Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• dtrdwngsdtrdwngs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 74
    I am having a Don Kiki Brown. I don't pretend to have all the info memorized so I just snatched it direct from the sellers website. Before I post it, I will tell you what I think of it. It is made well and draws well. The tastes are changing throughout the smoke. I got some cocoa flavor and some nutty flavor as well. I am really pleased overall with this one. Ok, here what the seller had to say about it. NEW and NOW IN BOXES OF 25 CIGARS - WHOLESALE TOBACCO STORES SPECIAL - Brown Label Limited Reserve Torpedo Cigars by DON KIKI. After aging for 3 years, these premium cigars are finally released for your smoking enjoyment. DON KIKI Limited Reserve Brown Label are the most flavorful Don Kiki cigars to date. These medium to full body cigars are hand made in small batches and in limited quantities with sun grown and extremely aged Cuban-Seed Habano long leaf tobacco from the rich fields of Tabacalera Esteli. The Binder is a rich Corojo and the Wrapper is a super premium rich and rare sun-grown Cuban-Seed Criollo. This combination of all Cuban Seed tobacco from Tabacalera Esteli produces lots of delightful smoke and flavor. Cohiba was what the natives in Cuba called great smoking tobacco. Don Kiki carefully blended these premium cigars with the best Cohiba from Tabacalera Esteli to provide an exquisite taste and smoking experience. Every Torpedo cigar is individually handcrafted to his strict high standards and under his supervision. The Torpedo cigars are 6” long with a large ring gauge of 54. They have a typical tapered head. The hand-packed Cedar box contains 25 premium cigars. DON KIKI Limited Reserve Brown Label boutique premium cigar provides a powerhouse of flavors. Six years in the making, the leaves are skillfully cured by artisans and then aged for at least three years before they are individually chosen based on their fine qualities and hand crafted into cigars by skilled master cigar rollers. These fine premium cigars are then aged for an additional 3 years in Tabacalera Esteli’s temperature and humidity controlled aging room before being hand packed in Cedar boxes. They are fully backed by the exclusive Cuban Crafters Cigars Full Satisfaction Guarantee. MEDIUM TO FULL BODIED CIGARS. Their superior taste is well balanced and complex with some floral licorice & spices. It has earthy undertones of toasted nuts. It finishes with a cocoa blast.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Aaahhhhhh.... having a little celebration with my first Davidoff...
    Millenium Blend... gorgeous
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Lasabar:
    I've had one of these bad boys resting for the past two months. So this is something I should be looking forward to?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Tried something a little different today, a cigar called La Diferencia Cubana. This is a real budget cigar that I picked up on special from an unnamed source (many of us like their Legends line) for $.99 a stick, that's right less than a dollar. And I must say it's not bad....it's not great either, but hell, for a dollar you really can't do much better. A decent stick overall.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Had a Camacho 62 Churchill on the golfcourse today. Just finished a RP Olde World Reserve Corojo Toro. Both were excellent
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I had a weird experience tonight. I was in my truck and realized I never finished smoking the Indian Tabac that I started last week. I had it in a glass tube that the Gurkha LXIII Platinum comes in. It is air tight. The cigar was still moist but somehow it absorbed some of the Cognac fromthe tube. I must say it was interesting to say the least. Not as much cognac flavor as the Platinum but there were hints and it wasn't bad at all.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    sdip:
    Had a Camacho 62 Churchill on the golfcourse today. Just finished a RP Olde World Reserve Corojo Toro. Both were excellent
    The local B&M is having a Camacho event next month. I'm definitely gonna try to get to that one.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    Sitting on the porch, enjoying the perfect weather with a big glass of Chilean Merlot while my girlfriend cooks dinner. I generally love wines from Chile, and this one is no exception.

