Home General Discussion

What will you pay

jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
I just smoked a padilla 1932 the msrp on these are like 13 dollars.I have never paid more than four for them. But it made me think what is the limit you will pay for a cigar? I try to stay in the three to five dollar range but would be willing to pay up to 20 to 30 for something I know I love for something special.

Comments

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    for a good cigar....like a padilla or something i have smoked before that i like...probably 6/7 dollars...but i do have a few 30 dollar sticks just to say i have them and will try one day
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Depends on the stick, the price, time of the year, or month, how much room I have, etc. I don't have a set price limit. I'll try a stick once, sometimes even at an inflated price just so I can try it, and after smoking it I decide what it's worth to me, and if I see it at that price in future, assuming it's even something I like, I will buy it, or not if it's just overpriced. Hopefully that makes sense. I got a lot of sun today and I feel kind of weird.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    It just depends on the cigar for me. I'm not rich by any means, but I will pay $30+ if I thought it was worth it. I've smoked a couple $20+ sticks and I can't say I had one thats been worth it so far, but I have no problem dropping $10-15 on a Padron '64.
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    it depends on my financial situation at the time... i've bought a few padrons for 13 or so... that's the most i've paid for a cigar thus far...
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    My girlfriend got me a box of 1926 Padron's. They're about $30/stick. Hands down the best cigar I've ever smoked, but it's the type of cigar that I could only smoke on a very special situation. I have several 1964 Padron's for about $10/cigar that are for slightly less special occasions. On a regular basis, I try to stick to under $3/cigar but I wouldn't shy away from a good $6 cigar like a PSD4 or RASS.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    When I first started, I'd try to keep it under $2. It was easier back then because there was no SCHIP tax. Now I try to it around $3 for my everyday smoke (daily deal price). I have a lot of AJ Fernandez sticks if that tells you anything. I usually keep my super premium stash to a minimum. I don't have more the 5-6 on hand and any given time and save those for certain occasions an pick those up at the B&M to show face.
  • TheDrifterTheDrifter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 83
    I wouldn't say I have a ceiling but I'm not buying $20+ sticks on a regular basis either. The Padron '26 maduro and Partagas ltd reserve I have no problem dropping money on. I try to have one of each in my humidor at any given time. I will say I've had a Gurkha Royal Reserve, which is a $35 stick and wasn't fond of it at all.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    For a long while, I was sticking to the $2-5 price range. Thanks to Jeff Jackson here at ccom, there are a ton of cigars that retail in the $10 range that he can get me in the $2-5 range!

Lately, since I've collected around 300 sticks, I've been getting the $7-10 range sticks, like LFDs, Tatuajes, and others that you simply can't find for less than retail price. To be perfectly frank, they are worth the extra cost, in my humble opinion. But I simply can't afford to buy that many cigars at that price for every day cigars. Some day...

I've also collected a decent amount of "super premiums" like OpusX, Anejo, 1964 maduros, GoF, a few ISOMs, etc. But aside from the Anejo and Padron 1964, I'm not sure they are worth the extra cost.
  • coachjamiecoachjamie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    I have had a couple of sticks that were $10-$13 each and I can't say for a minute that it was worth it over a bunch of sticks I have paid $2-$3 for. None of them were better than a Diesel to me. I always keep Devil's Weed on hand $1.50 ea and I just got some Fumas torpedos for $1.00 ea. They are better than most I have had for $10 ea. The only ones I have had that I don't mind paying $7-8 each for so far is LFD DL or Air Bender...they are great in my opinion but not something I am gonna spend that much on to smoke them every day. Those will be my special occasion stick. I wish CCOM carried them though.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Well, I'm not gonna say how much I paid for the HMRs but let's just say that I don't have a limit when it comes to something I want to try unless it is something like $500 or more. There might be something I want to try that makes me splurge or for the sheer novelty but it's not often.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I would not pay $30 for opus/anejo, but I'll pay msrp all day long. I have plenty of $20/$30/$50 sticks, and those I have are worth the price with the exception of the Gurkha beast & Titan; would not pay more than $8/stick on those. Padron anniversarys are worth the price, imo.
  • thehoffthehoff Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 76
    I pay pretty much whatever to get the cigars I want. Paid over $20 per to get some rare Tatuajes (Halloween versions, I know that doesn't make me not a tool). That being said, I have plenty of $1.80 Perdomos and $2-3 5 Vegas on up to my GOFs and Ashton ESGs.