Home General Discussion

New to the board..and still basically a newb!

xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
Hey guys, I just thought I would make my first post here as I am really digging what I am reading here on this board. I've smoked a cigar here and there for a few years now, but I am really just starting to get into it. I just bought me a little humidor and I'm learning as much as possible. Its so exciting!! Im like a kid in a candy store on this site. Its mind-blowing how much selection is out there so I hope though experimentation I'll figure out what I really like. If anyone has any specific recommendations as far as samplers or particular brands/lines that I can pick up from here, I'd love some advice. Thanks guys!

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Welcome to the Ccom forum, Ice. I'm still a newb also, but there's a lot of good stuff here. CCom has better customer service than all the other sites and most B&Ms. Below are some cigars you should look into.

5 Vegas Gold
    5 Vegas Triple A
    Man O' War Virtue
    Man O' War
    Man O' War Ruination
    Rocky Patel Summer Collection 2008
    Nub Habano
    Romeo y Julieta Viego Maduro
    Oliva Series O
    Oliva Series V
    Oliva Connecticut Reserve
    Gurkha Turk
    Gurkha Assassin (Hit or miss. I like 'em, some people don't. For some reason, Ccom doesn't have it)
    and...Sol Cubano.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Welcome to the forums my friend. Lots of info and advice from the guys here. I'm a mild to medium smoker and I'd suggest Rocky Patel Connecticut, Gurkha Park Ave or Turk and CAO Gold, all some of my favorites.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    ccom had a special cigar.com humi filled with i think 10 or 20 sticks in it...great variation and great way to start off.....thats how I got started and the list above in a awesome list...im a huge MoW person...the oliva series o is amazing cigar...and cant go wrong with 5 vegas either... Welcome bud
  • ThinBluLine06ThinBluLine06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 283
    Welcome! Biggest advice that I also recived from everyone on the forums....If you think you only need a 50 count humi.....GET A 100 COUNT HUMI! Same can be said if you think you want a 100 ct, go with a 200 ct! This hobby gets very addicting, and with so many deals out there, your small humi will be OVERFLOWING before you know it! I love pretty much everything Perdomo makes...Perdomo 10th Anniv. Champ and Maduro, Perdomo Lot 23...Also definitly check out Gran Habano Vintage 2002 in the CCOM Aging room....
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I have seen a bunch of advice through here about getting a much larger humidor than you think is needed and Im def. looking into that. Im looking at getting around 100-300 to be safe. Once I find my favs, I want enough room for a whole box and other random selections.

Anyways, the lists look great. I keep seeing V5 gold and CAO gold pop up on the net as a good place to start, so Im sure I'll be picking a few up to try. Thanks again guys.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    It sort of would help to know what you already like. I know that 5 Vegas Gold is great because it is mild yet flavorful. For something else along those lines, I'd try the Fonseca Vintage, and the H. Uppman Vintage Cameroon.
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,808
    First things first...Welcome aboard man! 2nd get a bigger humi asap. There are some fine gents here that can supply you with a wealth of knowledge and get you pointed in the right direction. Got questions? Feel free to ask or poke about.
  • turn_keyturn_key Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 90
    Welcome to the boards!

I like maduros and find them to be smoother than other wraps. I suggest RP Vintage 1990, Gurkha Black Dragon, Padron and Padron 1964 Anniversary.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Welcome. I don't suppose IcedGuardian is a reference to Iced Earth and/or Blind Guardian is it? If so, bravo on listening to two of the best (imo) metal bands around today...and if it's not a reference, well...Blind Guardian and Iced Earth Rule!!! m/ (>_<) m/
    It is indeed a referance to both bands. Actually, the two masterminds in both bands did a side project called Demons and Wizards. In the linear notes the singer referred to the project as "Iced Guardian" and I thought it was awesome...I've been using it for other things like AIM forever so I tend to use it for things like this. Glad you picked up on the referance!! They are both awesome!

Anyways, to the rest of you... Thanks again!
    Sounds good. I'll check them out.
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    Congrats on the new hobby, and welcome to the forums. Heed the advice, and just turn your house into a walk-in humidor. You'll be ahead of the game.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    Welcome. This is a great place for good info and friendship.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Hey Welcome...

• t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Welcome aboard. But seriously buy a bigger humi.....three months in and I've got over 100 sticks. And I only smoke 2-3 a week.
    Haha.. Yea I'm def. Getting a bigger humi. I'm liking the walk-in idea for sure!! Eh, I'm going to go for 300 I think for now.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    wwhwang:
    Welcome to the Ccom forum, Ice. I'm still a newb also, but there's a lot of good stuff here. CCom has better customer service than all the other sites and most B&Ms. Below are some cigars you should look into.

5 Vegas Gold
    5 Vegas Triple A
    Man O' War Virtue
    Man O' War
    Man O' War Ruination
    Rocky Patel Summer Collection 2008
    Nub Habano
    Romeo y Julieta Viego Maduro
    Oliva Series O
    Oliva Series V
    Oliva Connecticut Reserve
    Gurkha Turk
    Gurkha Assassin (Hit or miss. I like 'em, some people don't. For some reason, Ccom doesn't have it)
    and...Sol Cubano.
    ruination? that's a strong cigar for a newbie, but hell why not right? A lot of good suggestions however most of them are rather mild. The Oliva V and Maddie are one of my favs along with the ruination. Peppin 601 maduro is a good cigar as is the CAO black VR and America.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Haha.. Yea I'm def. Getting a bigger humi. I'm liking the walk-in idea for sure!! Eh, I'm going to go for 300 I think for now.
    Yeah, a 300 Dome is what I have, I like it. Though it's filled! hehe.. But yeah, get a 300 or 400 count you'll need it as they really hold like 150 or so...
  • babsdpubabsdpu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 143
    Welcome! Darn near everything blended by AJ Fernandez is good, also Oliva and Perdomo have enough varieties to do some fun sampling with, but aren't overwhelming in the number of different blends they produce. Also, just read, learn, and post...it's addictive!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Welcome, brother. Where ya from? For newbs, I would suggest sampling the 5 Vegas line. It's a nice variety of blends and strengths...... But go crazy. Try anything you can get your newb hands on!
  • slick50210slick50210 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
    I would also concur that Ruination is a bit strong for a beginner. I made the mistake of jumping right into a full bodied cigar almost right off the bat, and i puked my guts up. I also smoked too much in too small a time, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyways, a few personal favorites of mine,

Gurkha Centurian (pricey, but a damn fine smoke)
    Gurkha micro batch (c-10, specifically. It's simple, but I just love it. It's also a good starter for a beginner)
    Nub Cameroon (All the nubs are pretty good, cameroon being my favorite though.)

and man o' wars are great cigars, but I would just work your way up the ladder from mild to full until you try one. I just ordered some of the new virtue, looking forward to trying them too.
    I appreciate the suggestions. And some info about me.. I'm 22 and I'm from Manassas, Va. It's about 30 miles from D.C in the Northern Virginia area. I've been into collecting things my whole life and the depth involved in cigars has really excited me. Like I said, I've have cigars here and there, never really made the commitment until I went to a Tobaccanist on my recent vacation and now I'm really into it.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    Welcome to the board and the hobby!

I'm going to second what Babsdpu said that anything from AJ Fernandez is bound to be a great cigar. You should definitely call up and order the AJ Dirty Dozen. It's got smokes from mild/med to full body and all sorts of tasty blending differences. Lay the full bodied smokes down in your humidor for a bit of rest while you smoke through the milder blends. That way when you're ready to try something with a little more UMPH you've got some great sticks with some age on them.