Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    Today was a somewhat disappointing cigar day, I'm pretty much 0 for 3 on the day. I tried to sit down with a La Aurora second in the Churchill size, but soon found that the draw was way too tight and it tasted like nothing at all, I ended up tossing that one. So, a little later on I grabbed a Legends Red label (Perdomo) only to find that this too had a tighter-than-desirable draw, though the flavor was exceptional. Fast forward a bit, and I had grabbed a Camacho Havana H3 to sample...the wrapper exploded when I snipped it, and it just didn't have a good flavor...not unlike the first H2 I had, and that one took a few months to settle into a nice balance.
    More info on that last one, por favor. How old was the one you sent me?
    The H2 I sent you had about three months or so on it that I can account for. I recall the first one of the H2s I had being very similar, the flavor was so-so, with a note of something I didn't like and then I threw it away...a few months later I tried another and it was fabulous, must just be a settling and balancing factor I guess.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Now I remember you told me before that those needed some rest. My experience is that 3 months certainly gets the job done: the one you sent me was terrific. I probably won't be able to wait that long before trying one of the ones I just got, but I'll give them a good month before lighting one up. We'll see what happens.

I just smoked my first Cusano 18 double maduro, a robusto. On the RRS, it's an Ehhh. Didn't really do much for me. I definitely like the double Connecticut better.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I'm smoking a Titan today. It's been sitting at least 2 months, possibly longer. I mixed up the ones I got two months ago with the ones I got like 6 months ago. I'm trying to smoke some of my Gurkha stash since I have those Royal Salute coming in.

As for the 1495 1994, I may buy another box next month. I've smoked two, the other eight are resting and now I have another 10 coming in. I may give one to a friend, but only one!
    Well, I did it again. I ordered a Mazo of 10 of the Gurkha Grand Age. DAMN ME TO HELL! I really can't order any more for the year, except maybe that La Aurora 1495 1994 next month.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    vankleekkw:
    Scrambler:
    Just lit up my G.A.R., courtesy of Vankleek. I think I'm gonna have to get some more of these.
    How was it? I think that they released a little early, but they have now had an additional 2-3 months on them.
    I just realized that I never came back to answer this. The flavor was great, and there was a lot of it. This was one of the most flavorful cigars I've had. Unfortunately the stick went out a little over half way in and refused to stay lit.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    This afternoon I smoked an Oliva Master Blends III that Dep691 bombed me with in the recent PIF box. This was I believe the Double Robusto, is a box pressed beauty. The Band on this stick is even beautiful ! This burned perfectly start to finish. The draw was also perfect. The flavours from this stick were so well blended it was hard to pick out individual ones. It was almost flowery but that doesn't describe it quite right either. This was one of the most enjoyable sticks I have had yet. THANKS Dep. This was just an incredible cigar and I will be looking to get my hands on more of these babies.
    After a bit of bad luck with a couple cigars today, I finally settled down with one I knew would not disappoint...a La Flor Dominicana Cameroon Cabinet #1. This is just a fantastic cigar, and they seem to be getting better each time I have one.

Between yesterday and today, I'm starting to think there is a force out there similar to karma, I call it cigarma... I must have done something bad to someone and the universe is taking it out on my smoking experience. Yesterday resulted in three failures, today had 2 failures and saw my first bad experience with a Perdomo ESV '91 second. I don't know what I did that was bad, but for the sake of my cigars I've gotta stop doing whatever I did.
    j0z3r:
    Between yesterday and today, I'm starting to think there is a force out there similar to karma, I call it cigarma... I must have done something bad to someone and the universe is taking it out on my smoking experience. Yesterday resulted in three failures, today had 2 failures and saw my first bad experience with a Perdomo ESV '91 second.
    Say it ain't so, Joe! I just ordered a bundle on your say-so.
    j0z3r:
    I don't know what I did that was bad, but for the sake of my cigars I've gotta stop doing whatever I did.
    You probably disagreed with me about something.

I just had a Don Carlos No.3. I love this cigar. I'd like to gay marry it. (Even when a cigar is just a cigar, it's still phallic.)
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    Between yesterday and today, I'm starting to think there is a force out there similar to karma, I call it cigarma... I must have done something bad to someone and the universe is taking it out on my smoking experience. Yesterday resulted in three failures, today had 2 failures and saw my first bad experience with a Perdomo ESV '91 second.
    Say it ain't so, Joe! I just ordered a bundle on your say-so.
    Well, you gotta figure there's a bad one in every lot of cigars, I won't be giving up on this one anytime soon. More than anything, this one just had a super loose draw and ended up with a scorched taste to it, probably my fault. I still stand by these babies as awesome smokes.
    I'm smoking a Gurkha Grand Age Perfecto today and probably a Rocky Patel 500 Torpedo tonight on the way to my gig. Both have been aging for like 3 months. This is my last Grand Age Perfecto until my new order comes in. WOOHOO!

