Home General Discussion

what is a good lighter to travel with? and how to?

cliff tcliff t Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
I fly alot, but would like to buy a lighter i can travel with, and what is the usual rule on travel with one?

Comments

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    cliff t:
    I fly alot, but would like to buy a lighter i can travel with, and what is the usual rule on travel with one?
    my knowledge is that no lighters are allowed in the cabin. You can pack them in your checked bag though. That's always what I do. I pack my lighter and cutter in my herfador in my checked back.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I bought a $5 torch from my B&M and it works great. Only way to travel with a torch is to pack it in your suitcase under the plane. You may be able to put it in your carry on knowing there is a chance it will be gone. I go on a lot of golf trips with my cousin and he leaves it in his pocket and they have never done a thing. His cheap one is mostly plastic.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    cholmes8310:
    cliff t:
    my knowledge is that no lighters are allowed in the cabin. You can pack them in your checked bag though. That's always what I do. I pack my lighter and cutter in my herfador in my checked back.
    Good to know since I was planning a trip and was worried about having to leave them behind or go without my stogies, I had considered checking them in my luggage but I think when I went to Chi-town couple years ago they let me bring my lighter and cutter on board, but I could be mistaken...
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    It all depends on whether or not the metal detector is working. I went through security in LAX after christmas, and then realized at the gate I had my cutter, and lighter in my pocket. I told the ticket agent at the gate and they checked it. I don't think you can even travel with matches anymore....I am pretty sure everything has to be checked.
  • BTJR99BTJR99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 97
    As of August 4, 2007, the butane filled torch lighters are only allowed to be carried in checked luggage as long as they are in this TSA approved torch lighter carrying case.
    Take a ronson jetlight. You can find them for less than 5 dollars. If they take it no worries.
    If you want to take somthing nicer with you then you gotta put it in your check in luggage. Colibri makes this case called a tranzpack it is "approved by FAA, DOT and TSA to carry a butane filled lighter to be carried on airplane in your checked baggage"
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    I use this http://directory.pten.com/product/10100130/Solder-It_Inc_Micro-Jet_310_micro_torch you can take the case with you then buy a disposible lighter at your destination airport or where ever, pop it in and you have a torch.....they are cheap and you can find disposible lighters to fit anywhere in the world. Ive taken mine to Singapore, japan, south pacific, and have never had a problem. FYI there are other brands for the same thing. The safety on this thing is a *** for one handed use, but if you use a dremel and cut off the little sping to hold the safety, you can use it one handed no problem.