Home General Discussion

Double Happiness

sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
Just had a look at the Double Happiness on the site, it’s the first time I’ve seen cigars like this and I just had a few questions for the guys in the know.

Is the cigar wrapped from end to end in one wrapper? Or do they roll from head to canter at each end with 2 separate wrappers??

If cutting them in the middle is there a possibility the wrapper will unravel? Or not as they use a fair amount of glue at the middle? and if they are using a bit of glue in the middle will this affect the flavour of them in the middle if smoked as one big cigar?

And last of all, any chance of a video on these new sticks Tim?? With 2 main features, one showing us all of them and talking about everything that goes into making them and who came up with the idea etc. and secondly showing us how green you’d look after smoking a hole ruination (all 10") :p

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    sol1821:
    Just had a look at the Double Happiness on the site, it’s the first time I’ve seen cigars like this and I just had a few questions for the guys in the know.
    lets see what i can do...
    sol1821:
    Is the cigar wrapped from end to end in one wrapper? Or do they roll from head to canter at each end with 2 separate wrappers??
    from what i can tell they are rolled with two leaves and they "meet" in the middle and have a different style of binder so they can be cut there without losing wrapper leaf.

sol1821:
    If cutting them in the middle is there a possibility the wrapper will unravel?
    they are designed to be cut in the middle and should not come undone.
    sol1821:
    Or not as they use a fair amount of glue at the middle? and if they are using a bit of glue in the middle will this affect the flavour of them in the middle if smoked as one big cigar?
    i dont think there is any more clue than used in a normal cigar... beyond the second cap.

sol1821:
    And last of all, any chance of a video on these new sticks Tim?? With 2 main features, one showing us all of them and talking about everything that goes into making them and who came up with the idea etc. and secondly showing us how green you’d look after smoking a hole ruination (all 10") :p
    that would be cool. i would like to see that video as well.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 294
    I think that the Double Happiness was developed to avoid a tax increase on cigars that was tied to the S-CHIP that went into effect last year. Because it is technically rolled as one cigar they only have to pay the taxes for one cigar when it is imported into the USA. Then it can be split into two cigars and the tax will effectively be cut in half.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    jpclotfelter:
    I think that the Double Happiness was developed to avoid a tax increase on cigars that was tied to the S-CHIP that went into effect last year. Because it is technically rolled as one cigar they only have to pay the taxes for one cigar when it is imported into the USA. Then it can be split into two cigars and the tax will effectively be cut in half.
    That was always what I figured as well, but since I never saw it spelled out that way I thought maybe is was sort of hush-hush or a no-no to verbalize. Anyway, wasn't that the same general idea behind the culebra? Rollers in the cigar factories were allowed to roll themselves one free smoke so they found a way to get 3 out of 1 (?) Either way, if it is another way to circumvent some of these abhorrent taxes, then I say stick it to the man!! ;-)
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    kuzi16:
    sol1821:
    lets see what i can do...
    sol1821:
    from what i can tell they are rolled with two leaves and they "meet" in the middle and have a different style of binder so they can be cut there without losing wrapper leaf.

sol1821:
    If cutting them in the middle is there a possibility the wrapper will unravel?
    they are designed to be cut in the middle and should not come undone.
    sol1821:
    Or not as they use a fair amount of glue at the middle? and if they are using a bit of glue in the middle will this affect the flavour of them in the middle if smoked as one big cigar?
    i dont think there is any more clue than used in a normal cigar... beyond the second cap.

sol1821:
    that would be cool. i would like to see that video as well.
    cheers for the reply:)
    very helpfull (Y)
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    I ordered the Double Happiness a few weeks ago and I'm most of the way through it. I've cut each stick in half to smoke, and I've had no construction problems whatsoever. It's a great package deal.