So far the burn is leaving a little to be desired but hey the taste is great!
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Last night I have a Tatuaje Miami and it was an awesome smoke! I've had the Havana IV several times but this was my first Miami. A little sweeter tasting to me and more complex than the Havana. Not sure what I'll be smoking tonight, but tomorrow night is a big Halloween party around a BIG fire so I'll be having several drinks and enjoying a very large La Flor Dominica Double Ligero. Gotta love a big fire and a big smoke!
  • dep691dep691 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311

laker1963:
    This afternoon I smoked an Oliva Master Blends III that Dep691 bombed me with in the recent PIF box. This was I believe the Double Robusto, is a box pressed beauty. The Band on this stick is even beautiful ! This burned perfectly start to finish. The draw was also perfect. The flavours from this stick were so well blended it was hard to pick out individual ones. It was almost flowery but that doesn't describe it quite right either. This was one of the most enjoyable sticks I have had yet. THANKS Dep. This was just an incredible cigar and I will be looking to get my hands on more of these babies.

Glad you enjoyed it, one of my favorites. Found a box of Master Blend II's, cant wait for them to show up.

• laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    dep691:

laker1963:

Glad you enjoyed it, one of my favorites. Found a box of Master Blend II's, cant wait for them to show up.

I read that each of these blends are unique. Have you tried the N0. 2's or the first blends? I don't know what they do to create the No 3's but they sure are doing it Well !

The idea is very interestig and yet it instills a feeling of loss in me already. I have a hard time preparing myself for a situation where something I really grow to like is no longer available.

I think this comes from my other hobby / business. I love coins. Mostly gold coins and when you find a very rare (expensive) coin you eventually have to sell it or you found it for someone else so you have to part with it. Always leaves me with this same feeling of loss I experienced when I read the Master's series were all limited editions and not available again after they run out. :(

Funny, I just realized I felt the same way about the Perdomo Lot 23's and they are also limited. I think I have "limited edition" tastes or something. This sucks !
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Hey Laker, I look at it differently. Do I expect that the greatest cigars I will ever have in my life are currently in existence today? Or do I think that they are yet to come? As these blends retire, new blends come in their place. Things are always changing. Never better, never worse, always different. How exciting is it to know that many more amazing blends of similar limited issue are giong to be released in the future? Might want to save room in the humi for those.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I've been at home deathly ill for the past 2 day and finally felt well enough to pick up a cigar this afternoon. A Cusano C10 Crown Corona. This is one of my faves of late. Nice leather flavor, plenty of spice and body. Tons of smoke!
  • dep691dep691 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 311
    I have the box on the way, the other vendor I use had one box still when I called to inquire about them. I haven't had the chance to try the II's before I purchased it but from what I have learned is it is considered better then the III's. If that is possible.
    If the MB II is better than the MB III, then that is pretty impressive...don't suppose you'd be looking to trade any when you get them?

I just finished up with an Onyx Reserve mini belicoso. Now this, this is what I was expecting from the cigar. That tasty maduro richness, a good depth of flavor and an all-around good smoke. I guess sometimes it just takes a while, these have been in the humi for around 6 months and the time has shown quite an improvement. Now I'm a bit sad that I only have one left.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Graycliff 1666 torpedo.
    zoom6zoom:
    Graycliff 1666 torpedo.
    Mmmmm.
    j0z3r:
    If the MB II is better than the MB III, then that is pretty impressive...don't suppose you'd be looking to trade any when you get them?
    IIRC, Oliva does a small annual re-release of all the MB generations. So there should be some out there, if one can find them.
  • SacNickSacNick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 77
    Indian Tabac - Cameroon (I think it was a cameroon).

This was about a 5 x 60. The 60 ring gauge allowed this to be a nice easy draw.
    This was an OK smoke. It started off mild without much flavor. After the first inch, I could taste oak and nuts. I could almost taste cashews, but not quite. With over 3 inches (maybe four left) it started to get peppery, and soon the pepperiness (is that a word?) was too much and I had to put it out.

Have FUN!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Today I had a Fonseca 550.. This is a pretty tasty every day smoke. Nearly perfect burn, consistently mild, creamy, toasty, and cedary.. it kind of reminds me of the 5 Vegas Classic.. but maybe, a little better. ( Yiikes )
    Yikes, indeed.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    I had an RP 1992 Churchill from the Urby Boffo Sampler. This cigar has to be in my Top 3 of all-time cigars, although after tonight it may be in my Top 1. I love it. My in-laws are in town for a couple days, so I went out to share one with my Father-in-Law, which kind of sucks, because I gave away the other one from the sampler, even though I swore to myself that I wouldn't part with any of those sticks. He absolutely fell in love with this cigar as well, so it was worth it. Thanks, Urby.. this pair of cigars created a very special night for me.
    Always happy to promote family harmony, dood. Glad y'all enjoyed 'em.

I think I'm gonna sneak out and have an Avo Domaine.
    I settled down for a bit with a Gurkha Warlord. The one thing I can say is that I wish they were smaller, that 7x55 size is simply too much for me. After 80 minutes the cigar was not even at the halfway point and I had my fill. Still a good cigar, just not great and not exciting enough for me to spend over 2.5 hours on.
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Think I'm going to finally taste one of the Nubs from the sampler I bought. Maybe the Connecticut 464, or the 466 Cameroon, I don't know which yet.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    The cammie is my favorite.
    Based on Kuzi and Maddy's comments earlier, I lit up the little Nording torpedo thats been hiding in my humi for a couple months. Picked up another at the B&M to stash away, along with the new RP Renaissance.
    For those of you with cold weather issues (it's gotta be in the mid-40s here), I have a recommendation: the Avo Domaine. Aside from being a great cigar, the 2d-hand smoke is so mild I can hold the thing in my mouth without complaint -- all the way down to a nub. You can keep both hands in your pockets.