For after dinner, I picked out a Perdomo Lot 23 torpedo that j0z3r sent me about 6 weeks ago.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Tried something a little different today, a cigar called La Diferencia Cubana.
    Glad to hear you liked them, I have a box of the Torpedos showing up today. And a box of Coppers.. and more Obsidians... and...
    zoom6zoom:
    Tried something a little different today, a cigar called La Diferencia Cubana.
    Glad to hear you liked them, I have a box of the Torpedos showing up today. And a box of Coppers.. and more Obsidians... and...
    I went for the robustos myself, but that's besides the point. The diferencia was pretty decent IMO and I'm not disappointed in dropping $20 to try something new and finding it to be worthwhile.

I just finished up with a La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994 courtesy of our friend Scrambler. I've only one word for this cigar: Phenomenal. I found myself lost in time for 75 minutes with this little guy. Certainly one of the highlights of my cigar smoking career thus far. Many thanks Scramblin' man.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Luko:
    Lasabar:
    I've had one of these bad boys resting for the past two months. So this is something I should be looking forward to?
    Well I was not paying that much attention for I smoked it at the B&M and was looking at there warez... but damn was it's nice
    j0z3r:
    Certainly one of the highlights of my cigar smoking career thus far. Many thanks Scramblin' man.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Quite the opposite of the Perdomo Lot 23, it sounds like you had a better experence with this one than I did. I've only smoked one, and it was ok, but didn't grab me. You're the 3rd person I've given one to that loved it though, so I need to pull another one out and try it. I figured the problem had to just be that I was distracted, so I bought another box that'll stay sealed for quite a while, but I've got a handful loose.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Well I'm about to get off work and enjoy my 3 days off! I think I'll start it off with a La Flor Dominica Double Ligero tomorrow evening on the balcony. I'll try to get on here and let everyone know how that goes for me!
  • LCarLCar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 57
    Its looking like I will have a 5 Vegas Gold churchill today...either that or my RP vintage 1992...but I think I'll save my RP for the weekend. I had a RP conneticut a while ago and I didnt care for it much, so hopefully the vintage will be a little better.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Last night I had my first La Herencia Cubana Lonsdale. My hopes were very high, as everything I've had to date with an EcSu wrapper has received my highest rating. This did not reach those lofty heights. It was a good cigar, but more along the lines of a 5 Vegas Classic or an H Upmann - something I would definitely enjoy again, but not something I would crave.

Honestly, this ties in pretty well with the conversation I had with Tim in the Verdadero thread. This cigar tasted very similar to the cigars I've had with an Indonesian Sumatra wrapper (by the description), and not like the Ecuadorian Sumatra cigars I've had. I believe the information I've documented (in my spreadsheets, naturally) is accurate -- that is to say, the 5 Vegas is an Indonesian Sumatra wrapper. And I would almost bet that this is the same.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Tried my first Legends Copper label today. The first thing that hit me was that the cap tastes like it was soaked in Sweet-n-Low. Very distracting and not one of my favorite flavors. The second distraction was the tab on the bottom of the band kept catching on my finger, so off came the band, which I usually leave on.

