Home General Discussion

A cigar log ?

bluezulubluezulu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 108
Hey Gents. I have been smoking premiums for about a year and a half but still consider myself a noob. New to the forums and I am amazed at the cigar knowledge on this forum. I jump into anything I enjoy doing head first and premium cigars and the varieties of them is mind blowing. I'm a little anal and would love to find out how you guys amass your knowledge of cigars. Is it simply trial and error and recommendations? I save the labels of cigars that catch my fancy, write a note or two on the back of what I like and I have started a little journal. Is this something any one else have done or has my ocd kicked in and taken hold. Thanks for the feedback. blue.

Comments

• gripnripgripnrip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Welcome blue. I started keeping a journal last winter (not much else to do when smoking in the garage). I make notes on draw, burn, ash, flavors, etc. Like you say, there are so many varieties and sizes to try, it's hard to keep track. I find it interesting to go back and read what I have written after some of the cigars have had a chance to rest or if I am smoking a cigar that I haven't had in a while. Also list my favorites so I can provided a gift list if necessary-lol.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    gripnrip:
    Welcome blue. I started keeping a journal last winter (not much else to do when smoking in the garage). I make notes on draw, burn, ash, flavors, etc. Like you say, there are so many varieties and sizes to try, it's hard to keep track. I find it interesting to go back and read what I have written after some of the cigars have had a chance to rest or if I am smoking a cigar that I haven't had in a while. Also list my favorites so I can provided a gift list if necessary-lol.
    Same here. I just started mine a few months ago. After 5 years of smoking, I find myself forgetting which ones I've had and didn't like. I find the journal helps. I keep notes on construction/burn/draw/size/flavors, etc, then a final comment on whether I'd smoke it again or not. I take the band and glue it to the page as well, so I always have it.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 972
    Journal is a nice start... For me though, my blog offers me the best way to keep track of what I like and have smoked... Plus - it makes it easier for me to search through stuff. Of course you can't log everything on a blog, but who says you have to? The ones that did not make it had a reason not to...
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    I use a computer program called cigar briefcase. It lets you catalog what is in your humidor now or past sticks and lets you put notes for each. It is pretty much the same as a journal just on the computer.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I have a notebook that I keep. I'm not consistent, though. Sometimes I just want to enjoy a cigar without jotting something down every few minutes.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i have a catalog that i keep of cigars that i have smoked. not all of the cigars ive tried are in there but many are.

its in my signature if you wanna look at it.

taking notes on cigars is (IMHO) the best way to help you understand what you do and dont like in cigars and why.
  • minibeezyminibeezy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 257
    sightunseen:
    I have a notebook that I keep. I'm not consistent, though. Sometimes I just want to enjoy a cigar without jotting something down every few minutes.

This. I keep a moleskin journal next to my humidor and when I'm in the mood to take notes, I will. I usually keep the band in the journal next to the notes.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    To use an old adage
    "Repetition is the Mother of education"
    I learn something new everyday and try to always keep new sticks coming in to try
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I'm not gonna lie when I first saw the thread title I was picturing a log sized cigar and my mouth was watering...lol I have been considering lately doing this. I think I will have to start. I have a journal with tons of room in it that I took to Iraq with me but never had time to write in it...haha
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    ENFIDL:
    I'm not gonna lie when I first saw the thread title I was picturing a log sized cigar and my mouth was watering...lol
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    i have a nice leather bound journal (which u can buy here at ccom), I put my notes and labels in there. I have been doing that now for about a year and have several pages worth of notes. I really like going back and reading my notes and remembering the really good smokes.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    I debated whether or not to do this when I started smoking but a month or so in I decided to. I simply take notes in my mind about the cigar, then after I'm done with it open up a word document and write it down.. been doing it for a few months and it helps me remember what I do and don't like
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    As in yule, yule log. Not a log, I don't have a log. I mean you know. If I had a log, not in the sense that you think I said I did.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    Sorry for reviving an old thread.....
    Some time ago I spoke of building my own online cigar log/journal. I was politely told by the good BOTL and SOTL here that many online services already exist, so why re-invent the wheel?

Well, I thought I would create something that was easy for me to update, looked different and was as easy (for me) as writing things down. Keep in mind this is a working prototype and not the finished product, but I thought I'd show it off a little, for those of you who have the time:

Click here to check out camgfs's personal online cigar journal
    The link will open in another window/tab, depending on your browser settings.
    I plan to add pictures, links, some more flash animation and possibly even a video review of the cigars, right on the pages of the magazine. Done it before for video training for a big company. Figure I could put the technology to work for me and have some fun with my own cigar collection. O.K. --> I really do have too much time on my hands, lol.
    There is sound, and you will require flash animation to work on your computer (it works, unless you shut it off, lol).

• hardbuckhardbuck Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14
    I definitely keep a cigar log. The beautiful thing about this hobby is that each cigar is different to each person that smokes it. Therefore, I like to "rate" my own cigars as well as give myself a brief description. I also recommend you put information as to when you smoked it and how long it was curing in your humidor. I am also new and have been trying some samplers to see what I like. I posted a thread on this forum earlier telling the users what I liked so far and they made some fantastic recommendations. I think I will try one of those cigar journals ^^ on my comp, tho. Up till now I've been using a notepad. Best of luck!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    That's kinda cool....
    stephen_hannibal:
    That's kinda cool....
    Thank you. I still plan on making a database driven app that I can put online for multiple users. Time is the problem. Already working on a large web project and starting school in just 2 weeks.

• chrisd56chrisd56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 77
    There are actually a few applications on my Motorola Droid that you caan use to keep track of what you smoked with notes. Was thinking of doing this so it will always be at my fingertips.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    chrisd56:
    There are actually a few applications on my Motorola Droid that you caan use to keep track of what you smoked with notes. Was thinking of doing this so it will always be at my fingertips.
    till you drop your phone in the toilet.

HA!

im a strange one... not only is my catalog on the forum, but its on my hard drive, on a back-up disk, AND in the notebook that i scratch the notes as i smoke.

talk about redundancy
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    chrisd56:
    till you drop your phone in the toilet.

HA!

im a strange one... not only is my catalog on the forum, but its on my hard drive, on a back-up disk, AND in the notebook that i scratch the notes as i smoke.

talk about redundancy
    good backup system.... Ive dropped my phone in my coffee before. I was sleep deprived and I thought thats where the phone belonged.... ploop.
    I keep a note pad, but have started to put my notes in an online journal. I like having projects to work on, and keeping it different. I am posting a link, for anyone who wants to view and/or give feedback.

mycigarlog.html

• Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    I have kept notes in a journal on every cigar I have smoked. Any little nuance or trait I liked or diidn"t like, along with other notes about the stik. I find it very helpful in keeping track.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Sounds awesome. Can't get to that with my Droid. I'll check it out later today