Home General Discussion

Anticipation of cigars...

kent1146kent1146 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 86
Hi all.  This is my first post to the cigar.com forums.  I was wondering if anybody else out there shared the same view of cigars as I have.

Does anybody else out there seriously look forward to their cigar each day?  Like, after a long day of work, I imagine my humidor full of delicious cigars that smell like cedar, and crave the delicious taste of a nice, smooth, oily maduro cigar.  It makes my senses tingle just thinking about how great they taste when you swirl the smoke in your mouth, and try to find the hints of chocolate, leather, cedar, etc that people describe.  And it really gets me excited as I'm grinding through my email, hitting Reply as I whittle down my workload.

Anybody else have a similar experience that they'd like to share?

BTW, smoking my first Don Pepin cigar right now.  Pretty good, but still prefer the Cigar.com Brazilian and Cameroon cigars more.

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    I really don't smoke everyday but I do look forward to it. I really enjoy the taste and aroma. Especially when I am trying new hopefuls.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    I was visiting one of my stores today and was talking with a guy I've known for years but just found out today he was a BoTL! Gave him one of my CAO Mx2 Daggers, he was happy to find out about a shorter smoking stick... really made me want to get home and enjoy something myself.

kent, which DPG? The Cuban Classic is on my top 5 list.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Well Kent, first of all welcome to the group. I do enjoy a good cigar very often as a matter of fact, but your exuberance seems to far surpass mine. It will be nice to have you share some of your thoughts and experiences with the group. so, besides the c.com line, what else do you find yourself smoking most often..
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I know that feeling of anticipation all too well. Do I want a maduro, a full bodied powerhouse, something long, something short. Before I grab my nightly cigar, I spend a good 5-10 minutes going over my inventory in my head trying to decide what I want that night.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I sometimes smoke every day and sometimes I do not. I had to take a week off because my mouth was tasting like a$$! It also depends on which car I drive to work. If I take my truck I will smoke in it one the way to work, on lunch and on the way home. If I drive my car, I WILL NOT smoke in it. It is eight years old and you can still smeel the leather! I also like taking the truck when I know I have a long drive like playing a wedding that is far away or going to visit my friend in VA. My car gets better gas mileage so I should drive that but I find it hard to resist such a long drive without a nice cigar to enjoy!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    j0z3r:
    I know that feeling of anticipation all too well. Do I want a maduro, a full bodied powerhouse, something long, something short. Before I grab my nightly cigar, I spend a good 5-10 minutes going over my inventory in my head trying to decide what I want that night.
    Brother, so do I! I have so many expensive cigars that I don't know what to smoke. I am really trying to age a lot of them. I am mostly starting to smoke the cotm stuff and maybe one or 2 of a bundle and let the rest age. I have to Don Carlos Torpedos that have been aging since november of 2006 along with a Padron 1964 torpedo and a 1926 Maduro Torpedo. I got a great price on them when I was traveling in Miami.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    rwheelwright:
    j0z3r:
    Brother, so do I! I have so many expensive cigars that I don't know what to smoke. I am really trying to age a lot of them. I am mostly starting to smoke the cotm stuff and maybe one or 2 of a bundle and let the rest age. I have to Don Carlos Torpedos that have been aging since november of 2006 along with a Padron 1964 torpedo and a 1926 Maduro Torpedo. I got a great price on them when I was traveling in Miami.
    Smoke 'em... that's why you bought them. Never age the only one of something you have. buy two, one for now one for however long you can hold out. Or be willing to smoke any single you have on any given day.. Except a barber pole Nub. ( right Maddy )
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I agree with that one. Personally, I wouldn't age anything less than a box.... well, not for a significant amount of time, like years, because I think you would need that amount to truly find when the cigar is peaking.
  • LoonaticLoonatic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8
    Hey you want to age them or smoke them, it's your call. This is a great hobby, one that should be enjoyed however you like. Yes, I too get a bit excited when the end of the day rolls around and I have the quality time for a good cigar. Smokem if ya gottem
  • VidarienVidarien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246

With regards to aging, I wouldnt age a cigar i never tried.  I think its assumed that like liquors all cigars get better with time, but I dont think thats necessarily true.  Aging a cigar milds it down over time.  So, i think if you have a full bodied powerhouse that you enjoy, but would love to try a more relaxed version of it, a while in the humidor might make sense.

I think it tends to be a good idea to let the cigars you get to settle a few days before going after them as well though, just due to the temperature and potential humidity differentials in shipping.

• wilbr11wilbr11 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    I can say the anticipation sometimes drives me nuts. My own indecision more then anything, I get home and I can't decide, do i want a churchill or a robusto, something full bodied or something a little lighter. It drives me crazy trying to decide sometimes.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    I, too, go crazy with anticipation. I keep my inventory (as with everything else in my life) in a spreadsheet, and I know what's in the "smoking queue" humi at any given time, and how many have had sufficient rest (10+ days) in that humi to be ready to go. Of the ones that are ready to go, my choice is generally governed by many factors (the type of day I've had, what the wife will be doing, my mood, and the day of the week). Those factors tonight narrowed it down to a Hemingway and a Cusano Xclusivo (chose the latter). A cigar is so much more rewarding when I finish it with the opinion that I had, as the old knight would say, "chosen wisely."