Home General Discussion

Hygrometer problem?

Pacman84Pacman84 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 633
I bought a boveda calibration kit. I received it on Saturday, I immediately followed the instructions and place my hygrometer in the bag and left it alone. I checked it today for the 24 hour mark and saw that it read 73 F and 65% RH. If it doesn't change at the 36 hour mark, do I go ahead and do the whole 48 hours or what should I do?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I'd say give it 48 hours, and if it doesn't change just note that it's 10% low. As long as you note it, keeping track should be no big problem.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    j0z3r:
    I'd say give it 48 hours, and if it doesn't change just note that it's 10% low. As long as you note it, keeping track should be no big problem.
    +1
  • Pacman84Pacman84 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 633
    Should I take out the cigars and wipe the humi down with distilled water then put the cigars back?
  • mrpillowmrpillow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 464
    No, they'll be fine. Throw in a humi-pillow if you're worried.
    Was I supposed to leave that little pack it came with inside with the hygrometer?
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    no; that was just for the cigars while they were travelling, though you can use it in your humidor if you want
    My hygrometer is off by 10% rh it's getting to the 48 hour mark
    If your hygro's adjustable, re-calibrate it to 75% once you hit the 48 hr mark
    So just click it 10 times and then do I put it back in the bag or what do I do?
    What kind of hygrometer is it? Some of the adjustable ones are a bit touchy and you kind of have to mess with it until you get it right. If it's a Xikar, just press and hold the button and it will automatically recalibrate to 75%.
    Pacman84:
    So just click it 10 times and then do I put it back in the bag or what do I do?
    However you re-calibrate it, you're supposed to make the adjustments while they hygro's still in the bag - so don't take it out until after you've adjusted it
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    When you take it out, let the hygro adjust to the ambient room rH, and THEN turn the adjustment knob the required number of ticks. I tried to adjust mine even in the bag, and it went all wacky on me. When I recalibrated it the second time, I just left it out of the bag until it settled, then I changed it. Now it's dead-on.

^ Can't do that if it's a Xikar; those reset to 75% once you push/hold the button
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    xmacro:
    ^ Can't do that if it's a Xikar; those reset to 75% once you push/hold the button

You're right, push-button reset-to-75 hygros don't work that way. I've got the Humi-Care digital hygro, and you just turn the knob. I gave him directions for that one because he mentioned "click it 10 times" to reset it.

It's a hygroset adjustable. I went ahead and took it out today after the 48 hours. I adjusted the knob almost all the way it's now at 63%. I'm thinking of just getting a new xikar
  • mrpillowmrpillow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 464
    If you were trying to get it to read 75% you needed to leave it in the bag while adjusting, or let it stabilize at room temp before adjusting the appropriate amount.
    Oh ok. I'm having a tough time trying to do this
    The hydrosets can be difficult at times, they are very easy to over/under-adjust. You have to play with them a bit, but I have several and have never had a problem. Make sure you are hitting the reset button after you adjust, I made that mistake before and was ready to pull my hair out when I couldn't adjust the damn thing.
    It's still at 63%. I have it in there with the humidipak it came with. I reset it earlier and adjusted the knob it's still not doing anything.
    Are the xikar hygrometers any good?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Pacman84:
    Are the xikar hygrometers any good?
    i dont think Xikar produces a single product that i dont endorse 100% (they back it 100% no questions asked. id go for it.)
    I'm more than likely going to buy the new xikar digital that came out. Can I still use the boveda kit i used this past Saturday on my other hygrometer?