Home Non Cigar Related

CSA Farm Shares

Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
So I have been looking into buying a family share in a CSA Farm. I have found they range greatly in price depending on what you are getting. I was just wondering if anyone has looked into or has gotten into this. For anyone who is wondering what this is it is a farm that sells "shares" of the harvest. Some have things like veg. or fruit and some have meat and poultry. You can buy into organic farms and all. Then you pick your stuff up either at the farmers market that they sell at or the farm itself. It looks like a pretty good set up but you are taking the risk right along with the farmer. If they have a bad harvest so do you. But I think this is a great way to support local farming and a good way to insure good food since alot of them allow you to come out or even help out and work the farm with them. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Confederate States of America?? The south will rise again! YEEHAW
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 213
    Alex Williams:
    Obama & his cronies keep their BS up much longer, I think secession is closer than you think bro!

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Alex Williams:
    Ahem... "Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton, old times there are not forgotten... look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie land!"
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    My fiance and I are looking into this now actually. Most of the ones around us are very reasonably priced since the profits go direct to the farmers. We can get organic food for about the same price as we get imported normal produce at the grocery.

Best advice is to shop around and talk to the folks running the Co-Op. See if you get to choose what you want or if it's just a "standard harvest". Some of ours have multiple pick-up locations if the farmer's market isn't convenient.

Even if you end up paying a little more, it feels better putting more money in the pocket of the farmers. For us fresh produce is a world better than anything in the store too. Even if it's just perception it's still a noticable difference.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    After reading this thread, my girlfriend and I signed up for one in our state. Fresh vegetables and supporting local farms = no brainer for us.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130