Home General Discussion

Gurkha Event reportback!

NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
Im headed out tonight to a posh dinner event at "The Madison Club" here in madison. Some ritzy club that I cant even begin to think about paying for monthly, lol.

Event stated as:
"Before the statewide smoking ban goes into effect, come to our “smoke out” Cigar Dinner on Wednesday, June 23. Please join us, along with our friends from Lake Country Cigars, for a fantastic evening of camaraderie and enjoyment of Chef Fox’s outstanding food paired with Gurkha cigars, Scotch and wine. Event price is $75++ per person and includes dinner, numerous cigars, door prizes and beverage pairings."

Super excited, ill have pics hopefully and a report back tonite!

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I am so jealous. Have fun and post some pics and info.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    im jealous to! i wnt to go! lol
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    dang dude Im uber jealous! I wish they had events at the B&M down here in Carbondale.. post pics after!
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
    fairly drunk. amazing night... door prizes included... raffles... and holy f*#k... a His Majesties Reserve. No.... I didnt win it... but i did hold it, and got a picture with it, lol. Lots to tell... but yea... drunk, and tired. Will post more tomorrow! fun times.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I'm really jealous now lol. How come none of these events are anywhere near me or the southeastern US?
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    wow, they gave away an HMR? That's awesome. Definitely looking foward to pics and more stories.
    TatuajeVI:
    wow, they gave away an HMR? That's awesome. Definitely looking foward to pics and more stories.
    Yea, gave one away, and auctioned the other for charity.

I am at work, have the pics with me, will upload a bit later on, friday afternoons are usually pretty slow.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    holly cow! man I wish I could go, that is amazing. I look forward to the pics. very nice of gurkha to do that. how much did the auction one go for?
    OK!

So the whole thing was pretty amazing. The Madison Club ( http://www.madisonclub.org ) is 100 years old this year, and just an over the top place. We had to make quite a few calls just to be able to make reservations. The event was put together by a somewhat local cigar shop named Lake County Cigars (Rocky Patel himself visits there often).

I went with my girlfriend Jamie, and the owner of my local cigar bar, Jackson. Jackson has been there before, so he gave us a mini tour of the place, simply outstanding. We went to the room with the event, and it was just lavish. On walking in, they gave us our first cigar, I cant remember the name off hand, but it was a Gurkha special blend made for Lake County Cigars - basically a similar blend to the Regent. After lighting up, we went to the open Whiskey & Scotch Bar (open in the sense that we arent paying for drinks, but we DID pay for the overall event). I know NOTHING about Scotch, so again, I followed Jackson's lead and got what he did. Cant even remember the name, but it was smooth as hell, and was my drink of the evening... till the wine with dinner.

We made our way to the patio... stood out there for a while, drinking, talking, smoking. ... can it get much better? All sorts of Pâté were being passed around, which I passed on, lol.

Dinner time, we all sit. The hosts explain the next 3 cigars we will be getting. The Signature 1886, the Fury, and the Grand Reserve.... and at this point, im very happy... and tipsy from the scotch. My table was my party, as well as 2 other couples... semi-retired.. legal/finance industry. I was on the younger side of the room, and my girlfriend was without a doubt, the youngest at 24 - and one of the few females.

First course: Pan Seared Escolar, sauteed mussels, spring garlic, flat leaf endive, summer peas, in a preserved lemon pancetta cream sauce. Wine was a 2008 L'Ecole No 41 Semillion, Columbia Valley Washington.

Second course: Crispy pork jowel, strawberry rhubarb glaze, baby carrot, pickled ginger beurre rose, pork reduction. Wine was a 2009 Mas des Bressades - Costieres de Nimes, France

Third Course: Roast Fountain Prairie Farms flat iron, wilted red Russian kale, curried cauliflower, wilted shaved beats, chive kneffla, red wine reduction. Wine was a 2005 Blackstone "Rubric" Proprietary Red, California

Fourth Course: Future Fruit Farms poached pear financier cake, burnt caramel ice cream, strawberry leather, with Rotta Black Monukka.

To be honest, I loved the first course, the fish, the most. The sauce was just amazing. The cigars were passed out throughout the night, but I only smoked the first one. The good news... my girl does not smoke, so I got 2 of each. The door prized (we got raffle tickets on the way in) were the various boxes the cigars were in along with some of the left over cigars.. but the biggie was... yea... a HMR. I could not believe it. I knew I wouldnt win, but I promised myself I would talk to whoever did win, to see it. I did however win the box from the 1886's, with 2 more of those as well. They also auctioned off a second HMR for a charity of one of the people who put the night together. The higher the bidding went, the more stuff they added to the deal. Final deal was, the HMR, a 50 Gift cert to a local cigar bar, a Gurkha Triad cigar, and a box of (i cant even remember which ones now...). Winning bid was 1050$ !!!!!!

Overall, a wonderful night... and I made a business contact as well, and may be getting some side work from it.

Im in black in these pics. image

Never thought I would hold a $750 cigar...
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    dude...im so jealous...i wish they did a event like that here in Sac...our cigar society did a pretty badass even a few months back, I got a CAO soprano box with 4 sticks in it, 3 joya de nic. fuente's, and about 6 other free sticks...Hays and I made out like bandits lol..but it wasnt a dinner thing like urs...im down to pay 75 bucks for that....its worth it
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    dude...im so jealous...i wish they did a event like that here in Sac...our cigar society did a pretty badass even a few months back, I got a CAO soprano box with 4 sticks in it, 3 joya de nic. fuente's, and about 6 other free sticks...Hays and I made out like bandits lol..but it wasnt a dinner thing like urs...im down to pay 75 bucks for that....its worth it
    really ended up being just a hair under 100 with tax and tip. still worth it though
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    You guys look wasted! Seems like everyone had a good time
    fla-gypsy:
    Yes on both counts.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    NYHCx516x:
    fla-gypsy:
    Yes on both counts.
    Awesome!!!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Crap, I found a 2pack of the hmr's around xmas 08 for a little over 1000. I wanted to jump on it but I just don't know or think they could be much better than the royal reserve. I mean more cognac is good but really, how much better? Still looks like a good time, though I always sort of hate going to those type of things especially something at that high class place. I've never gone to a cigar thing like that but my X use to love going to wine things. I got so sick of being around the "wine" snobs that I sort of stopped trying to go to events. Sure I will hit up the shop if one's around but really there really isn't any big wig things here in portland.