Home General Discussion

Leaving for Jamaica very soon!!!

Joel H.Joel H. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 101
Hi all I will be leaving for Jamaica for our honeymoon on thursday and had some questions regarding taking along cigars/lighters/cutters for the trip. How many cigars can be stowed away for the trip? Also what are the rules with cutters and lighters on planes? If anybody has any info on this or a website that explains it that would be appreciated. I cant wait to sit on the beach and burn a few(well more than a few hopefully)

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    As far as what I've heard from others, cutters and lighters are ok in checked baggage, not carry-on, when flying.
  • sosp76sosp76 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Hi Joel!!

Two years ago, I flew from Las Vegas to Dallas (continental airlines) with a little travel humidor (filled with 8 sticks), a double blade cutter and a lighter, everything packed in my checked baggage, without any problems. I think the restrictions are applied only to items inside the passenger cab, not to the checked baggage.

Check this links
    Lighters:
    http://safetravel.dot.gov/which_fly.html

Cutters:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

The short version is, torch lighters and cutters are banned in the passenger area, but are Ok in the checked baggage.

Hope this helps you.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I wouldn't bring an expensive lighter or cutter in your checked luggage due to theft concerns. I would either get a cheapo here or buy an overpriced lighter/cutter down there.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I was down there this past May. Pack your cutter and lighter. If you want, you can pre-cut a few sticks for when you arrive and can't get to your cutter. I also believe you can carry on a bic lighter if need be. As for the sticks, there is no limit on how many you can bring into Jamaica. When you return to the states, you may only bring 25 back (non-cubans) so if you pack 50 and smoke 20, you will have to get rid of 5 (if they catch you). Also, there are these little black bugs there at night. Basically their mosquitos. Pack lots of bug spray. My family got nailed by these things. As for my dad and I who had a cigar lit the entire time, never got touched.
  • The CankThe Cank Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 799
    Hey Joel I just got back from Jamaica and I took 10 cigars with me in a ccom bag with a humi pillow put them in my wifes purse right on top in plain sight. I had absolutely no problems taking them down.... or bringing some "new" ones back
  • poypoykingpoypoyking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    You can bring back 50 cigars per person duty free is what I understood.  When I came back from the Dominican last year I declared 95 cigars (my wife and I) and did not have any problems.

Looking at the government's website I actually do not see a quantity limit at all if you are there over 2 days, only a value limit.  Maybe I am reading something wrong, but here is a link to their website.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/types_of_exemptions.xml
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Joel H.Joel H. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 101
    thanks guys i packed a ccom bag full of goodies along with the new herf a dor i got today from ccom. i packed enough for 2-3 a day so i hope thats enough although im sure i will buy a few there as well.