Home General Discussion

This is an interesting X

zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
Just found this surfing the web...$295 per bottle, anyone have this? Thought this was very interesting and I'd share with you guys!

Carlos Fuente Jr., cigarmaster behind the popular Fuente Fuente OpusX brand, has teamed with Johnny Soyak and Matt Bogosian of Grand Pommier XS Calvados brandy to create a two-in-one combo product called Cigar in the Bottle.

Cigar in the Bottle places a special-edition Fuente cigar perfectly within the body of a bottle of Calvados, an apple brandy made in France. The Fuente Fuente Forbidden X is a one-of-a-kind cigar, measuring 6 3/8 inches by 49 ring gauge, that can only be found inside this uniquely designed (and patented) bottle.

Fuente says seven types of tobacco are used to make the bottled Forbidden X, all grown on the grounds of Chateau de la Fuente in the Dominican Republic. The tobacco is taken from the middle primings, resulting in a sweeter smoother blend to complement the Calvados, according to Fuente. These Forbidden X cigars feature the signature strength of all OpusX cigars, but the ones for the bottle project have been aged 30 to 45 days inside oak casks that once stored the Calvados, which Fuente says adds a hint of apple sweetness. The Grand Pommier XS is distilled from apples grown in the Normandy region of France and aged between 30 and 40 years.

The presentation is striking. The Forbidden X, wrapped in cedar, is perfectly stored within the body of the Calvados bottle, which is hand-blown in southern France in such a way that a cylindrical tube is perfectly formed from the bottle's bottom. The cigar fits in the cylinder and a tiny disc-shaped Humidipak is used to cork the bottom. A sticker featuring a hologram image of Carlos Fuente Sr. and Carlos Jr. is used to hold the Humidipak in place. According to Soyak, the Humidipak will keep the Forbidden X fresh for at least a year. When the time comes to indulge, just peel away the sticker to reach the cigar.

"This is for the person who has almost everything," You know the phrase, 'Now you can have your cake and eat it, too?' Well, now you can have your cigar and your brandy too."

A portion of the proceeds from every bottle sold will be donated to the Cigar Family Charitable Foundation, an organization developed by Fuente Jr. that assists in the humanitarian efforts for needy children in the Dominican Republic.

After a two year wait this highly anticipated product has finally hit the US shores. Extremely Limited !! This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to purchase a true work of art. One unit per customers please until we fill all backorders

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Pick me up 1 when you order yours!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    (cough),,,,,(cough)overpriced(cough...ahem)
  • mrpillowmrpillow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 464
    If it was reasonably priced would it be nearly as cool? I mean come one. Half the fun of ridiculously expensive crap is just that...
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    I saw that several years ago at Casa Fuente in Vegas. I think it was a bigger bottle and more expensive there at that time. Super sexy, but.....$250....i guess if you got that kind of cash laying around with nothing better to do with it. none the less.....it is sexy
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    How much does that bottle cost by itself though?
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    mrpillow:
    If it was reasonably priced would it be nearly as cool? I mean come one. Half the fun of ridiculously expensive crap is just that...

You said it yourself, "...ridiculously expensive CRAP...". If you'd drop 300 on a cigar and a drink.....rock on....guess i'm more on the practical end of the scale. I dont get why Fuente holds his stuff in such high regards. So he made a "Cigar of the Year" and uses that justifiation to jack prices through the roof on the rest of his stuff....same goes for padron. But i can go to the b&m and get a casa magna for 6 bucks. Fuente isnt too far behind gurkha when it comes to marketing. Opus's and Forbiddens are good, but not for what he charges. Not that i put much stock into their ratings anyway, but just sayin, He's not the Jesus of cigar makers like he wants to believe.
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Well after reading about it some more, it says that the cigar has to be smoked within a year. I would say this is just more of a collectors item to showcase. I really doubt too many people buy this. But you're right Jet, I wouldnt buy it either.

the only AF stogie I have is the best seller, and will get another one from a buddy in vegas from casa fuente, thats it.

but from their view, they are in business to make money, if someone is willling to pay for it, who are they to say no, right?
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    For the same money, you could get a number of great cigars, including an X should you be so inclined, and at least one bottle of great liquor.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Yeah I almost bit this a while back but instead bought a nice bottle of apple brandy and lit up a forbidden x and really was underwhelmed with the forbidden X. Very woody and flat flavors. It was nor where near as good, hell I wouldn't even put it in the class of an X. Though it could have been a bad stick, I have 3 more left so I'll see. The apple brandy was good though. I did a review on the forbidden X as well.
  • mrpillowmrpillow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 464
    But see, I wouldnt buy this with the intention of smoking of drinking any part of it. It'd go on a shelf so I could point at it and say "Look what I have" =P
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I guess I'm just too practical. I can see myself getting a number of really great cigars for that price. If after winning the lottery I wanted a conversation piece, then I would buy it. Not before!
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    I'd buy it for when the world goes to h ell in a hand-basket...
  • Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,515
    Hayblet:
    I'd buy it for when the world goes to h ell in a hand-basket...
    have you seen our president lately? The time is here my friend...

*edit* that was in no way shape or form a racial slur
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    As squirrel said, the cigar is a forbidden x and they can be had for usually $30 to $40. That being said, I agree with him that for the price the cigar was a bit flat. It was nice for a $10, maybe $15 stick, but nowhere near the pricepoint it's at. There was a definite apple-like sweetness with cedar, but underwhelming, none-the-less.

I'm sure the calvados inside is good, but I don't know if I'd pay that kind of money for something from a company that I know overprices everything "special" that they put out. I'm sure there are better bottles of calvados out there for less money that don't come with a cigar, but with the money you save, you can probably buy a forbidden x and a few opuses to compare it to.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Yea, but where else can you get a cigar, bottle and sex toy all in one?
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    cabinetmaker:
    LMAO!! It might be a uni-sex toy if ya look at it. hahah
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 682
    YankeeMan:
    I guess I'm just too practical.

I'm too married with two kids to buy that. image
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    cabinetmaker:
    lol...
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846