Home General Discussion

flavor profile

jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
OK I have been smoking for some time I know what I like and dont I understand spicy, sweet, sour, salty but can someone please expound on what the hell people are talking about when they say stuff like wood, leather, chocolate(which I love even temper my own), nutty and all the like.

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    When you exhale the smoke through your nose, does it taste like those flavors? Tasting is 80% nose. You should also read Kuzi's "developing your palate" thread.
  • Husker44Husker44 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 172
    I've tried exhaling some through the nose, but I will have to built up a tolerance to it. The first time it felt like I got water up my nose. So unenjoyable that I haven't done it since.

That said it absolutely changed the experience of the cigar and it was much more flavorful
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    Husker44:
    I've tried exhaling some through the nose, but I will have to built up a tolerance to it. The first time it felt like I got water up my nose. So unenjoyable that I haven't done it since. That said it absolutely changed the experience of the cigar and it was much more flavorful
    to start out just try to blow all but a small amount of smoke out of your mouth and try two swallow and exhale at the same time you dont need to get alot of smoke threw your nose to pick up more flavor it does burn a little until you get used to it
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Basically what jship said, I rarely ever blow more than 10% of the smoke through my nose, except with mild cigars, any more kind of defeats the purpose as you get the nasal burn and can't really pick up on the notes...just a little does you good.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    sightunseen:
    When you exhale the smoke through your nose, does it taste like those flavors? Tasting is 80% nose. You should also read Kuzi's "developing your palate" thread.
    that thread needs some updating but it still is very useful. you can ask questions in there too.
    its just below the line here, in my signature: