Home General Discussion

Need an everyday alternitive to Gurkha Doble Maduro

khyerskhyers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
My father-in-law used to like the occational cigar, but due to limited income and no real knowledge about cigars he would smoke what every was at the local convieniant store .. real crap. This year for Christmas a co-worker pointed me to cigar.com and I hooked him up a humidor, a 5 Vegas sampler and a Padilla sampler. He was in heaven. I asked him to keep the wrappers from what he likes but of course he didn't, he also went through all the cigars in less than two months, but that was OK because his birthday was soon and I now had a gift to get him for every occasion. So I got him a sampler of mixed cigar types and I did up the create your own Gurkha sampler trying to pick what I think he would like from what he said about the other sticks I got him.

Well he is through most of that now but he did call me to point out he thought the Doble Maduro was the best cigar he ever smoked.

So now I have a problem. I have figured out he was only an occasional smoker because he was smoking dirt and now that he has good sticks he is about an every other day smoker. Although I like treating him to premium cigars I can't afford to keep him stocked with Gurkha's to smoke all the time.

So what is an affordable replacement for the doble maduro?

On a side note I would smoke once in a while, usually at an event of some sort. But I'm starting to get into it and hope to pick up my own humidor soon.

Comments

• BTJR99BTJR99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    I've never smoked that Gurkha. You may want to try the cigar.com Brazilian label a spin. Sampler of all four sizes is $9.95 You should also call in to cigar.com and see what they suggest.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I've never had that particular Gurkha, but here are a few of my favorite "cheap" maduros: Nica Libre, Alex Bradley Maxx, 5 Vegas Series A, Carlos Torano Casa Torano Maduro to name a few. If you call in to ccom, ask for Jeff Jackson and beg him to hook you up on the price, perhaps he'll get you a nice price! He typically charges me between $2 and $5 a stick for the ones I listed.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    The Doble Maduro is pretty great, you can still get them on the build your own sampler for 3.50 a piece. I would second the Ccom Brazilian Label and Nica Libre as well.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Bahia Maduro! around a $1.50 each for a bundle of 20.
  • khyerskhyers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pick up some singles and see how he likes them
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    La Estrella Cubana Bundles. I have smoked them side by side with a Gurkha Double Maduro and barely tell the difference.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Alex Svenson:
    La Estrella Cubana Bundles. I have smoked them side by side with a Gurkha Double Maduro and barely tell the difference.
    Well this seals it for me........ I've been on the fence about biting on the La Estrellas. Ima gonna do it now!
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Ooh ooh, I almost forgot my suggestion....... LHCOF (La Harencia Cubana Oscuro Fuerte). Good bang for your buck there too.
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    I gotta second the La Estrella. Nice dark wrapper, no burn issues, and actually kinda mild in body. The only real difference, the Estrella was just a little rougher on the palette.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Alex Svenson:
    Yeah, like you would know. haha

I wonder how much money this site make every time Alex posts? Just think how many bundles of these they are going to sell in the next few days because of this post. He is Yoda. I'm jeleous.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Is there a reason Gurkha spelled double incorrectly?
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Russ55:

I'm guessing, but I think that 'doble' is spanish for 'double'.

Marty

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    jlmarta:
    Russ55:

Marty

I think it's just a variant on the standard spelling of double.

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    stephen_hannibal:
    jlmarta:
    Russ55:

Marty

I think it's just a variant on the standard spelling of double.

NO wait you're right.
    Spanish to english