Home General Discussion

Difference between mold and bloom

GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
I grabbed a AF hemmingway yesterday to enjoy while reading field and stream and it had small round white marks on it. There were only a couple marks which makes me think its not bloom but I wanted to ask anyway. It smoked just fine.

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Mold is 3D and fluffy; Bloom is 2D and dusty - the color of the mold/bloom doesn't matter (eg - just because it's blue doesn't mean it's bloom)
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    have a look at the vid tim and kim made about it ;)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    xmacro:
    Mold is 3D and fluffy; Bloom is 2D and dusty - the color of the mold/bloom doesn't matter (eg - just because it's blue doesn't mean it's bloom)
    bloom will be a bit sparkly too
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Don't know if this link will survive my trying to post it here but, if it does, it leads to a pretty good article on 'bloom'.

http://sn111w.snt111.mail.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

Marty

Nope, I was afraid of that. I'll try something else.

Marty

Okay, let's try this:

Cigar bloom is actually the visible appearance of the oils in the cigar, which usually happens only after the oils have been kept at a very sustained level for a lengthy period of time. This is something often found on aged or vintage stogies and is a highly desirable result. In fact, many enthusiasts prefer to smoke cigars with plume or bloom on their surface.

Had it actually been mold, the looks of the surface would have been noticeably different and rather than a generally dusty appearance, the surface of the cigar would have splotches of blue or grey discoloration. Though there are some ways to cure this, it is best to prevent it altogether by keeping a very constant eye on the level of humidity inside the box. It is also important to remember that a cigar that develops mold has probably also left spores behind in the box as well, and all possible steps to kill this mold without harming the box should be taken.

Why do cigars develop this bloom? Cigars are made from organic materials, mainly tobacco, and this is a substance that contains volatile oils. When the oils receive a regular level of humidity and air they can evenly disperse throughout the cigar, and when they reach the surface of the outer wrapping they crystallize and provide that overall dusty appearance.

Other than the viewable dust or powder, does bloom have any other effects on a cigar? Most experts agree that the bloom itself has no detectable taste, nor does it change the bouquet of the unlit cigar. What most do agree upon is that it provides visible evidence that the cigar has been aged properly and under the finest conditions possible. Remembering that most people age cigars in order to mellow or enhance the flavors of the tobacco means that bloom can be used as a clear sign that a cigar is ripe for the sampling.

Marty

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    xmacro:
    well said.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555

Pretty sure that Bryan Glynn - Kaleria, had some pretty cool photos comparing the two!
    Awesome up close of a mold spore on a cigar.