Home Non Cigar Related

3d is it over yet....?

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
Yeah, probably not but anyone else getting sick of it? I mean sure, Avatar was badass when I saw it though the theater is one of the best in the nation so that had something to do with it but hell, I'm so sick of seeing everything in 3d. At the theater I go to there is a "living room" theater which is sort of smaller and set up with bigger seats, more room and is 21 and over. So most of the films are also in 2d. So the wife and I try to hit up that one. We say toy story 3 yesterday though it wasn't playing any of them so we had to go to one of the regular theaters. The 3d was cool (should be as it was filmed for it) but out of the 2 other 3d films I've seen and wearing those glasses I'm so through with it. I hope it dies soon, or at least these friggin studios will actually film in 3d instead of having some upconverted crap done. anyone else sick of it?

Comments

• Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    Avatar is still the only movie ive seen that properly benefits from 3d.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    My Father in Law was going on and on about it the other day. He thinks it's going to replace HD tv and such. I think he doesn't know what he's talking about. It sounds like a gigantic pain in the ass to me. Until you don't have to wear those glasses it'll be nothing more than a novelty.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I tend to agree, I just wish it would get over already...
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I agree as well. When used properly, it can have a cool effect, but overuse and it just gets old quick. As for Avatar, I wasn't crazy about the movie and with all the hype surrounding it being the "best movie EVER!!!!" and "going to change the film industry FOREVER!!!!" I was really unimpressed (and I saw it in IMAX). On top of that, some little *** next to me kept farting and it was really disgusting. I had to smell this stupid little 10 year old's a$s for almost an hour of a movie that I wasn't really enjoying to begin with, which made it all the more agonizing. I just felt the acting sucked, the story had been done a million times and the transitions between real life and cgi were obvious.

On a side note, I just got back from the theatre. Went with my girlfriend and a buddy of mine and his wife to see Grown Ups. Good, old fashioned Happy Madison flick. Well worth a laugh, regardless of how much the dumb critics rip it apart. Also, look at Kevin James's shirts through the movie. He's wearing a blue Sityodtong shirt, when they're at Woodman's (local clam/fried seafood place here), then a black one while they're playing basketball. Sityodtong is the gym I train at and was with my buddy who owns the gym when we went to see it. Great little plug!
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    We don't need more 3d movies, just better 2d movies.
  • JdoraisJdorais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 653
    3d is so 2009. I've moved on to 4D
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    The only one that I'm potentially excited about is the new Tron. I saw the trailer in IMAX 3D and it looks like it may be pretty awesome. The fad is getting kinda old though...
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 628
    Duder2:
    The only one that I'm potentially excited about is the new Tron. I saw the trailer in IMAX 3D and it looks like it may be pretty awesome. The fad is getting kinda old though...
    Tron is going to be awesome. or I just might shoot someone. As far as the 3d stuff, it should be used sparingly. I went to see the last airbender last night, and the 3d was awful. actually, the whole movie was awful. along with that, the 3d glasses they had jabbed my nose. I just want good acting again, and it's really hard to come by these days.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Hate to break it to you, but this is just the beginning of 3d - Sony's cranking out 3D tv's, and other makers are sure to follow - expect many more commercials about why you should drop $3k on a new tv after you've just bought and HD. The industry pretty much sees 3D as the "next big thing" - much like they pushed HD, you can expect them to push 3D

On a different note, Nintendo is coming out with a handheld 3D game machine called the 3DS - from what I've heard from hands-on reviewers, the little handheld actually gives you full 3D without glasses, and there's an adjustment so you can play games in 3D or 2D at the push of a button
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    xmacro:
    On a different note, Nintendo is coming out with a handheld 3D game machine called the 3DS - from what I've heard from hands-on reviewers, the little handheld actually gives you full 3D without glasses, and there's an adjustment so you can play games in 3D or 2D at the push of a button
    THIS is actually something I'm pretty excited to see...I wonder how they will pull it off..
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Hays:
    xmacro:
    THIS is actually something I'm pretty excited to see...I wonder how they will pull it off..
    I did a bit of reading - turns out that the screen is actually sending two images at once, one to your right eye, the other to your left, thus creating 3D. There's a bit of a problem, in that to get the 3D effect, you need to have it a certain distance from your face, and you gotta be looking at it head-on (thus why they can't do it with TV, since viewing at an angle would kill the effect).

The 3DS has a little slider that you can play with, so each person can toggle the 3D effect until it's right for their eyes. So far, the reviews have been very positive - even though every person has their own "sweet spot" for where the 3D is best, the slider helps everyone adjust to their own preferences.

EDIT - seems this thing also has two camera's so it can shoot images or video's in 3D as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Just saw Toy Story 3, 3D and it looked pretty good, Coraline really was done well in 3D I find...
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 628
    Diamondog:
    Just saw Toy Story 3, 3D and it looked pretty good, Coraline really was done well in 3D I find...
    yeah Coraline was actually really good.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    xmacro:
    Hays:
    xmacro:
    I did a bit of reading - turns out that the screen is actually sending two images at once, one to your right eye, the other to your left, thus creating 3D. There's a bit of a problem, in that to get the 3D effect, you need to have it a certain distance from your face, and you gotta be looking at it head-on (thus why they can't do it with TV, since viewing at an angle would kill the effect).

The 3DS has a little slider that you can play with, so each person can toggle the 3D effect until it's right for their eyes. So far, the reviews have been very positive - even though every person has their own "sweet spot" for where the 3D is best, the slider helps everyone adjust to their own preferences.

EDIT - seems this thing also has two camera's so it can shoot images or video's in 3D as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS
    And what about the Cyclops people?!?! They can't enjoy 3D... they only have ONE EYE!! us Byclops people reap all the benefiets of 3D and now we're getting tired of it? ... pfft I say to you Byclopses and your dual vision.

I'm just playin, 3D was cool when I was little wearin those red and blue glasses lookin through the comic books!! Or the 3D View Masters!! Those were awesome ... 20 years ago... Lame.

I don't have anything in Blue Ray or HD or whatever you kids are playin with nowadays... mostly because they're expensive. I want them though...