Home Non Cigar Related

Have an exhaust leak need help

Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
I just found that I have an exhaust leak in my truck right at the flange on the back of the catalytic converter. The flange looks to rusty to try to take off the bolts and replace the gasket. I only need to get this truck through the next few months before we are getting rid of it. I know that they make a muffler patch but the heat is alot lower at the muffler than the cat. Any ideas on a patch or make shift fix to get by for the next few months? Dont need pretty just functional.

Thanks
Dustin

Comments

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    Dustin1981:
    I just found that I have an exhaust leak in my truck right at the flange on the back of the catalytic converter. The flange looks to rusty to try to take off the bolts and replace the gasket. I only need to get this truck through the next few months before we are getting rid of it. I know that they make a muffler patch but the heat is alot lower at the muffler than the cat. Any ideas on a patch or make shift fix to get by for the next few months? Dont need pretty just functional.

Thanks
    Dustin
    take it to a muffler shop, have them replace the gasket and just weld it completely shut. or, just have them weld it completely shut without replacing the gasket. Not a big deal it sounds like.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Permatex makes a gasket maker that goes to 700 degrees. It's their Ultra Copper Gasket Maker. It should do the trick. Just use a wire brush to knock the rust off from around it so that it makes a good adhesion.

Found the actual description for it. The Ultra Series - Permatex® Ultra Copper® Gasket Maker The Ultra Series - Permatex® Ultra Copper® Gasket Maker Premium silicone that can withstand operating environments to 700°F (371°C) intermittent. Fills gaps to .25" when fully cured. Superior adhesion. Three times more oil resistant than conventional silicones - eight times more flexible than cut gaskets. Suggested applications: Pumps, compressors, exhaust manifolds/headers, valve covers, oil pans, thermostat housings, gear boxes.
  • bigbgballzbigbgballz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Go to a shop and have it welded and be done with it, pic if possible will also help!
  • Cigar SherlockCigar Sherlock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
  • jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    so just run straight headers for the next couple months!
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    I am trying to get in touch with a friend of mine who has a welder that I can use. Any tips on how to do it? I have done some small stuff with a small mig but nothing like this. Should I just clean up the flange as much as possible and weld it shut?