Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    So my smoking woes started on Friday. I started with a Camacho Triple Maduro Torpedo that I have had for way over a year. I would guess that I have had it for almost a year and a half. This one had a hard time burning and the smoke that was produced smelled like the smoke you get from putting a cigar out by smashing it. It was strong and a little bitter and the burn was killing me. I kept having to relight the cigar. Even after a relight that smell as there!!!! THis has been in approx 67% for months and months. Next up was a Partagas Black from the cotm club 6 months ago. It was like a Robusto but a little thicker. I forget the exact size. This was much better but the draw was tight and the burn was better but not great. At this point, I gave up because as it got closer to the end I had to keep relighting.

Saturday I had a 5 Vegas Miami from the cotm club that the Partagas was in. This was my second 5 Vegas Miami and I liked this one. The first one I did not like. The burn required some touchups but nowhere near as much as the last few.

Yesteday I lit up a Perdomo Habana from the same cotm package as the last two. This one also had burn issues. No matter how much I corrected the burn it still burnt down one side more than the other and a good amount too. I had to fix too many times and relight. It became an issue and was taking away from the experience.

So, needless to say I had a rough weekend of smoking. I don't know the deal is but I hope this doesn't continue.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    I will be enjoying a Gurkha Regent Toro that's had a couple months rest in the humi...... It's about 45 degrees here in Chicago, hopefully the cigar hols up.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Had a Gurkha Blue Steel... A little rest has done these well.
    The cigar was phenomenal.

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    j0z3r:
    Diamondog:
    urbino:
    You must like those pretty well, DD. I think I remember you lit one up just a day or two ago.
    Love the stick, one of my all time faves, only have 2 left :(
    Hey DD, I've got a nearly full box of the Cien Años belicosos. Let me know if you'd want some and I'm sure we can broker a trade of some kind.
    Sounds good, I will fire you a PM tonight with what I have...
  • HockeyphanHockeyphan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    Padron 1964 anniversary Imperial . Broke out a good one tonight as the kids are at a friends house and the wife is out shopping.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Today's line up: Casa Fuego, RP Puro Cubano, Oliva Series O, Don Kiki Brown Label
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Hockeyphan:
    Padron 1964 anniversary Imperial . Broke out a good one tonight as the kids are at a friends house and the wife is out shopping.
    That sounds like a winner. I believe I'll have one of those after dinner . . . in the unbelievably nice, still almost 70 degree weather we're having today.
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    Just finished my last Cuban Classic Corona, love that cigar, this is most def my favorite size, dam I always hate smoking the last one. time to find some more :)
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    urbino:
    Hockeyphan:
    That sounds like a winner. I believe I'll have one of those after dinner . . . in the unbelievably nice, still almost 70 degree weather we're having today.
    yummy. I have a half a box of the 1964 Maduro Exclusivos coming as my birthday present from the wife this month. Can't wait!

