Home Non Cigar Related

Home Brew Beer

jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
Does anybody here do home brew beer? This is something I have been think ing about doing for years and I think I am about ready. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I am already very aware of the need for sterilization so please spare me from that lecture.

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    there is a homebrew bible out there you should check out. also, i recommend buying a beer kit with all the malt and hops you need from a homebrew supply store. once you get the hang of it, then start making your own wort from toasted grains, but to start, crystal or liquid malt is your friend. i have only brewed twice and it was a lot easier to do the liquid malt. there is a homebrew place on 12th, kinda by Gary's Cigars.
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    this is my setup. Just so you know you will NOT save money making your own beer. You will however make the nectar of the gods lol.

www.homebrewtalk.com the absolute best knowledge base for home brewing hope this helps if you decide to do it! If you do and decide to go all grain brewing lemme know i'll give ya some pretty good recipes.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    wwestern:
    imageimage this is my setup. Just so you know you will NOT save money making your own beer. You will however make the nectar of the gods lol. www.homebrewtalk.com the absolute best knowledge base for home brewing hope this helps if you decide to do it! If you do and decide to go all grain brewing lemme know i'll give ya some pretty good recipes.
    Holy crap! That is a good set up! lol
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    wwestern:
    imageimage this is my setup. Just so you know you will NOT save money making your own beer. You will however make the nectar of the gods lol. www.homebrewtalk.com the absolute best knowledge base for home brewing hope this helps if you decide to do it! If you do and decide to go all grain brewing lemme know i'll give ya some pretty good recipes.
    When I first started reading about it I thought I wanted to just go straight to all grain brews. I think I have read enough now to know that I would be biting off more than I could chew. I think I will definitely start with a malt extract.
    I did one extract brew then went to all grain. All grain is amazing. If you like microbrew beer homebrewing is a great hobby.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I've done 6 or 7 batches of extract brews, some from kits and some from recipes. All but one batch was fantastic. Every batch, my friend and I who brew together always ask ourselves, "would I buy this in a store?" and the answer is always YES! It is surprisingly easy to make very good beer. We'll probably start all grain beers soon, but with the correct recipe, you don't have to go quite that far. Some of the "intermediate" brewing recipes are very, very good! There can be a substantially larger start up cost if you do all grain recipes, so keep that in mind.
    TatuajeVI:
    I've done 6 or 7 batches of extract brews, some from kits and some from recipes. All but one batch was fantastic. Every batch, my friend and I who brew together always ask ourselves, "would I buy this in a store?" and the answer is always YES! It is surprisingly easy to make very good beer. We'll probably start all grain beers soon, but with the correct recipe, you don't have to go quite that far. There can be a substantially larger start up cost if you do all grain recipes, so keep that in mind.

Very true. Including my kegerator build I'm at about 1500.
    wwestern:
    TatuajeVI:
    I've done 6 or 7 batches of extract brews, some from kits and some from recipes. All but one batch was fantastic. Every batch, my friend and I who brew together always ask ourselves, "would I buy this in a store?" and the answer is always YES! It is surprisingly easy to make very good beer. We'll probably start all grain beers soon, but with the correct recipe, you don't have to go quite that far. There can be a substantially larger start up cost if you do all grain recipes, so keep that in mind.
    Very true. Including my kegerator build I'm at about 1500.
    THAT is badass!
    This is my kegerator

Here is my fermenting closet. (Still not sure how I conned the wife into letting me have this closet for brewing lol.) In here I have a double IPA (108 IBU) in the bucket. A wheat bear in the carboy, and a 12% alc sweet stout in the corny keg (been aging for about a year now) And in the top of the closet I got an orange/honey mead going with about a year on it too.
    Sorry for the sizing photobucket sucks.
    What is the "DO NOT OPEN WITH KNIFE" sign for?
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    I heart homebrewing.. started when I was 18 brewing a great german wheat beer in my condo while my mom was at work.. stored it in my closet. It turned out great but due to some financial strains at the time I sold my kit, love home brewed beer though. It just so happens that my apt neighbor brews his own and started the S. Illinois Home Brew Club, he just brewed a Red Ale that is fantastic!
    TatuajeVI:
    What is the "DO NOT OPEN WITH KNIFE" sign for?
    Box of corn dogs lol
    BUMP, I'm about to start a batch of Canadian Lager and a batch of Blonde Ale and thought I'd see what everyone else is brewing this summer.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    jpclotfelter:
    Does anybody here do home brew beer? This is something I have been think ing about doing for years and I think I am about ready. Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

I am already very aware of the need for sterilization so please spare me from that lecture.
    Have home brewed on and off for forty years. It is certainly not difficult, nor does it require any expertise. Here's how I do it:

I get liquid wort from an on-line supplier. It comes in a can. Looks like caramel. I have boiled up the malted barley, but that's just a crapload of work. It's not like we're going to plant, reap, thresh, and germinate the barley ... so you gotta draw the line somewhere. I get hops in the flower. They really do taste better than the pellets. I get liquid yeast for the first batch. After your first batch, you can re-grow your own yeast from the sediment at the bottom of a bottle. That's the best way. By about the third batch, your yeast will have adapted to your methods and water, and you'll have a better result. Grow faster and taste better too. Then you just keep re-starting it, like sourdough starter. Of course, the fourth ingredient is the water. It's great if you can fetch your water from a mountain spring. Otherwise, you have to boil the crap out of city water. I have a hygrometer, but I've never felt the need to fool with it. Brewing is not a scientific endeavor. Ignorant aborigines have done it for millennia all over the globe. Although I must say the modern six gallon white plastic pail with an O-ring gasket top is an outstanding modern wrinkle. Just boil your water, add your wort, boil, add your hops in a woman's stocking, to make it easy to get them back out. Let it cool..Add your yeast, then let it sit. Skim the foam off the top every day or two. In a week or week and a half, when it quits fizzing, clean your bottles, pop just a touch of malt sugar into each bottle, and decant your brew into them. Cap and age. In about two weeks, you'll see the sediment has settled and the stuff is good to go. You have to explain to your guests that they need to decant each bottle they drink into a glass. People don't know this stuff, and they will tip a bottle up and drink the sediment. Fall weather is best. Ale is very forgiving. Lager wants cool weather for sure.

