Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Had a Padron 1964....stellar as per usual....bitersweet time of year for me....I don't smoke inside or really go anywhere to smoke inside and it has as of tonight become too cold to fully enjoy so everything is getting put to sleep for 5 months until the spring.....
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I rocked the Nub Habano tonight. this was my first nub. I was truly impressed. over an hour smoke, perfect burn, perfect flavor that didn't change much over the entire smoke which is what they say they are supposed to do. i never lost ash until i was done. This moves to the top 5 for sure. I would like to try a Nub Maduro
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    In the middle of a quite blissful AB Tempus Quadrum right now. All is well with the world.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Today I started with a Partagas Serie D #4 which is a pretty good cigar, though this one showed its youth being boxed in August of this year...still very good for only habing 3 months of box time on it. Later was a Bolivar LE 2009 Petite Belicoso, another young one but very tasty and well balanced despite that, probably due to the fact that the wrapper, binder and filler are all aged 2 years...I can see this one being very good come this time next year.
  • nickgonzonickgonzo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    Had my first diesel and it was interesting to say the least. Gonna let the rest sleep for a long time.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    My afternoon smoke today was a Perdomo estate vintage 1991 conny wrapper. It was good, burned perfect, great draw, a tasty mild/medium stick. Tonight was a ITC super fuente belicoso. It needed a few touch ups, but I really liked this stick. Great draw, great construction, and a very tasty stick IMO. I'm glad I have more getting some rest :^)
  • BStayerBStayer Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 318
    dennisking:
    I rocked the Nub Habano tonight. this was my first nub. I was truly impressed. over an hour smoke, perfect burn, perfect flavor that didn't change much over the entire smoke which is what they say they are supposed to do. i never lost ash until i was done. This moves to the top 5 for sure. I would like to try a Nub Maduro
    I had someone tell me the other night that these only burned for about 30 minutes , no matter what size, and that they weren't very good. After reading this, I might have to reconsider his recommendation.
  • j667firej667fire Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14
    Had a Tabak Especial this morning driving to work with a thermos of good coffee. Sure was nice and burned for an hour. Really added to the coffee nice.
  • johnnyvjohnnyv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16

I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong or not because I keep posting and my post doesn't show up???

Anyway, this morning I smoked an AVO #2 with my morning coffee which was very good and will fit nicely in the #3 slot for morning smokes with my coffee.  The other 2 being the RP Autumn 2008 and the 5 Vegas Gold.

Today after lunch I enjoyed the heck out of a Camacho 1962.  I've really gotten into Camachos lately mostly because I've become a FULL bodied and FULL flavored man, even though I don't know the difference!

Being a full flavored guy I'll be hitting a DPG Blue tonight and maybe a Camacho Corojo.  I've only been into cigars for about 6 months now so I'm still experimenting with everything.  If anyone has some real good FULL suggestions I'd appreciate it.  I'm looking for something outside of what I've already had which are:

DPG Blue, Diesel, MOW Ruination, Padilla Miami, Cain, Camacho Corojo, San Cristobal, 5 Vegas Cask Strength, 5 Vegas Miami...all were very good I just enjoy the search.

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    johnnyv:

I'm not sure if I'm doing this wrong or not because I keep posting and my post doesn't show up???

Anyway, this morning I smoked an AVO #2 with my morning coffee which was very good and will fit nicely in the #3 slot for morning smokes with my coffee.  The other 2 being the RP Autumn 2008 and the 5 Vegas Gold.

Today after lunch I enjoyed the heck out of a Camacho 1962.  I've really gotten into Camachos lately mostly because I've become a FULL bodied and FULL flavored man, even though I don't know the difference!

Being a full flavored guy I'll be hitting a DPG Blue tonight and maybe a Camacho Corojo.  I've only been into cigars for about 6 months now so I'm still experimenting with everything.  If anyone has some real good FULL suggestions I'd appreciate it.  I'm looking for something outside of what I've already had which are:

DPG Blue, Diesel, MOW Ruination, Padilla Miami, Cain, Camacho Corojo, San Cristobal, 5 Vegas Cask Strength, 5 Vegas Miami...all were very good I just enjoy the search.

OpusX. Try one or two of those. Also, I hear but have no experience with them that the Oliveros XL Bold is pretty strong. The Cu-Avana Intenso is strong but not too bad.
    Thanks for the tips.  I'll get all over that.  I've heard a lot about the OPUS X, all good stuff.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    BStayer:
    dennisking:
    I had someone tell me the other night that these only burned for about 30 minutes , no matter what size, and that they weren't very good. After reading this, I might have to reconsider his recommendation.
    Yeah, I've never had one go under an hour. And they're VERY good! Give them a try.

