Home General Discussion

Herf-a-Dor

jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
I just picked up a 5-stick Herf-a-Dor as part of a deal but when it arrived there was absolutely no literature or other info with it. Does anyone have one who might be able to answer a couple questions?

Am I supposed to put distilled water or anything else in the little round humidifier-looking thing? Or is the Herf-a-Dor supposed to just maintain whatever RH was in your sticks when you put them in there?

What else should I know about it? I searched online but didn't find anything useful.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Marty

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Don't use the foam humidifier. A good idea that was floating around here (believe it was from Kuzi) was to take an aluminum tubo, poke a bunch of small holes in it and fill it up with beads.

In some cases, you might not even need humidification. The seal on the herfador is really tight and the plastic is not permeable so it will keep the humidity in. I took mine camping for four days last weekend with no humidification and my cigars were fine.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Spray some distilled water on the humidifier and you should be fine. You only use if for travelling, so it does not have to hold for long.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    sightunseen:
    Don't use the foam humidifier. A good idea that was floating around here (believe it was from Kuzi) was to take an aluminum tubo, poke a bunch of small holes in it and fill it up with beads.

though it was a good idea and i did bring it to this forum, i was not the one who originated this concept. i remember years ago seeing a video on youtube about it. in fact, after a quick search i found the video and it actually came from heath (cigarstudent.com, the guy who started the good traders thread) CLICK
    i dont think he posted on it in this forum but i seem to remember it was on the old cigar.com forum.
    sightunseen:
    In some cases, you might not even need humidification. The seal on the herfador is really tight and the plastic is not permeable so it will keep the humidity in. I took mine camping for four days last weekend with no humidification and my cigars were fine.
    thats the case with me as well. i only throw the humidification in there is ill be going somewhere dry or if i will be opening it often.
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    I just had 5 sticks in mine four 4 days at camp and it worked great I just put a few drops of distilled water on the foam and away I went (I did not want to lose a cigar spot to the bead tube)
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    kuzi16:
    sightunseen:

though it was a good idea and i did bring it to this forum, i was not the one who originated this concept. i remember years ago seeing a video on youtube about it. in fact, after a quick search i found the video and it actually came from heath (cigarstudent.com, the guy who started the good traders thread) CLICK
    i dont think he posted on it in this forum but i seem to remember it was on the old cigar.com forum.
    And so modest! Interesting video. I wonder where Heath went? I've been curious about the whereabouts of the authors who started the longer running threads.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Once again you guys have enlightened the old guy. Many thanks to all of you.

Marty

• brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    I usually just throw in a humi care pack with my sticks and it seems to work out fine.
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 365
    I got one a couple weeks ago. took it on a trip to scout some hunting out. it was around 100 degrees the whole 3 day weekend. all i did was spray the puck in it with distilled water. and my smokes stayed fresh.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 321
    I have one of those 5 count Herf-a-dors and carry it with me most of the time. In fact I have five sticks in there at the moment and will be lighting one up from it at a watering hole in about 20 minutes on my way home from work!

I use a few drops of PG solution (50/50) in the built in humidifier, didn't want to lose the space of a stick, it seems to do fine, I have a small analog hygro that I pulled from a 'tube type' herf-a-dor some time ago, that is accurate enough to tell me my sticks are being kept good, it's small enough and flat enough to fit as long as I don't load it up with only Churchills!

• chrisd56chrisd56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 77
    I just got one too, it came with 8 cigars and was only $15 bucks!! the cigars were worth more than that. It is really solid, i figure i would keep it on the boat so i always have a stick handy.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I really don't like the foam thing. I'd just throw a humi-pak in there. A 5-count is a bit small to throw a tubo in there - takes up a lot of space in the 5-count.
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    chrisd56:
    I just got one too, it came with 8 cigars and was only $15 bucks!! the cigars were worth more than that. It is really solid, i figure i would keep it on the boat so i always have a stick handy.
    If you like the sticks it is a great deal. It isn't always available, but when it is you can order it again if you want.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I have 2 - 5 count herfadors and I don't use any humidification device with them when I travel for 1 or 2 days. Since it seals tightly shut I believe the short travel has no effect on the sticks as long as you don't keep opening it. Been doing this for a year or more and I like my system.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    during air travel it will seal tight on u i hear if checked. use humi pack on a multi day trip but nothing for a couple of days works fine
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    cooch36:
    during air travel it will seal tight on u i hear if checked. use humi pack on a multi day trip but nothing for a couple of days works fine
    It can. I always put my sticks in my carryon.