After the first inch or so the cap taste mostly wore off- but the taste was still on my lips and didn't seem to want to scrub off. I think the next one I smoke is going to get a rolling paper wrapped around the head (cigar condom?). Discounting the sweetener, I overall liked this smoke. As you're probably aware, the Natural Root is one of my current favorites, this compares in flavor. Nice creamy mocha and coffee, lots of thick smoke. It's also supposed to be very similar to the Drew Java, which is still on my wish list, I haven't had any of those yet.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Actually my favorite size in the Camacho 62 is the perfecto.
    I have a ton of new smokes from j0z3r that I can't wait to get into, but I'll be trying the new Macanudo tonight at B&M event. I'll let you all know what I think of it later.
    sdip:
    Actually my favorite size in the Camacho 62 is the perfecto.
    Me, too. I have the other sizes and haven't tried all of them yet, but I did try the churchill the other night and didn't like it as well as the perfecto.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Scrambler:
    j0z3r:
    Certainly one of the highlights of my cigar smoking career thus far. Many thanks Scramblin' man.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Quite the opposite of the Perdomo Lot 23, it sounds like you had a better experence with this one than I did. I've only smoked one, and it was ok, but didn't grab me. You're the 3rd person I've given one to that loved it though, so I need to pull another one out and try it. I figured the problem had to just be that I was distracted, so I bought another box that'll stay sealed for quite a while, but I've got a handful loose.
    Hey Scrambler, I have one of your 1495/1994 in my humidor and have wanted to try it several times, but that cigar just looks so great, I don't want to burn it. Now that I am thinking about it, I feel it is soon be be smoke ! I shall let 'ya know. Thanks in advance.
    Don't do it, kas. It'll just break your heart, what with la Aurora discontinuing them. You better just send it to me. My heart's already broken.
    LCar:
    Its looking like I will have a 5 Vegas Gold churchill today...either that or my RP vintage 1992...but I think I'll save my RP for the weekend. I had a RP conneticut a while ago and I didnt care for it much, so hopefully the vintage will be a little better.
    Hey LCar, I love the Patel '92.. I is one of my absolute favorites. And I enjoy many, many of RP's other cigars. But, not the Connecticut. It is the only Patel that I have no desire to try again. I know the Vintage will be a better experience.
    urbino:
    Don't do it, kas. It'll just break your heart, what with la Aurora discontinuing them. You better just send it to me. My heart's already broken.
    Oh no !! What shall I do.. That's not the first time I fell in love and lost. This truely makes for a difficult decision...Are they out of stock at all sources ? I bet I can find them somewhere..
    My understanding is they have stopped (or are about to stop) making them.
    kaspera79:
    urbino:
    Oh no !! What shall I do.. That's not the first time I fell in love and lost. This truely makes for a difficult decision...Are they out of stock at all sources ? I bet I can find them somewhere..
    Last I checked you can still buy them at ccom.

I just finished up with an Alec Bradley Ovation cameroon in the toro size. It was good, gave me a bit of trouble when it tunneled around the mid-way point, but that was more from me neglecting it. This is a nice looking cigar, dark, oily cammy wrapper, heavy in the hand too...it feels like a tool. Draw is perfect, ample amounts of smoke. Me likey.
    kaspera79:
    urbino:
    Kas, I'll be interested to get your take on it.

They only made one batch, using all the wrapper leaves so when they're gone, they're gone. They are still readily available, for now. I just bid on 3 more five packs.
    I will give that little guy a small fire on Friday and see how it is.. I saw that bid, Pretty good deal for these cigars based on Regular price. How long do you have to wait before you know if you win this one ?
    I don't think you'll be disappointed Kas.

I kinda capped off the night with a Greycliff 1666 that I received as part of a free sampler, it was ok for about the first half, then it just got bitter and started throwing off flavors that struck me as nasty... needless to say, I pitched it after a couple minutes of hoping it would even out and be decent. Hopefully the one I got from Scrambler a while back treats me better when I decide to give the 1666 another shot.
  • earthdragonearthdragon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    I just had tonight what I think so far in my short cigar smoking experience is my favorite: An El Credito. It was a robusto with a dark wrapper, with a boxy circumference. I don't know much more except I haven't been able to find its particular band on the 'net. All other El Credito bands are simple two color designs with circular or sun graphics. What you see below is much different. Perhaps the bands don't always tell the full name or variety of each stick? I'd only asked for a recommendation on a top-shelf cigar, assuming I could review the exact variety later via the band...

Smooth and tasty. My palate isn't developed enough to tell you more, but it was indeed fantastic.

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I smoked a Sol Cubano Sumatra last night. Liked it a lot. Burn was off a little in the beginning but fixed itself. I probably messed it up when lighting it. I am smoking a Rocky Patel Olde World today. Not sure which one it is. It has the brown label, not the yellow label. So far, it is ok. A little spicy. I liked the Sol Cubano better.