Home General Discussion

Rocky Patel

Husker44Husker44 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 172
I'm a new poster and relatively new cigar smoker. I have lurked for a while and learned quite a bit.

Last night, I had my first Rocky Patel. It was a 1999 Vintage Connecticut. I really enjoyed the mild and smooth aspects of the cigar. What is the difference in this than the standard Connecticut? I assume aging. But what does aging do to the cigar? Make it milder, stronger, smoother?

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    To me, the 99 is a little smoother, and has more going on with the flavor. I think it's a more interesting smoke. Come to think of it, it's been a long time since I've had either. I like both, but probably prefer the 99.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    age will smooth out tobacco and make it a bit more mild depending on the blend.

the 1999 has not only a different wrapper (different year that is) but a different filler as well. the 1999 has a filler from nicaragua and the dominican where as the connecticut has filler from honduras.
    i would expect the connecticut to be a bit more nutty and round where as the 1999 to be a bit more earth and maybe a bit more spice.

but take that with a grain of salt. i have yet to smoke either. i recommend you go out and try both within a two day span to see for yourself.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555

I have had both and surprisingly like the regulat Rocky Ct. better than the 1999.

I wanted to like the 99 better, it looked better, had more attractive bands and had the pedigree w the aged wrapper.

Turns out I lreally like the Rocky CT better. Ive only had the Robusto and the Toro and liked them both.
    Both the 99 and the CT are good cigars, if the price points were switched around I would still like the CT better.

I think.

• turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    Welcome Husker! I haven't had a 1999 yet but it sounds like a great smoke.

I'm a fan of the Vintage 1990 which I highly recommend: very mild and smooth.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    god that is ultimately my favorite connet.. in the world....if you have anymore you want to trade out let me know and ill hook you up big time....ive been searching for those but havnt found a good deal on them yet....let me know husker.... and welcome to the boards..
  • Husker44Husker44 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 172
    There is a local B&M here that I picked up 2 from. It was good enough, I will smoke the second one =) There were a bit pricey from the normal CT ($7.75/stick) I have yet to find anything online. If I can find them somewhere or negotiate a better price I will let you know
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Adding my .02, I'm much on the same page with Joey. The RP Vintage 1999 is definitely at the top of my list as far as mild connecticuts go. I found it to be a much mellower and smoother smoke than the RP Connecticut, but I enjoy both. Welcome to the forum!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Personally, I didn't care for the Ct. at all. It seemed to lack complexity and much flavor at all for that matter. The 99 is a good cigar, it has great flavor and a bit of complexity to it. In my opinion there are many other Ct. wrapped smokes out there that are much better than both from Rocky.