Home General Discussion

Price Vs. Flavor

thehoffthehoff Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 76
Lately I looked in my humidor to do a random inventory check and noticed that I didn't have very many, or any, of certain cigars that I am enamored with.  Don't get me wrong, what I do have was all cigars that I enjoy but it got me thinking.  Most of what I had were solid cigars from solid brands that I had picked up cheap.  A lot of cigars I have been avoiding lately, San Cristobal, Camacho Corojo, Tatuajes, Fusions, and Fuentes are ones that have either increased in price over the past couple months or are rarely found on sale.  Many times I avoid a cigar because I have a set price in my head that I refuse to go over, even if it is a few dollars for a five pack.  By no means am I complaining; I have plenty of sticks I really enjoy.  I just want to know if other cigar smokers do the same thing.  Do you pay whatever the market dictates to only have cigars you love or, like me, refuse to budge from set price points and go to the "next best, available cigar?  I'm very curious to see what others do.

Comments

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    im the same...i go to the next best cigar...i have opus and what not in my humi, just wont smoke them daily...i tend to pick up the box deals and DD here or box splits with the guys which really helps your price bro...also, if u call Jeff J or any other sales guys, they will hook u up big time normally
  • bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
    Great topic. For me there are so many cigars that I haven't tried, it is easy to just pick what you are willing to pay. It is all relative. So far the most expensive cigar I have purchased was for 10 bucks. It was alright but I have had some 6 to 7 bucks smokes that were pure heaven. One day I may splurge on a 25 dollar stick but it has to be a very special occasion.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    It depends on the smoke. Some I'm willing to spend more on, and others I won't. In general I don't buy it unless it's on sale or special, but that doesn't mean I won't buy expensive sticks. I just wait and hunt for a good price. As far as smoking something nice, it doesn't have to be a special occasion for me burn an expensive stick. If I feel like a GoF, I have a GoF. I did the other night in fact. Goddamn thing was plugged, and I ended up smoking a 2 dollar Cuavana Intenso, but that's beside the point. If I sit around and wait for the perfect time those things will never get smoked, and I bought them to smoke, enjoy, and experience them.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Great topic, I have set limits on what I will pay regardless which will dictate what ends up in my Humi. Good sticks but maybe not what I truly love to smoke
  • babsdpubabsdpu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 143
    I've found that there are certain smokes I've had a long time ago and loved, that I haven't had in quite a while because I haven't been able to justify spending more than what I otherwise would for a cigar. Those are the ones I'd save for a special occasion or pick up at my local B&M when I want to find a single. It doesn't bother me a whole lot, though, since there are so many great brands out there to try that can be had for cheap!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    My humidor is a mixed bag. But generally I don't buy it if it's not on sale. Tons of great cigars can be had for fairly cheap if you have a little patience, to watch for specials.

I tend to not smoke as many of my favorites though. I think it's the fear that'll loose that special something. Who knows it's whatever....