Home Cigar 101

Cigar is "belling out" a bit at the end

Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
I put my cigars in a tupperware container until my humidor is ready.

Now one r two of them has started to "bell out" a bit at the clipped end, meaning thevery tip of the cigar is slightly wider in diameter than the rest of the cigar. Is this indicitave of an environmental issue that needs to be addressed? I'm pretty sure they weren't like that before.

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Your humidity is too high, causing the foot to swell. What are you using for a humidifyer and hygrometer?
  • MrMokeMrMoke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 321
    cabinetmaker:
    Your humidity is too high, causing the foot to swell. What are you using for a humidifyer and hygrometer?

Also, examine them for wrapper / binder damage at the foot, I've had the belling issue in the past, thought my hygro was shot, only to find out the sticks had got a little worn at the foot over time, the binder is what holds the filler togther, if you cut / split it the filler will start to 'burst' out.

But don't disregard cabi's advise!!! Check you hygro too!!!!

• Big T smokesBig T smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 211
    i had it in a humidor that had too much humidity. then in tupperware. now I took it all out and put the sticks in a bag
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Sorry to hear about this. Good advice so far. Funny though how we all put our cigars in a humi and make sure they rest in a perfect environment and still have problems. Though my friend's GF had a 5 vegas A I gave her for her birthday while I was smoking a cigar and I had nothing but burn issues though hers burnt very well. She had it out in the kitchen since march! Strange aye..?