Home General Discussion

Rocky Patel 15th Anniversary

KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
Looks like one of the new cigars coming out this Sept is gonna be the RP 15th Anniv. According to the article I read he said it's gonna be like the Decade, but with steroids. Interesting....now I'm curious. I like the Decade, especially the torpedo, so I will def be trying this smoke in Sept. Here is some of the article:

“I wanted to do something special to celebrate our 15 years in the cigar business,” said Patel, the owner of Rocky Patel Premium Cigars, which is based in Naples, Florida. “I wanted a cigar that’s like the Decade on steroids. The Fifteenth has the elegance and the balance of the Decade, but it has the richness, complexity and spice that kind of puts it over the top.”

Patel spoke about one of the fillers, which he said comes from “a special farm in Estelí. I think it’s some of the richest, and spiciest tobaccos I’ve ever had. The farm is just dedicated to that filler.” He also said that he had been waiting to use the Habano seed Ecuadoran wrapper tobacco, which comes from a very high priming, for about two years.

While Patel has built his brands primarily with cigars that are rolled in Honduras, namely those made by the Plasencia family, this new brand is made in the Tabacalera Villa Cuba S.A. cigar factory in Estelí, Nicaragua. Patel owns the factory along with Amilcar Perez. Cigar Insider toured the first version of the factory in December, and it has since been relocated to a larger space in Estelí.

Tabacalera Villa Cuba makes cigars in slow, artisan style. It has been in operation since December 2008, and also makes the Rocky Patel 1961 cigar along with some private label brands. The cigars there are made with triple caps, the bunching is done entubado style, a slow process where each filler leaf is rolled in a sort of tube, and the cigars get two binder leaves rather than simply one.

The Fifteenth Anniversary cigars won’t make their formal debut until August at the International Premium Cigars and Pipe Retailers trade show, and they should be in stores by September.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    *Raised eyebrow*

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    My complaint with the Decade (at least the last 3 or 4 I've smoked) has been that they are smooth and creamy, but that's about it. If he can take the smoothness of the Decade and kick it up with a good bit of spice and complexity, he'll have a winner. Course, given the 1500 other RP blends that all taste the same, I'll have to see when this one comes out.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I love the Decade! I cannot wait for the Decade SE. Ive got a couple 1961 resting and want to try a Patel bros. Not sure the 15th year sounds like my cuppa
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    I will be trying it when available. I generally like all of Rocky's stuff.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    TatuajeVI:
    My complaint with the Decade (at least the last 3 or 4 I've smoked) has been that they are smooth and creamy, but that's about it. If he can take the smoothness of the Decade and kick it up with a good bit of spice and complexity, he'll have a winner. Course, given the 1500 other RP blends that all taste the same, I'll have to see when this one comes out.
    My complaint with it is that it's changed since it came out. Like the 1990, they just don't taste the same as they use to. Maybe it's my palate, but both of those sticks seem much different than they used to a few years ago.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    stephen_hannibal:
    *Raised eyebrow*

Can you do it like The Rock?
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    The Decade is one of my favorites. Make it a little stronger, and I think it should be fantastic.
    Hayblet:
    stephen_hannibal:
    *Raised eyebrow*

Can you do it like The Rock?
    Shut your mouth and KNOW YOUR DAMN ROLE!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Many of you know how I feel about Rocky Patel cigars. That being said, I try never to write off anything before trying it and the description sure does sound promising, I guess I'll find out if it is a good cigar or just a good description when it comes out. Looking forward to it though.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Hope it isn't dyed! RP really isn't my cup of tea.
  • bentorobentoro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    On June 19TH , Cigar Inn will be hosting a special event for Rocky Patel cigars. This event will also offer the first look at Rocky Patel latest creation, Rocky Patel 15 Year Anniversary, to be launched in August 2010 and shipped in the Fall of this year.
    Rocky will present a ‘sneak preview’ of his Rocky Patel 15 Year Anniversary to the event, long before it is scheduled to be released
    bentoro:
    On June 19TH , Cigar Inn will be hosting a special event for Rocky Patel cigars. This event will also offer the first look at Rocky Patel latest creation, Rocky Patel 15 Year Anniversary, to be launched in August 2010 and shipped in the Fall of this year. Rocky will present a ‘sneak preview’ of his Rocky Patel 15 Year Anniversary to the event, long before it is scheduled to be released 212.750.0809

212 LA or NYC?