Home General Discussion

Isla del Sol?

rusiriusrusirius Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 564
Anyone had any of the Isla del Sol cigars? I really enjoyed that Java I had last week, but was slightly put off by the burn problems it had... From what I can see it looks like the Isla del Sol is most likely made from the clippings from the Java... (it's a mixed fill) They're ridiculously cheap, just thinking of picking up a box to have as an occasional desert cigar...

Anyone have any info about 'em?

Comments

• rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    I've heard of them but never tried them. I can't help you with any info either but let us know what you find out.
  • rusiriusrusirius Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 564
    Screw it... I ordered a box... What the hell, it's worth a shot... Every one of the flavored sticks I've tried so far have been absolute crap, but the Java was really awesome... I'll see if they're worth keeping around and if not I'll just send 'em all to Lucinda and Maddy in a PIF or something... Bwhahhaha
    Well here's the deal... I got this box today... I figured since I got a box I might as well give one a try right away, then I'll try another after they've had a chance to rest a week or so...

So here's my impression...

The packaging was pretty lousy, but for something this cheap what do you expect? Cardboard box printed to "look" like a real cigar box... Inside was stuff with scrap tobacco leaves and cigars were packed in that. Made for a semi decent looking packaging, at least inside, but the tobacco was.. well... not exactly pleasent smelling... Being the king of infused tobacco, you'd think the could have at least used scraps of their infused tobaccos to make it smell a little better... But then again I guess that would have taken a chance of flavoring the cigars, so well... anyway...

The construction was actually pretty good. The wrapper wasn't Graycliff quality, but I've seen worse wrappers on much more expensive smokes... Since this was a cuban sandwich (i.e. mixed fill) it was a little more spongy than a long filler cigar, but not overly so...

The sumatra wrapper had a great smell... Being infused rather than dipped or something like that makes it much less overpowering than many other "flavored" cigars I've tried. Plus coffee and tobacco just seem to marry well together... Complimenting rather than distracting from one another...

The burn was incrediably even all the way through... The first ash I flicked off as it was approaching 2 inches...

As for the flavor... Very smooth almost creamy, especially considering the sumatra wrapper... It was a bit on the sweet side and unfortunately the cap was also sweetned... The coffee flavor was there, but just barely, again not distracting at all... If I had to pick two cigars to be this guys parents, I'd have to say a Rocky Patel Edge Lite had wild and kinky sex with a Drew Estates Java... I've never had the Java Latte, but I've got to imagine this was pretty close... The last 1/3 started to get slightly on the bitter side, but I also detected a hint of ammonia, so I'm pretty sure it was just still a little green... A little time in a humi should fix that right up nicely...

Overall I was extremely pleased with this guy... In all honestly for a <$2 cigar I was really expecting something pretty bad... What I got was something that WAY over exceeded my expectations... Did it flip my lid the way the Java Maduro did? No, but at the same time, I certainly wouldn't have a problem offering one of these to a friend and knowing they'd have a great smoke...
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    rusirius:
    The sumatra wrapper ... Being infused
    Another flavored Sumatra? WTF? Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a biatch?
    urbino:
    rusirius:
    The sumatra wrapper ... Being infused
    Another flavored Sumatra? WTF? Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a biatch?
    LMAO... I'd have to agree but in the same respect, at least we're talking coffee here not Grape err excuse me, "Purple" Kool-Aid or something... LOL... And honestly it's just a "hint" of infusion...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    rusirius:
    The burn was incrediably even all the way through... The first ash I flicked off as it was approaching 2 inches...
    thats strange. all the mixed filler smokes ive had ashed like they were voting in chicago. Early and often.
    kuzi16:
    rusirius:
    thats strange. all the mixed filler smokes ive had ashed like they were voting in chicago. Early and often.
    My thoughts exactly... I guess the binder in these really held it together well... The only "artifact" I noticed that really showed that it was a mixed was that when the ash did come off it always did so in a "torpedo" shape... In other words, the wrapper/binder portion seperated right at the burn level, but then it made a "point" right out towards the center... An upside down V if the cigar were pointing straight up verticle in other words... I've noticed this before with some of the ccom smokes that were mixed fill...
    that also happens if you are smoking too fast. I cant count that as 100% because of the mixed filler. plus you did mention it burned quickly. Ive had long filler do that to me when i was smoking it to fast.
    kuzi16:
    that also happens if you are smoking too fast. I cant count that as 100% because of the mixed filler. plus you did mention it burned quickly. Ive had long filler do that to me when i was smoking it to fast.
    Actually it burned pretty slowly... I WAS however smoking pretty fast... I was smoking it more to try it than to sit down and relax... I'd say I was probably drawing on it once every 30-45 seconds whereas I usually hit about once every 60-75 seconds... Still it was a Toro and took me over an hour to smoke, so I can't say it was burning fast...
    ok, that makes even more sence why you got the cone. you smoking fast almost always gets the cone.
    kuzi16:
    ok, that makes even more sence why you got the cone. you smoking fast almost always gets the cone.
    Gotcha... Never realized that before!
  • RobRutkowskiRobRutkowski Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 67
    I'm hitting one of these tonight like the fist of an angry god.  Excellent.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I tried one of these once to see what an infused cigar was like. I didn't really like the infused flavor but I have to agree the burn was very even the whole way and the ash held tenaciously. I was impressed with how it smoked even though the flavor wasn't for me.