Home General Discussion

Need Help

HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
I've been trying to get a humidor built for some time now and I went to Lowe's to try and find materials I needed... the dumbass in Lumber first told me their cedar was Spanish and Kiln Dried... only to go back today and have another tell me it wasn't... they didn't carry Lacquer nor did they have quadrant hinges... I'm so pissed off with that place I can barely type without wanting to drop the f bomb every other word.. so.. WTF is a quadrant hinge and how in the hell can I find flat lacquer and kiln dried Spanish Cedar without having to order from a specialty lumber place?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402

Kiln dried spanish cedar is a specialty wood - it's mostly used to make humidors, and not much else
    http://tinyurl.com/36l9ylb

http://tinyurl.com/2egdgsf

• Cigar SherlockCigar Sherlock Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    Try your local cabinet makers...They should have spanish cedar in stock..might also help you with the lacquer. As for the piano hinges or quadrant hinges...that you'll have to order.
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    so am I better off just buying one rather than having a Master Craftsman build me one?
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    You can guarantee what you want if you have it build but you can save a ton of money if you just buy one pre-made.
    They both do the same thing It's just a matter of what extras you want.

• gdsim1gdsim1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 213
    Also might want to PM a BOTL on here by the name of WaxingMoon if you havent already and see if he can get you pointed in the right direction for materials. This dude makes some SERIOUSLY gorgeous humi's, and if anyone can give you the straight poop on who sells what material-wise, itd be him.

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    gdsim1:
    Also might want to PM a BOTL on here by the name of WaxingMoon if you havent already and see if he can get you pointed in the right direction for materials. This dude makes some SERIOUSLY gorgeous humi's, and if anyone can give you the straight poop on who sells what material-wise, itd be him.

+1
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    gdsim1:

And or Cabinetmaker??
    Ok so thanks to Waxingmoon and Cabbie, I am now pointed in the right direction but have hit yet another dilemma what wood to chose for the outside since the inside is pretty much blatantly obvious it's now a matter of how awesome I want it to look over breaking the bank... narrowed it down to African Blackwood (don't think they sell it in the right size), Purpleheart, Jobillo, and Marblewood if you are curious what these woods look like here is a link to the "exotic" woods.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1002123/Exotic-and-Domestic-Woods.aspx
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Hayblet:
    Ok so thanks to Waxingmoon and Cabbie, I am now pointed in the right direction but have hit yet another dilemma what wood to chose for the outside since the inside is pretty much blatantly obvious it's now a matter of how awesome I want it to look over breaking the bank... narrowed it down to African Blackwood (don't think they sell it in the right size), Purpleheart, Jobillo, and Marblewood if you are curious what these woods look like here is a link to the "exotic" woods.

not sure who you are gettin to build it but waxing does an AMAZING job on making it as cheap as possible for us BOTL. Seriously, if i had the money, i would ask him to do it!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Alex Williams:
    Hayblet:

not sure who you are gettin to build it but waxing does an AMAZING job on making it as cheap as possible for us BOTL. Seriously, if i had the money, i would ask him to do it!

Agreed. That man does some amazing work and I garauntee he'd sell it for close to what you'd pay to make it.
    well after a long frustrating debate with my friend it would just seem that buying one is gonna be cheaper /sigh
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Hayblet:
    well after a long frustrating debate with my friend it would just seem that buying one is gonna be cheaper /sigh
    i would just start talking to waxing via his website and just see what he'll charge for what you want.