Home General Discussion

HELP!

illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
sooo my air conditioning just died and its quickly getting close to 80 degrees in my apt, what should I do to keep my sticks from gettin beetles???!!! Also anyone know why my central air is pushin out NOT cool air??

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Relax. Breath in and exhale slooowly. This is my third summer of cigar smoking and during each one my humidors have settled around eighty degrees, not a beetle in sight. Of course I don't recommend keeping a high temp if you can help it, I can't help it and for the time being neither can you. I can't promise your cigars will be fine, but I can say all of mine have survived, and I have more than a few cigars.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    go to walmart or grocery store..u know those frozen plastic ice box's that you throw in coolers when camping...u can put one of those wrapped n paper towel to bring down temp...i do it to mine from time to time
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Have you checked the air filter? If it's too clogged, it may overexert itself just to push air. If it's not that, there may be a mechanical failure somewhere. Last time the air conditioning shut down here was years ago. Turns out the generator thing (I dunno what it's called right now) broke down because it's too old. Cost my family 3000 to replace it.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Don't know what is wrong with your AC, but you can set a fan up blowing at your humidor, and keep the general area cool.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    My A/C is working, send your cigars to me! ;)

In all seriousness, sorry about your A/C. As Joe said, they'll probably be ok. Work on fixing the Air Conditioner before you worry about beetles.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    I have used a cooler with an ice pack or two inside and then placed my humidors in there. Haven't had to do it yet this year so far. My coolerdor doesn't have a problem.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 783
    We just had the same issue last week. Ours was the circuit board was fried. Hooked up a new one cooled fast after that.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    illinoisgolf99:
    Also anyone know why my central air is pushin out NOT cool air??
    As stated already, check the filter. Also, you may just have the temp set too low. A couple years ago I had mine set to like 50, and it stopped working. Air would come out, but it was warm. The repairman came to fix it and said I had it set too low. When it's 100+ outside and you set it that low it just can't do it, so he set it to a more reasonable temp and the thing fixed itself. I felt like an ass, but I had no clue about how they worked at that time. So maybe set it to like 70 or 75 and see if it rights itself. If you've already done that then I have no clue. Call a repairman.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Might just need freon. Go outside and check the copper lines to the compressor. If they are frozen, then you need to get re-charged.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    Here is a short list to look at and I might be able to help more after you check these.
    You said its central, Is the condenser running (outside unit) and clean
    Is the furnace filter clean?
    If the outside unit is working is the larger copper line frozen up
    There are a lot of reasons that the AC might not be working but starting with these they are the easiest to check and give you an idea of where the problem is. I am a certified HVAC Tech and can try to walk you though as much as possible but start with those 3 things and then I can think of what to go to next without checking a lot of stuff that wont matter.
    Dustin
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    thanks to all for the advice, apartment maintenance came today and fixed it.. apparently the people who put them in switched some capacitors and compressors with the apartment above mine, said they've never seen anything like it before, oh well hopefully now its fixed..
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    laker1963:
    I have used a cooler with an ice pack or two inside and then placed my humidors in there. Haven't had to do it yet this year so far. My coolerdor doesn't have a problem.
    this is a damn fine idea.

im gunna use that next time my A/C goes out.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    look at this guy, his ac not workin and the first thing hes worried about is his cigars! thats some serious love man!
  • MrMokeMrMoke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 321
    Mine died last weekend, Friday morning, both units, blower motor gave up the ghost, ended up getting a new furnace and evaporator coil.

The upstairs was going to be a complete replacement, luckily the a/c guy worked out that for some reason the furnace was coming on with the a/c so it was cooling the air then heating it up again! He switched off the gas, I'll still need to get that looked at but it saved me the $9,600 for replacing the system.

While the a/c was off I went to Wal-Mart and got a window a/c unit. Put it in the bedroom with a fan in the doorway blowing out so the bedroom was nice and cool and you could at least survive moving around the rest of the house.

Down here on the gulf coast it's difficult (and expensive) to get the temp below 80, I usually have the thermostat set to 78, RH in my humis at 70% not a sign of a beetle all the years I've been smokin.

I think the temp has to stay up and RH too to allow beetles to hatch

So, quit worrying, go outside, find a cool shady spot and smoke a cigar ;)

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    zeebra:
    look at this guy, his ac not workin and the first thing hes worried about is his cigars! thats some serious love man!
    ..that's the part that I thought was kind of funny. Have you ever heard the term "Save the women and children first ?.. " well , there are priorities in every situation.