Home General Discussion

New

JumperJumper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 135
Hey guys, I'm new here. I've been smoking cigars for a little over 2 years now. I'm a pretty young guy and my income isn't overly impressive, so I try to smoke more economical cigars and get the best value rather than smoking lots of top of the lines stuff. Anyway, I'm excited to get to know everyone!

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Welcome. This is a great group and you will find everyone very friendly and informative. Keep checking ccom for some great sampler deals to keep your costs down.
  • poypoykingpoypoyking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    Welcome! Great group of people here, it will be a blast :)
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Hey sup?
    Stick around for awhile.

• JumperJumper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 135
    Thanks guys. I'm about to order one of those Gurkha samplers for $35 I think. I haven't had the opportunity to smoke a lot of Gurkhas, so I figure that's the way to go,
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Well, that's one way to go...or you could spend your $35 on some good cigars. Big Smile [:D] Just messin' with ya, nothing wrong with Gurkha, though I'll tell you right now I'm not the biggest fan.

Here's a sampler that I feel is pound for pound a better deal...not only do you get more cigars for $5 less, you get a wider range of cigars than any Gurkha sampler will offer.
  • ThinBluLine06ThinBluLine06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    j0z3r:
    Well, that's one way to go...or you could spend your $35 on some good cigars. Big Smile [:D] Just messin' with ya, nothing wrong with Gurkha, though I'll tell you right now I'm not the biggest fan.

Here's a sampler that I feel is pound for pound a better deal...not only do you get more cigars for $5 less, you get a wider range of cigars than any Gurkha sampler will offer.
    +1, get the AJ Dirty dozen sampler...It is an excellent deal on excellent sticks...I ordered my 2nd dirty dozen sampler last week during free shipping week! Welcome!
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Welcome to the boards glad to have you.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    j0z3r:

I would also agree with jozr, this sampler is much better for your money. And welcome to the forums, hope you stick around for awhile.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Krieg:
    j0z3r:

I would also agree with jozr, this sampler is much better for your money. And welcome to the forums, hope you stick around for awhile.
    the thing with gurkha is that they have name recognition. this is why many people smoke macanudo at first. people know the name.

Gurkha used to be one of my favorite cigar brands.

...back when they could have been called a boutique brand. they had a limited number of blends that were all very different and all fairly expensive. one of the best cigars i had in my first two years was a Gurkha Centurian. I still like that cigar but after sampling many gurkhas that have come out since then (they are over 75 blends now) i feel that their blending style is nothing special. yes there are some interesting things going on in them and i can understand why people like them but at some point it is difficult to differentiate and keep an image of quality up when there are so many blends that dont out and out impress. in addition to that, over the last few years many people have been complaining about burn issues. i dont know about you but it doesnt take long for my perception of quality to be lost when you have issues on a few sticks.

i will never discourage you from trying Gurkha or keeping some in your humidor (i have a few right now myself) but just be aware that there are brands that have a better reputation out there and they have that better reputation for a reason.
    Cool. Thanks guys. I am going to try the AJ sampler, but I think I'm going to try the Gurkha one first. I like to smoke multiple sticks of each line and the Gurkha sampler allows me to do that while the AJ pack doesn't. I did look at the AJ sampler and now, with all of the good words being said, will definitely order it. Thanks again.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Welcome to the forums.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    Jumper:
    Cool. Thanks guys. I am going to try the AJ sampler, but I think I'm going to try the Gurkha one first. I like to smoke multiple sticks of each line and the Gurkha sampler allows me to do that while the AJ pack doesn't. I did look at the AJ sampler and now, with all of the good words being said, will definitely order it. Thanks again.

Welcome aboard!

I'm in the camp as that the AJ DD should be everyone's first sampler. I'm smoking through it now and every stick is good to great (and most are great). Nice variety as well to help you figure out what you like. That being said, though, the Gurkha sampler was the first I ordered as well. They were all good smokes, and I found one that is great (I've had it's twin resting almost 6 months now and it's about due for a smoking). Gurkha is just hit and miss for alot of folks tastes, but you'll be fine either way.

Just get that AJ DD tee'd up as your next sampler to order ;)
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    You know, today's DD is a pretty good sampler for any Newb. A few AJs in there and some Olivas. Can't go wrong there......
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Better yet, get them both. Let the stronger sticks in the group rest a little longer than the mellow ones. 6 months on some of the stronger cigars can make a world of difference.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Welcome to the group and I agree the AJ DD is some of the best sticks around for the money. Many of us are AJ fans here.
    Well I think you guys may have convinced me...
    The AJ Dirty Dozen sampler just got here. I haven't had a chance to light any of them up yet, but they look fantastic.