I'm giving the Carlos Torano Dominico that I got from stephen_hannibal a try. So far, so good. The burns a little uneven, but it's not too bad. It's pretty flavorful, a nice chocolatey nuance. I'm pretty satisfied, but I'm not too far in, so hopefully everything goes well.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    Liga Privada 9 right from J.D. at local event
    Started with a Diesel this afternoon, it's a good smoke but honestly I'm not as thrilled with it as some are...for the price, yeah it's a great value, but for my tastes it's not one I'd be likely to grab very often. Later was a Tatuaje Havana VI corona gorda, good smoke despite the wrapper being in tatters. I finished off the day with a Fuente Añejo Shark...I really don't get the hype behind this line, it was decent but for the money I won't be buying any...like most Fuentes, it just doesn't appeal to my tastes.
    really, I had an Anejo that rested about a year. it is in my top 5 for sure. great smoke.
    different strokes for different folks
    dennisking:
    Indeed. Or in this case, different smokes for different folks.
    j0z3r:
    dennisking:
    very good sir.
    remember different strokes the tv show
    dennisking:
    j0z3r:
    dennisking:
    very good sir.
    remember different strokes the tv show
    lol. I remember seeing reruns of it...I missed the original airing by more than a few years.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 458
    I have been getting off work so late recently I haven't had anything in a while.....sigh...

Although the holiday this weekend looks promising......
    I've got a serious crisis going on here.  I'm smoking a Diesel and it tastes extremely bitter.  For the past 3 days nothing has tasted right to me regardless of time of day or strength of cigar. Clearly my palate is betraying me but I have no idea why.  Has this ever happened to anyone else out there?  Any remedies?
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    johnnyv:
    I've got a serious crisis going on here.  I'm smoking a Diesel and it tastes extremely bitter.  For the past 3 days nothing has tasted right to me regardless of time of day or strength of cigar. Clearly my palate is betraying me but I have no idea why.  Has this ever happened to anyone else out there?  Any remedies?
    I actually have had this happen to me before on a RP Vintage '90 a couple weeks ago. I was very wierded out by it but my next cigar tasted fine. I was recovering from a cold and I thought it was because I was still kinda sick.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Well I haven't had anything for the past few days because I've been working, but I have my one day off tomorrow so that is when the wife and kid and I are doing our turkey day dinner, and I plan on having a smoke afterwards. Not sure what yet, but has to be one of my favorites.
    johnnyv:
    That's really weird, I smoked a deisel sraight out of the mail and it was great even then. With a few weeks of rest it just got better. Are you getting sick maybe? Hope things get better for you.
    This afternoon I had my second CAO gold (2002). It was way better than the first having a few weeks of rest. It was a decent mild smoke, good burn, but nothing exciting. Tonight I tried a RP connecticut. I liked it quite a bit, it was very obviously a RP by the flavors. Kind of like a slightly milder version of a royal vintage. It was a torp that burned nice and even, mild spice, kinda sweet, an all round good smoke IMO.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Duder2:
    This afternoon I had my second CAO gold (2002). It was way better than the first having a few weeks of rest. It was a decent mild smoke, good burn, but nothing exciting. Tonight I tried a RP connecticut. I liked it quite a bit, it was very obviously a RP by the flavors. Kind of like a slightly milder version of a royal vintage. It was a torp that burned nice and even, mild spice, kinda sweet, an all round good smoke IMO.
    I love smoking those with my morning coffee, pairs very nicely.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I had a Alec Bradly Tempus last night, very good cigar. It was better than my first one I had at the beach back in late summer.
    j0z3r:
    Started with a Diesel this afternoon, it's a good smoke but honestly I'm not as thrilled with it as some are...for the price, yeah it's a great value, but for my tastes it's not one I'd be likely to grab very often. Later was a Tatuaje Havana VI corona gorda, good smoke despite the wrapper being in tatters. I finished off the day with a Fuente Añejo Shark...I really don't get the hype behind this line, it was decent but for the money I won't be buying any...like most Fuentes, it just doesn't appeal to my tastes.
    Joe, I have had one Shark and was not impressed with it however I really like the torpedo. I don't know what it is but the torpedo tastes much different at least to me.
    I have three lined up for tonight but I am not sure how many I will gt to. I figured I would start with a 3 year and one month old Padron 1964 Torpedo. I got this in Miami back in October 2006. It is my last one. Then, I brought an OpusX (toro size) for my second cigar. This one has at least a year on it but I'm guess it is more like 14 - 15 months. I wanna know what the resting time has done to it. And and and, if I have time I brought a Forum Blend Maduro too to see how the few months of age have affected this cigar.
    my suggestion is to smoke the Opus X first, with a fresh palate. it's a great smoke.
    dennisking:
    my suggestion is to smoke the Opus X first, with a fresh palate. it's a great smoke.
    I thought about that but the Opux is stronger than the Padron and I want to be able to taste both.