Home General Discussion

Kristoff

Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
So I was at a retail store last week and saw a kristoff on the shelf. Truth be told I had never actually smoked one but had heard good things. I burned that sucker last night and I have to say, I don't understand the hype. It just didn't do much for me. Anyone else have experience with these? Maybe I just got a bad one.

Comments

• One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I've not tried one either. My friend, who is relatively new to cigars loves them. To each their own. I just like so many sticks I'm not in a huge hurry to try them.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I have a few resting... I'll burn one and see what it's about.

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    stephen_hannibal:
    I have a few resting... I'll burn one and see what it's about.

I have a Kristoff Maduro in the humi thanks to ^ this guy! I haven't had it yet but it's the biggest freakin stick I've ever seen!
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I can't seem to find any :( Really wanna try some though.
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    wwhwang:
    I can't seem to find any :( Really wanna try some though.
    PM Sent
  • mrpillowmrpillow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 464
    I love the Kristoff Maduro. One of my favorite smokes. Great flavor, great smoke output, and super long burn time. Might be a bit one dimensional for people with more advanced palettes or those who like more variety, but it just the right flavor for me.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Alex Svenson:
    So I was at a retail store last week and saw a kristoff on the shelf. Truth be told I had never actually smoked one but had heard good things. I burned that sucker last night and I have to say, I don't understand the hype. It just didn't do much for me. Anyone else have experience with these? Maybe I just got a bad one.

A local B&M Tobacco Republic In Loomis Ca has several Different ones. They seem to alwasy be pushing them on me so One Day While looking around the guy says man you got to try one of these... so I did.... NOT IMPRESSED. Overpriced ,OVERHYPED ,,,,,,, NEXT! Thanks Alex!
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Alex Svenson:

They do have a Great Walk in Humidor!
    http://www.trcigar.com/
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 628
    I got one in a game, or PIF, or something. Not a bad smoke, but I didn't have to pay for it. I don't know if I would spend my own money on it, but then again, I don't know how much they cost :)
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    My b&m has them, I've tried several of them and they are pretty damn nice. Especially the maddys. They are a bit steep in price, but everything is worth what they buyer will pay.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i liked the Kristoff Sumatra but i did i find it to be not very complex. im not running out to buy a box but should i find myself in with one in hand i would have no problem burning one again.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Alex Svenson:
    I think it may just be a case of differing palates. As a personal example, I didn't , and still don't, get the hype behind the Diesel UC, to me there is nothin particularly appealing about that cigar. And for the record I am a fan of Kristoff, what I like about the cigars is how smooth and pleasant they are, they're a nice change pace compared to the med-full and full bodied cigars I usually smoke. And that's me, I wouldn't expect anyone else to feel the same.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I recently had their Vegeance Series 98 and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to trying out the other Kristoff sticks I have in my humi.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I grabbed a sampler of kristoff a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to trying them out. Haven't ever had one.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    never really thought about trying them, to be honest...so many cigars, so little time!
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    mrpillow:
    I love the Kristoff Maduro. One of my favorite smokes. Great flavor, great smoke output, and super long burn time. Might be a bit one dimensional for people with more advanced palettes or those who like more variety, but it just the right flavor for me.

what he said
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    Agree with Cank and Pillow-----but I dont even find in one dimensional, unless that one dimension is d@mn good. Sumatra is best, Maduro and Ligero Maduro are 2nd best. A will say the price point is a couple bucks too high, which is my only drawback for it.....I love though that cigars can be so great to some and average for others. Some would take a Sherpa over an Opus X (ok maybe not, but you get the idea), the pallate and personal taste are amazing differences in smokers I just love.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r sent me a massive Kristoff Ligero a few days ago. Going to smoke it over the weekend probably. I'll be sure to report back with a review.
  • Husker44Husker44 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 172
    I have had two now. The second one was much better than the 1st one. Enough that I went to get another to rest in the humi for a bit.

That said perhaps it is a newbs cigar, as I have not been smoking long. I'm guessing as I smoke more it may be one I find "simple" as others have said
  • mrpillowmrpillow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 464
    Had another Maduro last night in the Matador size, fantastic as usual. Great flavor, flawless burn. I haven't tried the Sumatra or Criollo offerings from Kristoff, but the Maduro is a sure winner in my book.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    j0z3r:
    Alex Svenson:
    I think it may just be a case of differing palates. As a personal example, I didn't , and still don't, get the hype behind the Diesel UC, to me there is nothin particularly appealing about that cigar. And for the record I am a fan of Kristoff, what I like about the cigars is how smooth and pleasant they are, they're a nice change pace compared to the med-full and full bodied cigars I usually smoke. And that's me, I wouldn't expect anyone else to feel the same.
    +1 on the Diesel UC it just doesn't do it for me either. Back to the topic, I have had a kristoff Maddy but it was def unrested. I will revisit another one to see if I get a better experience out of it. hahahaha guess that's a bad habbit I have huh Joe? Getting overly excited about a stick and not letting it rest....must resist temptation
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I've had a couple Maddys and I like it not very complex but some times I like just toast for breakfast. I like it alot but i have to make plans to smoke it as it took over 2hrs the last time and i had some left. I will keep one resting as a verygood change of pace but a lower price point would be nice.
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Alex Svenson:
    Alex, I must say, this pretty much sums up my impression as well. I've tried a couple different Kristoffs so far, as well as one from their Vengeance line, and was thoroughly underwhelmed. The Vengeance, in particular, made me feel as though I seriously wasted my money - it was dreadful.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 321
    I had a similar experience. A fellow BOTL raved about Kristoff I'd also heard alot about them in online forums. Then a local B&M had a "Kristoff Event" about a month ago, I decided to go and see what the fuss was all about.

They had the usual buy 5 get 2 free Kinda deal, and had 7 stick 'sampler' packs already made up, I grabbed one of the packs, so each stick basically cost $7.03 inc. tax.

As usual at these things I smoked one there and brought the rest home where they are still restin gin my humi. Typically, when i smoke a stick, although I don't (but probbaly should!) make any record of my impressions of it, taste, burn, smoke etc. I am usually left with a positive or negative mental impression which will vary from "tastes like goats ass" through, "hmm, should try again" to "buy a box". With the Kristoffs it's hard to recall any impression from that first smoke, so for now I can only describe them as mediocre; sorry, to all the BOTL out there who worship Kristoff, just my personal impression that doesn't count for much in the grand scheme of things, and I am not saying it was bad, it just didn't amount to the expectation that had already been set in my mind.

Will have to pay attention when I get to burn the remaining 6 that are in my humi.