Home General Discussion

New York's at it again!

wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
New York City Smokers are getting it from both ends over the last few days as Gov. Patterson and Mayor Bloomberg step up their anti-smoking movement. According to a report on gothamist.com Governor Paterson plans to sign a new law into effect once it gets through the senate. The law will prevent you from smoking with a child under the age of 14 in the car. Doing so will result in a $100.00 fine.

Sounds bad enough, right? Well the original bill called for a $500.00 fine and jail time. The bill is being sponsored by two Democrats from Queens with Senator Toby Ann Stavisky, being behind the current bill. While the original bill sponsor was Assemblywoman Nettie Mayersohn who said, “we just want to give our kids a choice”.

EDIT: Mayor Bloomberg is also planning on banning all smoking in parks and beaches. Guess you can't smoke indoors nor outdoors either, huh? However, NYPD is voicing concerns about this ban, because the chief of police says that the police department "has better things to do than hand out tickets for smoking"

Comments

• jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    I dont and wont smoke around my kids but I dont need any one telling me I cant and fineing me for it
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Exactly, taking your freedom away from you slowly!
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    bigbgballz:
    Exactly, taking your freedom away from you slowly!
    wait we have freedom? lol. I wish the public was allowed to voice their opinions on these kinds of things rather than have them answer for us.
  • VidarienVidarien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    To be fair, though I wouldnt be an active supporter of something like this...i wont go against it either. Taking our freedom away? Is it OUR freedom or the kids? I think the kids have a right not to inhale while pop is puffing away in the front seat. I remember when i was 13 and my aunts smoke bugged me (she was a 5 pack a day type of woman), and it was unheard of to say "could you ease up." Its different if you can go into a different room..but in a car, what choice do you have?
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    I am not saying i approve peoples smoking infront of their kids, i dont, i am just saying that politicians interfere awfuly a lot in our everyday life and our freedom these days. I think there more things to worry bout than who smoke infront of their kids and fine them 100 bucks.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    wwhwang:
    New York City Smokers are getting it from both ends over the last few days as Gov. Patterson and Mayor Bloomberg step up their anti-smoking movement. According to a report on gothamist.com Governor Paterson plans to sign a new law into effect once it gets through the senate. The law will prevent you from smoking with a child under the age of 14 in the car. Doing so will result in a $100.00 fine.

Sounds bad enough, right? Well the original bill called for a $500.00 fine and jail time. The bill is being sponsored by two Democrats from Queens with Senator Toby Ann Stavisky, being behind the current bill. While the original bill sponsor was Assemblywoman Nettie Mayersohn who said, “we just want to give our kids a choice”.

EDIT: Mayor Bloomberg is also planning on banning all smoking in parks and beaches. Guess you can't smoke indoors nor outdoors either, huh? However, NYPD is voicing concerns about this ban, because the chief of police says that the police department "has better things to do than hand out tickets for smoking"
    NY is pushing people out of the city/state as fast as it possibly can...due to taxes, BS Laws..etc.
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    Right now I'm such a proud Oklahoman, And if this country continues down the path it's headed I would like to be a proud member of the nation of ArTexOma :)
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    I still Hate NYC!!!

• AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
    Eh, I don't mind it. I probably should be bothered by it but I don't think one should be smoking with kids in the car. So if you need to fine people who treat their children like that, so be it.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Adcurium:
    Eh, I don't mind it. I probably should be bothered by it but I don't think one should be smoking with kids in the car. So if you need to fine people who treat their children like that, so be it.
    Problem is...you give Govt an inch, they will take a mile...before long it will be "You can't smoke in your home...for whatever the reason..."
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    Is it safe to assume your police chief just got your vote during the next mayoral election?

• AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
    I don't think it is about smoking in front of your kids. I think it is about driving with the kids in the back seat and filling the car with second hand smoke. Someone once reminded Frank Sinatra that smoking kills. He responded "you die your way, baby, I'll die mine."