Home General Discussion

smoking time

bobdbobd Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 71
I don't if I smoke slowly or not, but it seems like from what I read a lot of people finish ciagrs faster than I do.  How long do you take to finish the variuos sizes and when do you consider a cigar to be finsished, at the band, nub, etc....

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    The cigar is finished when it stops being enjoyable, whether that happens at the halfway point or when I'm burning my fingers, that's my golden rule. Smoking time depends on the blend, some cigars are made with slower burning tobaccos or are more densely packed than others, so there can be a lot of variance in burn times even when talking about the same size.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    There so many factors that are involved, i.e. - indoor, outdoor, windy, moisture in the stick, etc. For me. . .

Robusto - 45-60 minutes

Toro/Torpedo - 1 - 1:15 hours

Churchill - 1:15 - 1:30 hours.

Double Toro - About two hours.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    j0z3r:
    The cigar is finished when it stops being enjoyable, whether that happens at the halfway point or when I'm burning my fingers, that's my golden rule. Smoking time depends on the blend, some cigars are made with slower burning tobaccos or are more densely packed than others, so there can be a lot of variance in burn times even when talking about the same size.
    Exactly. It takes as long as you want it to take. Smoke at your pace not someone elses. Its done when you no longer enjoy it. Life is too short to smoke non-enjoyable cigars.
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 474
    Stryker808:
    It takes as long as you want it to take. Smoke at your pace not someone elses. Its done when you no longer enjoy it.
    I have a smoking buddy that we share daily deals and whatnot... and a great example to your question was last night... He got a few of those Cu-Avasa Belicimos from last week... He ended his at about 1/4 left around 40 mins in, And I ended mine when it burned my fingers over an hour and a half in.

If you are enjoying your 'gar, And enjoying your pace. Then don't give a care at how fast/long it takes someone else. You just keep enjoying yours :-)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    j0z3r:
    The cigar is finished when it stops being enjoyable.
    perfect.

i smoke slow. I have made a Churchill last damn near 3 hours.

toros last me longer than most people take to smoke a churchill (1:45-2:15)

ive even squeezed 1:30-1:45 out of a robusto. coronas are usually just over an hour or so. petite coronas are in the 45 min range.

i dont want to think how long an A would last.

if anyone doesnt believe me just ask the guys that were at the MI/OH herf in Akron. that Avo 22 was 2+ hours.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    perfect.

ive even squeezed 1:30-1:45 out of a robusto. coronas are usually just over an hour or so. petite coronas are in the 45 min range.

if anyone doesnt believe me just ask the guys that were at the MI/OH herf in Akron. that Avo 22 was 2+ hours.
    Over the last couple of months, I've seen my smoke get closer and closer to being like this. I've found that the longer I take on one cigar, the less chance there is of me going back into the humi.
    Matt Marvel:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    perfect.

Over the last couple of months, I've seen my smoke get closer and closer to being like this. I've found that the longer I take on one cigar, the less chance there is of me going back into the humi.
    you've probably also noticed that the level of spice in your cigars has gone down and more other flavors have been noticed. you probably also noticed that smaller ring cigars taste better than they used to.

..thats what i noticed when i slowed down.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    I totally agree with both of these responses. I used to think that when others mentioned stiks lasting an hour and a half and when I smoked the same stik it lasted maybe an hour...I wondered what I was doing wrong. My conclusion was that I may not be doing anyhting wrong it was just my smoking technique probably differs from others but that didn't mean I enjoyed my stiks any less. Now I let it take as long as it takes, if it is a really good stik I try to make it last as long as possible without having to re-light. and if the cigar is one that I am not enjoying, the experience could be over in as little as fifteen to twenty minutes. (that really sounds like other experiences also....wow)
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    j0z3r:
    Couldnt agree more with this.. for me, a cigar lasts as long as I'm still enjoying it, well said joe
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    kuzi16:
    Matt Marvel:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    perfect.

you've probably also noticed that the level of spice in your cigars has gone down and more other flavors have been noticed. you probably also noticed that smaller ring cigars taste better than they used to.

..thats what i noticed when i slowed down.
    Definitely. It's amazing how much better a cigar is when you take that much time to enjoy it.
    Matt Marvel:
    It's amazing how much better a cigar is when you take that much time to enjoy it.
    yes.

just, yes
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    kuzi16:
    And he had an orgasm for the entire 2+ hours.

I also smoke very slowly. Typical robusto will last me 1:20-1:30, Toro 1:45 and a churchill 2 hours or more.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555

I am totally with the slow smokers here.

Cholmes can attest, I smoke a standard torp in about 2 hours. Robusto typically well over an hour.

I dont often venture into the churchil & presidente lines often because of this. Its really tough for me to commit over 2 hours to a cigar.
    Id do it too if it was good enough.

• HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    Fourtotheflush:

I am totally with the slow smokers here.

Cholmes can attest, I smoke a standard torp in about 2 hours. Robusto typically well over an hour.

I dont often venture into the churchil & presidente lines often because of this. Its really tough for me to commit over 2 hours to a cigar.
    Id do it too if it was good enough.

Any idea how long it would take you to smoke one of those Double Happiness'?
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    TatuajeVI:
    kuzi16:
    And he had an orgasm for the entire 2+ hours.

That he did.

I have found myself now smoking slower and slower. I was at the B&M sunday and had a Padron 1964 Imperial last close to 2hrs. I dont know if it was the conversation slowing me down or the fact that it was a great smoke but I dont concern myself with the length of time that it takes me to smoke. Just enjoy the ride.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I am a naturally slow smoker, which helps. One of my biggest cigar pet peeves is if I feel like I have to rush through a smoke.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    I was about to make a thread about smoking time, but I found this one... so back from the grave...

I have noticed that lately my cigars are lasting longer and longer. I used to smoke a Robusto in 40-ish minutes when I figrst started smoking. These days a Robusto is going to last me well over an hour, sometimes up to 1:30. For example, I have been smoking a Cu Avana Intenso torp (6x54 i think?) for an hour and 45 minutes tonight, and still have about 2 inches/20-30 minutes left depending on temperature. I find that cigars taste better, and burn better when smoked at a slower steadier pace. Drawing once a minute/minute and a half tends to be the pace I find works best, but really I don't pay much attention to that. I also have found that strength is less of an issue when smoking slowly. You'll still feel it when you smoke a strong stick, but I haven't felt sick or overwhelmed by a cigar in for a while now, and I attribute that largely to smoking slower. Cigars tend to get bitter for me if they burn too hot, and that definitely happens more when i draw too often. My advice... take it slowwww... relax!