I smoked two yesterday: started with a LHC Oscuro Fuerte - very nice smoke. And ended with a 262 Paradigm robusto - wonderful as well. Man I love that 262. Need more...
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Oliva Serie O Robusto. I keep reading about all this warm weather some of you SOB's (I mean BOTL. . . no I don't, I'm jealous) are enjoying so I decided it was my turn. It was about 38 out so I guess it wasn't that bad.
    Had a 5 Vegas Gold
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    Having a JJ Maduro right, mmmmm good.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    CAO La Traviotta for lunch, and a RP Decade on the ride home.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Had a Diesel on the ride home... meh, not as good as I'd thought it would be.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    First up a Sol Cubano Connecticut torpedo, I really like this cigar, definitely one of my top 10 Connecticuts. Next up was a La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Miami corona gorda courtesy of urby, I've got to say I expected a little more from it, the flavors were good but the cigar itself was a bit harsh, the other one is going to nap for a while. Finally I finished up with a Drew Estates Liga Privada T52 robusto, after a shaky start which presented with a very loose draw and horridly bitter flavors, the cigar balanced out and the draw tightened up to give a very flavorful and very spicy full bodied experience...it seemed medium-full until the last couple inches when I started to get that feeling in the pit of my stomach, the one that says quit what you're doing or I'm gonna blow.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I picked up a T52 a few weeks ago - lookin forward to it, though I hope mine doesn't start out likes your did. :)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    TatuajeVI:
    I picked up a T52 a few weeks ago - lookin forward to it, though I hope mine doesn't start out likes your did. :)
    I think it may have been my fault, I might have hit it a little too hard with the torch...it was a bit windy and I'm still getting used to this double torch lighter. Heck of a cigar though, if you like rich and spicy you ought to like this one.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Smoking a Prensado Corona right now, this is my favorite size for these so far. Damn good stick, especially if you like the Tempus.
    I had a Padron 1964 last night. Gorgeous night. Slightly disappointing cigar. It just didn't have the flavor I'm used to from this cigar. OTOH, that could be because I have a bit of a cold.
    j0z3r:
    Next up was a La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Miami corona gorda courtesy of urby, I've got to say I expected a little more from it, the flavors were good but the cigar itself was a bit harsh, the other one is going to nap for a while.
    Sorry to hear that, Joe. I haven't tried one, yet. Given your experience, I think I'll leave 'em be a while longer.
    j0z3r:
    Finally I finished up with a Drew Estates Liga Privada T52 robusto, after a shaky start which presented with a very loose draw and horridly bitter flavors, the cigar balanced out and the draw tightened up to give a very flavorful and very spicy full bodied experience...it seemed medium-full until the last couple inches when I started to get that feeling in the pit of my stomach, the one that says quit what you're doing or I'm gonna blow.
    Durn. Sorry to hear that one, too, because I've got a couple of those resting.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    I have enjoyed a beautiful Georgia Spring day today. I was off work, so I atttended the C4 lunch herf at Baileys. They opened up the patio for us, and we drug the leather sofas outside. I had a Padilla Habano to get things rolling. After eating lunch, I had a Don Pepin JJ. One of the guys in attendance passed out H. Upmann series Sevens? It is cedar wrapped, and the label says level 7 master craftsmen. Has anybody heard of these?
    Had a 5 Vegas Limitada 2008, liked it much better than the first I had a week or 2 ago although the first 2/3's smoked very well then I started to have burn problems, started tunneling, tried to recover it but was too annoying....
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    Looks like I'm the lucky one today! Had a Vintage Rocky Patel 1990 torpedo that was fantastic!! Great draw and burn and the afternoon was sunny and warm. I love watching the snow melt :)

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Today's line up: RP Puro Cubano, IT SF Maduro, Don Kiki Brown Label, Casa Fuego
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    urbino:
    I had a Padron 1964 last night. Gorgeous night. Slightly disappointing cigar. It just didn't have the flavor I'm used to from this cigar. OTOH, that could be because I have a bit of a cold.
    j0z3r:
    Next up was a La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Miami corona gorda courtesy of urby, I've got to say I expected a little more from it, the flavors were good but the cigar itself was a bit harsh, the other one is going to nap for a while.
    Sorry to hear that, Joe. I haven't tried one, yet. Given your experience, I think I'll leave 'em be a while longer.
    j0z3r:
    Finally I finished up with a Drew Estates Liga Privada T52 robusto, after a shaky start which presented with a very loose draw and horridly bitter flavors, the cigar balanced out and the draw tightened up to give a very flavorful and very spicy full bodied experience...it seemed medium-full until the last couple inches when I started to get that feeling in the pit of my stomach, the one that says quit what you're doing or I'm gonna blow.
    Durn. Sorry to hear that one, too, because I've got a couple of those resting.
    Urbs, what do you think of the 26 maduro 80th?

I think the 52's need some down time. I've only had 1 from my shop and I thought it tasted way too young. Though I've never had a bad #9.
    I've never had the 80th maduro, Feebs. Maduros just aren't high enough on my list that I've been willing to drop that kind of money on one.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Yesterday was a LADC EE and a Gran Habano 3 Siglos. Today was a RP OSG
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    cabinetmaker:
    Started off with an A. Fernandez sig. Maduro. Then, later had an Arturo Fuente Anejo #55, nice 2+ hour smoke. DPG Invicta, also very nice. Not sure whats next.

How is the A Fernandez Sig Maduro? I was gonna PU a box when they were on sale a while ago.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    urbino:
    I've never had the 80th maduro, Feebs. Maduros just aren't high enough on my list that I've been willing to drop that kind of money on one.
    Ah, well as a person who wasn't much a fan of the 64 or 26 natural, I really did enjoy the 80th maduro. Also I think it was laker who sent me a 64 maduro which I thought was mighty tasty, though the thing was a short smoke. I hope your next 64 is much better than this one was. (I don't blame you though the 80ths are spendy).
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    cabinetmaker:
    Started off with an A. Fernandez sig. Maduro. Then, later had an Arturo Fuente Anejo #55, nice 2+ hour smoke. DPG Invicta, also very nice. Not sure whats next.
    The 55 is one of my favorites. I hooked my friend up with some too. We split a box and he and his brother keep smoking them. I think I gave him 12 and he said that he only has 4 left. He was supposed to age his. I haven't had any of mine. Still have some left from my last purchase back in 2008.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    today i had a Don Pepin Garcia.