Home General Discussion

Gotta love kids!

gdsim1gdsim1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 213
Funny thing happened about a half hour ago. My 12 yr old daughter comes into the den and looks like she knows she's in deep kimchee and tells me "Dad, you're gonna be REALLY mad at me." Lose your phone I ask her? No Dad. Your MP3 player? No Dad. "Then whats up?" I ask her

At which point she brings about 10 Padilla Habanos from behind her back and says "I hid these in the china cabinet because I didnt want you to smoke Dad." Well honey, I appreciate your honesty and I love you for it. When did you hide them?"

"About a year ago." LMAOOOOOOOOOO

I figure the sticks are probably shot, but the engineer in me wants to give bringing them back a shot just to see if I can pull it off. So my fellow BOTL's, how does one go about bringing cigars back from the dead? Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• cholmes8310cholmes8310 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,585
    gdsim1:
    Funny thing happened about a half hour ago. My 12 yr old daughter comes into the den and looks like she knows she's in deep kimchee and tells me "Dad, you're gonna be REALLY mad at me." Lose your phone I ask her? No Dad. Your MP3 player? No Dad. "Then whats up?" I ask her

At which point she brings about 10 Padilla Habanos from behind her back and says "I hid these in the china cabinet because I didnt want you to smoke Dad." Well honey, I appreciate your honesty and I love you for it. When did you hide them?"

I figure the sticks are probably shot, but the engineer in me wants to give bringing them back a shot just to see if I can pull it off. So my fellow BOTL's, how does one go about bringing cigars back from the dead? Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated

only thing I know to do is bury them deep in the humi and hope they rehydrate well.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    gdsim1:

No point, they are wasted....I wouldn't suggest sniping anyone with them either lol
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Well, I wouldn't hope for a complete recovery. I would do this. If moisture can get out, it can get in too. But s-l-o-w-l-y is the key. Get a cigar box and place the tainted sticks in it. Get a small sponge or a bunch of water pillows with distilled water, place both item separately, in a large ziplock type bag. leave the bag partially unzipped since you will still want some air exchange. To much moisture to quickly will cause these cigars to burst. No air exchange will cause mold.
    Every few days rotate the sticks. It may take weeks or months be patient. Good luck , I hope I said this in a way that is clear.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Makes ya kinda understand why some animals eat their young doesn't it? haha j/k
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Hahaha, thats funny. All you can do is laugh about stuff like that.
    Good luck bringing them back man.

(note to self: Make sure not to get any Padilla Habanos from gdsim1)
  • pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    gdsim1:
    I figure the sticks are probably shot, but the engineer in me wants to give bringing them back a shot just to see if I can pull it off.

Does the engineer in you want to do my concrete design homework? :-D

• brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    That is too funny, my two boys actually like the smell of cigars when I smoke it's my wife who doesn't like it and would be more likely to hide them.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Make her eat them, as punishment.
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 269
    unless the wrapper is cracked and trashed already, there is still a chance. Put em in a humidor or tupperware and slowly bring up the humidity, either by using different levels of beads or just a very small amount of gel and then keep adding weekly. pray it works. those are good sticks.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    hmmm check the RH in the China cabinet... this could still be a good thing.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    stephen_hannibal:
    Beat me to it. Had one in the house I grew up in and if it was still around I would make it into a cabnet for my sticks. Had an awesome seal.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    stephen_hannibal:
    I like that idea too. You may have some fine aged sticks by acciodent. That would be pretty funny.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 682
    gdsim1:

Are they robustos? There is a guy who would be able to make good use of them, and boast of his manhood in smoking such a potent stick! ;)
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    haha, first of all, I think you may have to accept your punishment for losing track of 10 sticks! That probably means you have too many anyway, but a great story. When I have kids, a lock goes on the humidor thanks to your forewarning.

Is there any sort of timetable on how long a stick can be out of the humidor before its shot? Like in a normal room humidity condition? a week, a month, 2 months?
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    ironhorse:
    haha, first of all, I think you may have to accept your punishment for losing track of 10 sticks! That probably means you have too many anyway, but a great story. When I have kids, a lock goes on the humidor thanks to your forewarning.

Is there any sort of timetable on how long a stick can be out of the humidor before its shot? Like in a normal room humidity condition? a week, a month, 2 months?
    I don't think there is any set time that it would take because there are too many variables that would play into it. For instance the temp and RH in my house varies from the winter to summer months. So the sticks could poss. last longer if the temp & RH are close to what they are stored at. Granted most people don't keep the RH in their houses anywhere close to 67%ish.....With that I would say sticks would start to dry out etc. relatively quickly.
  • gdsim1gdsim1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 213
    Thanks for all the input fellas. Apparently this is one time where slow & steady never lost the race, so I will put them in a container and bring em up over a period of weeks... after I check the china cabinet's humidity level. Excellent idea! Will let everyone know how the Great Padilla Habano Experiment '10 comes out.