Interesting factoid: Dull-Aware is the only state where it's actually illegal to home brew beer. But then, it's illegal to sell venison here, too. Factoid number two: hops make a natural sleeping pill. Just plant them outside a bedroom window.

As for me, I plan a batch of porter, but not until October.

illinoisgolf99:
    BUMP, I'm about to start a batch of Canadian Lager and a batch of Blonde Ale and thought I'd see what everyone else is brewing this summer.
    So far this summer I've done: 2 blondes, a chocolate hazelnut porter, a shakespear stout clone, and a moose drool clone. Next weekend I'm planning on 10 gallons of munich helles.

Oh yeah and I built this over the last few months!

Just need to make my pump housing and get my fittings to attach my thermocouple then it's done. Oh yeah a nice wash is needed too.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    Seriously nice set up Wes.

My buddy and I did up a batch of Belgium Dubbel about 4 years ago and his ex wife just found the last 2 bottles of it in her fridge 2 months ago. Drank it and it was still good, don't know how that happened because it was just pure home brew no perservatives or anything like that. It had changed some over time but nothing so much that you couldn't tell what it was when we brewed it.

Really need to get all the sh!t together and brew up another batch or so.
    Just bottled 2 gallons of Canadian Lager and 2 gallons of Blonde Ale, gonna let them sit for about a month and then cold condition them.. I think next up I'll brew a Belgian Wheat and a West Coast Continental Pale Ale. Really looking forward to these I just bottled, should turn out nicely within 2 months or so.
    illinoisgolf99:
    Just bottled 2 gallons of Canadian Lager and 2 gallons of Blonde Ale, gonna let them sit for about a month and then cold condition them.. I think next up I'll brew a Belgian Wheat and a West Coast Continental Pale Ale. Really looking forward to these I just bottled, should turn out nicely within 2 months or so.
    What yeast you using on the belgian wheat?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    I thought i would bump this thread because home brew is starting to take over my life.

my friends have even made a Facebook page for our "brewery" CLICK
    follow if you wanna see what i am making.

we just bottled Jimi Hendrix Little wing IPA last night and we are three weeks from cracking the first bottle.
    it is a tripple dry hopped Amber IPA. It smells epic and initial tastings show promise. 9.19ABV.

our last beer (Audrey Hepburn Abby style ale) will be included in this years Holiday pass from me.

what are you all brewing?

...hope the link works
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    i presently have 5 gallons of Amber Ale resting in bottles and am planning to get started on an Oktoberfest.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    About to start some test batches of citrusy IPA tomorrow.
    Ken Light:
    what hops are you using?
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    what hops are you using?
    Something similar to, but not citra. I forget, TBH, my buddy and I created this recipe a while back and we're finally getting around to brewing it, and the details are at his place.
    ok... my next beer is going to be a Milk Punch Stout. I have a recipe worked out loosely based off of a milk stout and i had hopes of asking some lingering questions. specifically about some of the wort ingredients and quantities. the other question is about the lactose. if you have a good grasp on making a good milk stout i would love some input, advice, and maybe a good look over the ingredients to see if they should come out alright.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    kuzi16:
    our last beer (Audrey Hepburn Abby style ale) will be included in this years Holiday pass from me.
    This is awesome! Shouldn't be too hard to find someone that will really enjoy this considering the large number of craft brew enthusiasts here. Also, shame on you. Now I'm already thinking ahead to this year's pass and what I could toss in.
    SleevePlz:
    kuzi16:
    This is awesome! Shouldn't be too hard to find someone that will really enjoy this considering the large number of craft brew enthusiasts here. Also, shame on you. Now I'm already thinking ahead to this year's pass and what I could toss in.
    i have already started collecting cigars for this years holiday pass. its going to be better than anything i have ever given in the past.

• SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    kuzi16:
    SleevePlz:
    kuzi16:
    i have already started collecting cigars for this years holiday pass. its going to be better than anything i have ever given in the past.

Damn, that's saying A LOT coming from you. Looks like I need to start planning myself. As for the purpose of this thread. Home brewing is something that I have been meaning to get into for about 15 years now. Considering all of the other projects I have going on right now, it will probably be another year or so before I take the plunge.
  • Mr. Hanky Christmas PooMr. Hanky Christmas Poo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 34
    SleevePlz:
    kuzi16:
    SleevePlz:
    kuzi16:

Damn, that's saying A LOT coming from you. Looks like I need to start planning myself. As for the purpose of this thread. Home brewing is something that I have been meaning to get into for about 15 years now. Considering all of the other projects I have going on right now, it will probably be another year or so before I take the plunge.
    Tony, Poo is always planning for the holidays for U.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Couldn't find any active threads, so thought I would dig this back up. Do we have any home brewers on the forum? Have not brewed in about 2 years with the baby coming into the world, but dug out the equipment to get back into it.