Home General Discussion

How do YOU deal with burn issues?

bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
I have seen videos on you tube, read on the subject and viewed internet threads. Even the best cigar and cigar smoker will have them. But how do you deal with them? I have heard of the clip method and the lighter burn method. My brother who is not a cigar smoker told me to wet the fast burning end. Are there any tips beside making sure you have proper lighting and wind to make sure you do all you can do to prevent burn issues and if you do get them deal with them. I can deal with an inferior cigar but uneven burn just burns me up every time.

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    If the cigar is properly stored, it will eliminate a lot of burn issues that humidity can cause. That said, yeah... some are unavoidable. I tend to prefer to touch up the burn line with a torch if possible. If the stick is plugged, use a poker.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I stare at it and force it to fix itself out of fear that I will whip kick it in the face
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 83
    I usually just let time do it's think, burn issues are either from less than optimum storing conditions, or smoking conditions, ie: wind, speed of the smoked etc. I've found that the top of the cigar cools quicker than the bottom of the cigar so just rotate the cigar so that the side that's running is on top and SLOW DOWN, after 10 minutes or so you should have a clean burn line. Don't micromanage the cigar you're supposed to enjoy it, not make smoking a chore.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I don't mind touching up my cigars with a single-flame torch. As long as it doesn't become a pain from constant attention or interfere with the flavors of the cigar, I get over it quickly. A friend of mine who I smoked with last week made a really big deal out of touching up a cigar I gave him - I don't quite understand. It's going to happen occasionally with most cigars, even if they are stored perfectly. To be frank, I'd rather have a cigar that tastes great and needs some touching up than a cigar that burns perfectly and just tastes ok.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I don't worry about it or pay attention to it unless it effects the taste, or volume of smoke that particular stick is supposed to have. If it's a stick I've never had before I pay more attention. I use a single flame torch for touch ups.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    ENFIDL:
    I stare at it and force it to fix itself out of fear that I will whip kick it in the face
    LMAO!!! Shout out to Bruce Lee one time boy! :-D WHA-KAAAAA!!! :-D
    TheDrifter:
    I usually just let time do it's think, burn issues are either from less than optimum storing conditions, or smoking conditions, ie: wind, speed of the smoked etc. I've found that the top of the cigar cools quicker than the bottom of the cigar so just rotate the cigar so that the side that's running is on top and SLOW DOWN, after 10 minutes or so you should have a clean burn line. Don't micromanage the cigar you're supposed to enjoy it, not make smoking a chore.
    Good call Drifter! Rotating the cigar is how I try to prevent burn issues from happening, and it does the trick about 95% of the time. If it does happen, a quick touch up should be all thats necessary.

That being said, if I have to touch one up multiple times, to the point where smoking it becomes a pain in the booty instead of the time-out from stress and the world tha a cigar is supposed to be for me, I pitch it. I will give that type of stick a couple more tries in the future, and in a couple different sizes (and size can make a HUGE difference in some lines). If I continue to get burn issues again and again, that stick goes in what I think of as my "Padilla Obsidian File" - too much of a pain in the sac to deal with. And I dont buy them anymore.

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    ENFIDL:
    Video of said whip kick!!!
    stephen_hannibal:
    ENFIDL:
    Video of said whip kick!!!
    Thats CRAZY!!! ENFIDEL's cigars dont stand a chance! LOL
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 83
    The Sniper:
    TheDrifter:
    Good call Drifter! Rotating the cigar is how I try to prevent burn issues from happening, and it does the trick about 95% of the time. If it does happen, a quick touch up should be all thats necessary.

That being said, if I have to touch one up multiple times, to the point where smoking it becomes a pain in the booty instead of the time-out from stress and the world tha a cigar is supposed to be for me, I pitch it. I will give that type of stick a couple more tries in the future, and in a couple different sizes (and size can make a HUGE difference in some lines). If I continue to get burn issues again and again, that stick goes in what I think of as my "Padilla Obsidian File" - too much of a pain in the sac to deal with. And I dont buy them anymore.

True, paying too much attention to a cigar defeats the purpose ha. I also think it comes down to synergy between the cigar and the smoker, some sizes and shapes just don't agree with some smokers.
  • tkohlertkohler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 70
    For me, it depends on how bad the burn issue is. I find myself anally correcting minor burn issues with a quick swipe of a single torch lighter. However, if it gets bad where there is one fast portion getting out of hand, I'll stop and let the cigar put itself out, then light the slow burning side and smoke. By the time it catches up with the fast burning side, it has lit itself the rest of the way. I don't mind touching up a cigar here and there (as a pipe smoker sometimes you get used to 'working' with the tobacco), but it can get excessive at times. Very rarely will I cut a cigar and do a full relight, generally the wrapper cracks quite a bit where I cut, and it just re-establishes an uneven burn.