Home General Discussion

cedar, is it all the same

fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
hey guys, found someont to make my in wall humidor. my question. is cedar just cedar? or do i have to find spanish cedar to line it and make shelves.

Comments

• nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    humidor-guide.com:
    Primarily three types of wood are used for the humidor’s interior lining:

Spanish cedar (by far the most popular)

American (or Canadian) red cedar

Honduran mahogany

Spanish cedar offers the following advantages (botanical term “cedrela odorata”):

Protection from tobacco worms - through the cedar’s special odoriferous quality
    High humidity absorption capacity - this ensures that a stable climate will be maintained inside the humidor and mold is prevented
    Supports the cigar aging process
    Positive effect on the flavor of the cigars Spanish cedar does not originate from Spain as one might assume but is generally imported from Brazil and other countries of South and Central America. In some individual cases resin may form on the surface of the wood (See also humidor is secreting/resin). The risk of resin formation can be substantially reduced by previously drying the wood carefully.

American red cedar is inferior to Spanish cedar in humidity absorption and it exudes a more intense aroma. Some humidor manufacturers use American cedar because it is less expensive and with this wood there is no danger of resin formation. Particularly when storing cigars for longer periods the cigars will adopt a strong woody flavor that is generally not desired.

Honduran mahogany has a humidity absorption rate comparable to that of Spanish cedar and at the same time has a less intense odor. Thus, unfortunately, the deterrent effect on worms and the desired flavoring of cigars is also not as good as with Spanish cedar. The veneer of the interior wood should be untreated.

For long-term cigar storage those humidors should be preferred, which are lined with Spanish cedar. For cabinet humidors other woods with high humidity absorption capacity can also be used because in cabinet humidors the cigars are generally stored in their original Spanish cedar boxes. A tray made of Spanish cedar is recommendable for storing individual cigars in cabinet humidors.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Pretty much what Mike said. Spanish cedar is preferred. American cedar is too aromatic and I didn't even know Honduran mahogany was used.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    OK, where would i buy this.. home depot and lowes dont carry it
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    i got my spanish cedar from woodcraft.com
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    ok, got it. next question. i was going to have it lined w/ 3/16, what about my shelves, sp cedar as well
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    yeah, most humidors have the entire interior lined with spanish cedar, and the shelves themselves are made completely out of spanish cedar.

Also, the reason you can't find it in a hardware store is because spanish cedar is a specialty wood - it's biggest/most common use is for making humidors
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    If you are going to be working with spanish cedar, make sure it's in a well-ventilated area and wear a mask. Spanish cedar dust is a carcinogen.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    sightunseen:
    Pretty much what Mike said. Spanish cedar is preferred. American cedar is too aromatic and I didn't even know Honduran mahogany was used.
    spanish cedar is a type of mahogany.
    its not spanish either. its central american in origin.

the spanish speaking people called it "cedre" (from it genus "cedrela") hence "spanish cedar" is a slight misnomer.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I get mine for $4.65/bf. Delivered.
    cabinetmaker:
    I get mine for $4.65/bf. Delivered.
    ...but you are an "insider" arent you? got a secret code to get a "contractors price"

?

Yea, order a couple thousand dollars worth of materials every month or so and you get a better price...
    i do the same with chocolate. maybe some day a trade can be made?
    kuzi16:
    I'd love that, but I'm diabetic... it'd have to be sugar-free..
    sugar free is not a problem.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    cabinetmaker:
    kuzi16:
    I'd love that, but I'm diabetic... it'd have to be sugar-free..

What about the mrs?

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761