Home General Discussion

Coffins and Sealed boxes...

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
So I just want to throw this out here. I went to have a cigar out of my liberty 08 box on the 4th, now I remember sending one off to another botl here and lighting one up. Now when I pulled open the coffin on the 4th and pulled the cigar out I was shocked! I saw some white mold spots on it. I was freaking out. Now wtf? So a few days ago I went through all of them and all of them but 2 had mold on them. Some more than others but all in all it wasn't too horrible, but it got me thinking. How many of you (us) have cigars that are either sealed in boxes or or coffins or tubes we cant see? So I went through all of my boxes that are sealed and coffins and found them all to be okay but from this occurrence, to the god of fires I am very skeptical of keeping cigars sealed. I need to inspect them. Now it should be mentioned that while the box of liberties were in a large plastic tub, I had another coffin that was sealed in my dome humi and it has some spots on it too! Now that humi stays at a constand 64-65 rh and I have had no issues with anything in there. Just beware people.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i just checked my 05 GoF... all is right with the world.

in theory, the humidity in the coffins should eventually balance out to where you are keeping your humidor if the coffins are not painted or sealed. if they are just wood all should be well. if there is plastic or a finish on the wood then the permeability of the wood is gone. it will hold whatever moisture is or is not in there. a transition in temp could change how much moisture is in the air/cigar within the coffin.
    "should" being the operative word.
    clearly this is not the case 100% of the time.

way to add something else to worry about.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I found that the DC GoF that I got in the tubes had mold. I cleaned them off, turned the cedar around. I should check them again. Anything that is in cello is ok. The few that I have in coffins and are not in cello have the coffins open at the top to make sure that humidity can get in and escape.

And now with that being said, I had about 10 ISOMs sitting in a zip lock bag with a humi pillow and a thick piece of cedar. 3 of those, which are Monti #2s had mold. Note that those three montis all had the same darker color. I had a few from a different batch that were lighter and a few other romeos in there and none of them had mold. Only those three. So, I cleaned them up with a paper towel and froze them for about a week. I have just taken them and put them in the fridge. I'll re-address soon. I may save some cello and put them in there to be safe.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Sealed boxes...does that include boxes that are cellophane wrapped. Because "theoretically", if I remember what I have read in the forums... They can/should be stored just as they are received without any problems. Now I currently have boxes that are "sealed" in cello and boxes that are not sealed where one or two stiks have been taken out. Now should i worry about or check my boxes that are sealed?
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    A guy on another forum had the same thing happen and it was with the Liberty Cigars. He sent a ton of them out to guys for the fourth and discovered all of them had mold in them.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    This definately fuels my habbit of unboxing or at least leaving box open for daily/semi daily inspection!
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    ... Aw damn. I've got a handful of cigars, nothing too cool like GoF or Liberty's, but they are still sealed in tubes and original boxes/tins that I have't looked at since purchased... And I thought the beetle thread was bad...
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    So I just want to throw this out here. I went to have a cigar out of my liberty 08 box on the 4th, now I remember sending one off to another botl here and lighting one up. Now when I pulled open the coffin on the 4th and pulled the cigar out I was shocked! I saw some white mold spots on it. I was freaking out. Now wtf? So a few days ago I went through all of them and all of them but 2 had mold on them. Some more than others but all in all it wasn't too horrible, but it got me thinking. How many of you (us) have cigars that are either sealed in boxes or or coffins or tubes we cant see? So I went through all of my boxes that are sealed and coffins and found them all to be okay but from this occurrence, to the god of fires I am very skeptical of keeping cigars sealed. I need to inspect them. Now it should be mentioned that while the box of liberties were in a large plastic tub, I had another coffin that was sealed in my dome humi and it has some spots on it too! Now that humi stays at a constand 64-65 rh and I have had no issues with anything in there. Just beware people.
    Did you check out that CAO American Anthem I sent you? Was it moldy? I still have one in my humi but I DO NOT want to break it open until I smoke it.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Did you check out that CAO American Anthem I sent you? Was it moldy? I still have one in my humi but I DO NOT want to break it open until I smoke it.
    Well mine that you sent me was not moldy at all. Actually in perfect condition. So I hope this will set your mind at ease a bit.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    Sure it was mold and not Plume ?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    No it was fine Doug. Very long smoke but very flavorful! lol... No it was mold.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    No it was fine Doug. Very long smoke but very flavorful! lol... No it was mold.
    Wheew. That's a relief. I still have one with almost two years onit now. Seeing how long I can hold out :)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I really doubt you'll see any difference in it..