Home General Discussion

21st bday cigar splurge..

illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
Hey everyone so my 21st birthday is coming up soon on May 25th and I've asked for some ccom gift certificates and some cash so that I can splurge and buy a few boxes.. So far I've decided on the Tin Man Sampler for sure, but these are the choices (I'd like to buy 2 boxes) the Gran Habano Vintage 2002 (havent had one but I've heard good things), Graycliff G2, and either the 5 vegas gold or classic, Gurkha Micro-Batch C-10, LHCOF, Gurkha Sherpa Cafe,Gurkha Cuban Legacy, Verdadero Organic, oh and a nub sampler with a torch.. (this is just hopes and dreams, lol).. I know these are a lot of choices but I'd like your guys' input as to which two I should buy! Im open to all suggestions, but I'm lookin for boxes between $40-$80 each

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    In that price range, two of my favorites are the sol cubano cabinet #4, and the sancho panza double maduro.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    The 5Vegas Classic and the NUB Sampler....

• rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    I would go with the nub sampler and the gurkha Micro batch C-10. I have found that pretty much if gurkha makes it you can't go wrong.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    I don't think you can go wrong with a mazo of the Gran Habano Vintage 2002, one of the best $2.00 sticks around. Had my first the other day (got it in a trade with The Cank) and popped for a mazo the very next day. By the way, Happy 21st! I remember mine like it was 20 years ago, LOL.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    you're more into mild-medium stuff, right? check out the Padilla Achilles. Creamy smoke, anytime of day, really enjoyable. Boxes are pretty cheap - you can always call in a beg if it's a bit more than you want to spend. Especially if you're ordering a good sized order, get Jeff or Tim on the line and beg them to hook you up.

Nica Libre is another you can't leave off your list. And I haven't had it in a long, long time, but grab a Hoyo de Tradicion while you're at it for a nice medium bodied cigar. I've got one staring at me in my humidors that's been in there for far too long...
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    god so many choices... im a broke college student but I hope to get a couple boxes for my bday... just got my coolerdor up and running and I need to fill it with some sticks!!!
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 356
    Get a few boxes of House Labels. Great bang for your buck.
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    Nub sampler for sure. It wont disappoint.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I got a nub sampler for Xmas and have enjoyed it. I'm sure it won't disappoint.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    illinoisgolf99 You have a PM
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    illinoisgolf99:
    Hey everyone so my 21st birthday is coming up soon on May 25th and I've asked for some ccom gift certificates and some cash so that I can splurge and buy a few boxes.. So far I've decided on the Tin Man Sampler for sure, but these are the choices (I'd like to buy 2 boxes) the Gran Habano Vintage 2002 (havent had one but I've heard good things), Graycliff G2, and either the 5 vegas gold or classic, Gurkha Micro-Batch C-10, LHCOF, Gurkha Sherpa Cafe,Gurkha Cuban Legacy, Verdadero Organic, oh and a nub sampler with a torch.. (this is just hopes and dreams, lol).. I know these are a lot of choices but I'd like your guys' input as to which two I should buy! Im open to all suggestions, but I'm lookin for boxes between $40-$80 each

Get a nub sampler before your bday, figure out what you like and buy a box of em. You will go through them!

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    stephen_hannibal:
    The 5Vegas Classic and the NUB Sampler....

+1 if you are going strictly off your list. However, if you are just looking for suggestions for any cigars in the $60-80 per box price range, I highly recommend these:

Indian Tabac Super Fuerte - full bodied, but not as strong as the name would lead you to believe, very good flavor, lots of caramel and coffee

Ccom Brazilian Label Corona - one of the most flavorful, best bang for your buck sticks out there

La Vieja Habana (Habano or Cameroon) - great, great mixed filler cigars

Alec Bradley Harvest Selection '97 - for the price you can't beat these, plenty of pepper but still very smooth

Gurkha Signature 101 Maduro - these are fantastic smokes, and although they don't comes in boxes, you can almost always find them in 5-packs and "Gurkha Samplers" for around $60-80 for 20 sticks
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    rgalyon0911:
    I would go with the nub sampler and the gurkha Micro batch C-10. I have found that pretty much if gurkha makes it you can't go wrong.

There is a pretty big debate on this forum of teh awesomeness V. awefullness of Ghurka. I totally disagree with every gurka is great. Ive had a few and have had as many duds as greats. Now I havent had the C-10, so i cannot comment on that specific cigar.

• alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Fourtotheflush:
    rgalyon0911:

There is a pretty big debate on this forum of teh awesomeness V. awefullness of Ghurka. I totally disagree with every gurka is great. Ive had a few and have had as many duds as greats. Now I havent had the C-10, so i cannot comment on that specific cigar.

I'll even go as far as to say most of the Gurkhas I've had have been sub-par. There are a few I dig, but most of those are way overpriced. The SIgnature 101 Maduro and Symphony are about the only reasonably priced Gurkhas (by reasonably priced, I mean you can get them for less than $5 each if you look around for deals) I like. Oh, and the Empire VI, that was a damn good smoke.
    thanks for the suggestions guys! keep em coming if you can think of anything! ill post what I get when the big day comes!
    btw stephen congrats on 1000 posts!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    mild smokes.. well I enjoy ccom blue labels. They're cheap and taste really good. 3siglos is a great cigar, very creamy and it's not to spendy. I think gran habano makes them. I don't do a lot of mild smokes or at least what are considered mild smokes but these two are at the top for me. I haven't enjoyed much of what has been mentioned already. Nub connies aren't bad but for the price I'd go with the 3 siglos any day plus much creamier.
    I like more full-bodied smokes but it seems like the less expensive boxes are the milder sticks.. Im also thinkin about a box of diesels, who knows, so much to choose from..
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    TatuajeVI:
    you're more into mild-medium stuff, right? check out the Padilla Achilles. Creamy smoke, anytime of day, really enjoyable. Boxes are pretty cheap - you can always call in a beg if it's a bit more than you want to spend. Especially if you're ordering a good sized order, get Jeff or Tim on the line and beg them to hook you up.

Nica Libre is another you can't leave off your list. And I haven't had it in a long, long time, but grab a Hoyo de Tradicion while you're at it for a nice medium bodied cigar. I've got one staring at me in my humidors that's been in there for far too long...
    Second the Nica Libre. Great stick for the money.
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 410
    illinoisgolf99:
    I like more full-bodied smokes but it seems like the less expensive boxes are the milder sticks.. Im also thinkin about a box of diesels, who knows, so much to choose from..
    If you like more full then something I have been on lately is the AB Harvest Selection 97 Habano. They arent bad for a box starting at $59 and the LHC Oscuro Fuerte starts at $59 as well. I have been smoking alot of those lately.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    Gran Habano 2002 . I LOVE EM !
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    illinoisgolf99:
    Don't forget Cu Avana Intenso. Call in and ask Jeff to hook you up. Last time I asked for them I think he got them to me for $2 a stick for the toro. Yum. Beefy, delicious smoke, and full bodied for sure.
    definitely gona have to think about the cu avana intenso, been meaning to smoke one of these, hope I like it!
  • GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 474
    I can't give any suggestions on what to get, but my .02 are to NOT get a Vegas 5 Gold box. I love that 'gar, but they are on the dailydeal between cigar.com and cigarsinternational.com about once a month, and each time I've seen them on there it's been a better deal than buying a box. Well, Except you don't get the fancy gold bar shaped box from the dailys >.> Lol!

Happy 21st B-day, Buddy! Welcome to the world of (legally) drinking with your 'gars!
    thanks! btw diesel is added to the list, great stick
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    YOu should also check out the segundos section for some good prices on sticks. I love the nub sampler, I would also check out La Aurora's. Great cigars for the money. ANd I just got a box of Sol Cubano cuban cabinets and some 5 vegas limitada's not bad money for those great sticks either.
    ironhorse:
    YOu should also check out the segundos section for some good prices on sticks. I love the nub sampler, I would also check out La Aurora's. Great cigars for the money. ANd I just got a box of Sol Cubano cuban cabinets and some 5 vegas limitada's not bad money for those great sticks either.
    thanks for the suggestions I'll definitely have to check those out!
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    ironhorse:
    You can check out the segundos and see if something peaks your interest. I would recommend calling in and asking for a deal for the 1st though. I was able to get 1st for about 50 cents more a stick for the same cigar....I wanted the bands. I would agree that 5 Vegas are a great stick but you can get them on the cheap everyday. Go with something like the diesel & Nub....house blends aren't a bad way to go either.
    thanks for all the suggestions guys! cank you swear by the gran habano vintage 2002, can you give a review? Im definitely interested in em.. smoked a Cu-Avana Intenso Churchill the other day and it was kind of a dud.. not much flavor. Love the diesel though!!