not, as it were.

Almost forgot....if I have one type/brand/size of cigar that gives me trouble, I "dry-box" the stick from a few hours to a couple days, depending on how 'oily' that cigar is. This will reduce the RH of the wrapper and give the cigar a better burn, and even improve everything about it. The 5 Vegas Relic is a perfect example of a cigar that will burn better if dry-boxed.

• bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
    I see. On some occasions the burn will be so uneven, I will clip the cigar right below the ash and I would be amazed to see portion of the foot not even burning while the other end is red ash. I clip even re-lite and go back at it. This usually corrects everything and I can enjoy the rest of the cigar with even burn. I have yet to encounter a nub brand that ever did anything but burn nice even and slow.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Zulu whats your humidity at?
    Sounds like it might be running high.
    Also how are you lighting your smokes?

• Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 682
    bluezulu:
    But how do y'all generally deal with burn issues with cigars?
    A lighter.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I will do many of the steps listed above. but when all else fails and I'm done wasting time, to correct i will just torch the area that is protruding to help it catch up, works really well actually.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I'll generally tolerate an unevel burn as long as there is less than 1/4" difference between the leading and trailing edge. Anything else gets a touch-up with the torch unless I can see that it's on it's way to self correction.
  • tkohlertkohler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 70
    Here's a thread with more info, oh hey, you even started it! :-) http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/178916.aspx
    That is so bizarre? Was it a double post. Wow they say the mind is the first thing to go. Lol so now I have to use the search function to see If I have posted a topic myself. On a less disturbing note. Thanks for the feedback. I just got a new humi with a digital monitor. I honestly believe my burn issues are cigar related when they do happen.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I found that if the cigar was not lit correctly initially, then burn problems develope down the road. Sort of a "reap what you sow" sort of thing. I make sure the entire foot and the wrapper is lit when I light up.
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    Sometimes if you are having burn issues with a bunch of sticks and your RH is good and you are lighting right it could be your draw if you are not drawing on the cigar enough to keep the hole foot hot it will start down a terrible road which there is no turning back (ok maybe a bit over exagerated but it is hard to fix if its how you are drawing)
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I hold my breath, stomp my feet and cry!

Typically when I have burn issues its because I havent let the cigar rest enough from the transition from shipping to smoking.
    I just had burn issues with a cigar that I purchased 4 weeks ago, but it was a tubo. So Im going to take the remainder out of the tubo and see if they acclimate.

• vegassparkyvegassparky Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 365
    did you smoke half...but it out and store it in the tubo for later....4 weeks later?
    All of these recommendations, they are all good, point me to the direction that this hobby of ours is a hobby and an art. Even more then wine tasting. This is not like riding a bike or having relations. At least to enjoy it anyway. Thanks for adding to my knowledge.
    on Lighting. Charr the foot. Charred all the way. Light the end again while drawing. Three of four good puffs. Take a look see where it is not red ash. Blow. If it does not catch on re-light. Draw again. This should do it. If not re-light the end blow again. Puff. Usually get it. If the ceiling fan on my front porch is on it will make the cigar burn fast but not un-even.