Home General Discussion

Creepy B&M experience....

lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
I had one of the weirdest, most awkward B&M experiences recently that I just had to share.......

Ok, I'm not going to name this B&M, cuz it's not really a dig at the owner or the shop, itself. It was just a weird set of circumstances. I'll give a little background on the shop first. I don't normally go to this shop, cuz its out of the way and has limited hours, but the selection is pretty big and it's one of the few places around that carries Tats and Liga Privadas. It's not really a lounge, per se...... it's pretty small, so there's really only room for a big walk-in, a couple sliding glass cases, the store counter and a small leather love seat with a coffee table. Again, not knocking the place. It is what it is......

On the day in question, I just popped in to see what they had in terms of Flying Pigs and I walked into an Oliva Event. Sounds cool, huh? Well, the event consisted of the owner, a creepy, pushy rep and now me..... Awkward! He had a small display set up with some boxes of Cains, NUBS and Oliva V samplers. He also had some golf shirts and hats. He wasn't offering much as far as discounts and give-aways. If you bought any three you get one free (meh). And if you made a box purchase you got your pick from a V sampler, golf shirt n hat or a NUB sampler. No Cain F NUB for this event.... (boo-hoo). All in all, a pretty nonplus event...... except for the fact that it was just the three of us!!! I asked the owner if he advertised the event, cuz I never heard about it. He said he posted up signs last week (not good). I kinda felt bad for the guy, cuz I know that it can be kind of expensive to hold an event. A lot of reps want a fee up front.

So, I poked around and asked a few questions. I also made the mistake of saying that I was a fan of Oliva stuff (woops. now the rep thinks he has a fish!). I wasn't in the mood for any Cains or NUBS, so I asked about the V sampler. At first he said it only came with a box purchase..... but then he switched gears and was willing to sell it our right for $50. Nah. I've seen it cheaper. As I'm looking he's just throwing out deals and bargains and getting pretty desperate. I've never been pushed so much in my life. I had to walk away. So, I went to go look for my original purchase, the Ligas.

While I'm looking, the owner keeps coming up to me and making offers on the Oliva stuff. I keep having to say no and now I'm getting annoyed for being put on the spot. He kept pushing me about the V sampler. I finally told him that I've seen it for under $30 elsewhere. Then he looked offended and demanded where I saw it for that cheap, like I was lying..... Unreal. I gotta get outta here before it gets ugly.

The whole thing wasn't a complete loss..... I found some Anejos No. 46s for $10 each (score) and he was willing to sell me a box of Flying Pigs (12) for $120, but I didn't bite. I'll sleep on that one......

Comments

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Wow, as pushy as they both were...I probably would just just turned around and left. I hate when I get stalked by a creeper rep..."wanna buy this...wanna buy that...I'll give it to you for whatever...blah blah..." I had one of those from Alec Bradley follow me into a humi once, dude was all over me too...finally lost it when he wanted to cut my cigar (actually tried to grab it out of my hand)...I told him that I thought that was rude, I don't offer to cut other people's cigars (unless THEY ask), I almost left without buying anything. B&M owners should really notice how these reps act while in their shop...they could be costing them more business than creating it.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    That does sound pretty creepy. I wouldve left as well right when they first started crowding me IF i was the only person in the store like you were. I cant stand that kind of stuff.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Hey man weird or not...PM me the name of the B&M w/a phone number so I can try for the No. 46s for $10!!!
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 181
    I went to an Oliva event recently that only had Gs and Os, the only Vs to be found were in that sampler you mentioned also that came free with a box. The owner had some Cains in the humi, but the rep had brought out the other Oliva stuff to display.
    I dunno how much the selection has to do with the rep or the B&M, but I was planning on grabbing a bunch of Vs and left with 3+1 Gs.

I like the G and O series, but it would be like Ford having a car show and pimping Econolines and F-150's. At least no one was pushy.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Least you guys get events :P No events in Mississippi unless it's Avalon cigars, which started in the Delta area of MS and have a distributor in Madison, MS. It's virtually unknown in the cigar world.

However, I do feel for you guys. From this story, it seems that some reps forget what they actually are. Representatives for the company they work for. If they start pushing people around or creeping customers out, it just casts a negative image about who they work for to a lot of customers.
  • coachjamiecoachjamie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    coachjamie:
    Flying Pigs??
    a short fat perfecto vitola with a pigtail cap on it that liga privada puts out.

about 1 to 1hour and 30 minutes to smoke

limited release. i think the run is all over. any you find now are from an "accidental second release" or leftovers from the original run a few months ago.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Which is why I'm really considering making that box purchase.......
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    lilwing88:
    Interested in a box split?
    cabinetmaker:
    lilwing88:
    I'll have to figure out my finances for the week..... I'll let you know......
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    lilwing88:
    cabinetmaker:
    lilwing88:
    I'll have to figure out my finances for the week..... I'll let you know......
    if I wasn't so darn poor I would have asked that sooner :(
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Reps charging a fee for an event? WHAT!? I have been doing all mine for free. I benefit from the sales so I don't see why a rep would charge a fee. Also, IMO a rep ought to be promoting his own events as well to ensure a good turn out.
    jsnake:
    Reps charging a fee for an event? WHAT!? I have been doing all mine for free. I benefit from the sales so I don't see why a rep would charge a fee. Also, IMO a rep ought to be promoting his own events as well to ensure a good turn out.
    I don't know for sure if this rep charged. I know it varies depending on the company. But I think it's fairly common depending on the size of the event, and what not. I agree that a rep should promote his/her own events. If I were one, I'd make dang sure there was a nice turn out.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    jsnake:
    I think it's a matter of the balance between how big the brand is. B&Ms would probably pay for big companies like RP or Oliva to host events because they are well-known brands and consumer demand is high. For startup brands like 262, we would be doing it for free because we want to generate buzz and brand recognition. Like you said, the rep benefits from the sales.
  • smbrinksmbrink Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Wow. I dunno what I would've done! I'm not very good in those kinda situations.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Same thing here in Ma. last April. Oliva Rep, Store Owner, 80 year old man sitting in there doing nothing and myself. No Cain, or Cain NUB. Not as pushy but, similar (so called) deals.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I think the reps who have a b&m that sells a ton of their product would not charge for an event no matter large or small the company is.
    I guess it all depends on the type of event, as well. The bigger the event, the more a store owner might put up of his own money for refreshments, food and prizes. This event was bare bones. So, I could see the rep not charging here. Which may explain his pushy demeanor.