Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Haven't smoked in over 3 weeks, so decided to bust out a favorite of mine, a Nub Cammy. I blame my long smoke break to school, stress and life in general ramping up.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    gmill880:
    I wonder about the La Aurora 1495 seconds ...anyone had those yet? The 1495 is an awsome smoke and I'm always keeping these on hand. Wish someone would find some 1495/1994's stashed in a warehouse somewhere and offer 'em up....well its nice to dream...
    1495 second you say? I'd be all over that like flies on sh!t if they have the same construction quality as the firsts. Man that's a good smoke.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Garen B:
    Haven't smoked in over 3 weeks, so decided to bust out a favorite of mine, a Nub Cammy. I blame my long smoke break to school, stress and life in general ramping up.
    good choice btw!
  • Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    phobicsquirrel:
    Garen B:
    good choice btw!
    Finished it up about a half hour ago, a little bit of age really makes that stick a pleasure to smoke. Still impressed with the draw I get out of those Nubs.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Ahhh, finally a break! I have a whooole week off and man do i need to catch up on smoking. And to kick it off, a Punch Rare Corojo. Got 4 of these from Gene and plan to smoke them t 3 month intervals since they are reputed to age well. Second was my last CI Orange label. Always a good smoke. Finished off with a Nub Cameroon. My first one and i was properly impressed!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Garen B:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Garen B:
    good choice btw!
    Finished it up about a half hour ago, a little bit of age really makes that stick a pleasure to smoke. Still impressed with the draw I get out of those Nubs.
    I haven't had any from my box yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I've only had a couple that I smoked right after getting.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Seems like there's been a lot of chatter lately about the SC Cuban Cabinet, so I had to try it...churchill...ok, I'm hooked. This thing had a perfect burn and draw, with lots and lots of smoke and a nice white ash. Packed a nice punch with tons of flavor. More please.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    I had my first Rocky Patel tonight, a vintage 1990 robusto that was fantastic. I posted my review up on a little project I'm working on: BANFAN, or by a newbie for a newbie. It's sort of to help me log my tastes, and also help people new to smoking, like myself.
    Luko:
    Seems like there's been a lot of chatter lately about the SC Cuban Cabinet, so I had to try it...churchill...ok, I'm hooked. This thing had a perfect burn and draw, with lots and lots of smoke and a nice white ash. Packed a nice punch with tons of flavor. More please.
    It's an awesome cigar, had a robusto this morning myself. I can see the SC CC being a regular in my rotation.
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I had a Bahia Blu Toro. Not a top choice so I will explain. I assumed on a Sunday night that I would go outside around 8pm with a cigar, drink, and newspaper. Out of the blue, my wife invited 10 people over for a cookout. Since I was going to be manning the grill for and hour or so, I didn't want to take out anything special since the hickory smoke would probably over power any cigar flavor. Hence the choice for the Bahia Blu that I got in a sampler I picked up a few months ago. All I have to say is WOW!! For a $1.50 a stick and you get all that? I need to get a box of these just to pass out to my friends that don't buy and to have them on hand to cut grass and situations like I explained.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    I started the day w an AVO XO tubo - great smoke!  This afternoon was a La Cuna Bin 85 which was also quite good. Finished the night with a Limitada 08. This one was much better than the first one I tried a couple of months ago. Burn was excellent and full of flavor.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    j0z3r:
    Luko:
    It's an awesome cigar, had a robusto this morning myself. I can see the SC CC being a regular in my rotation.
    Me too...I still have so many left to try, but there's a few that are becoming somewhat regular in my humi (I still just get singles or maybe buy a three-pack). I also was a big fan of the DP cuban classic and so that's making an encore apperance. And pretty much anything RP, especially the vintages, edge, decade, have had plenty of those. I still have yet to try the OWR, but I have on resting.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Got in a coupla smokes today...first was a Don Carlos #3 , what can you say. A damn fine smoke and a favorite of mine. Second one was tonight an was a Man O War Robusto, my first , very impressive . Minor burn issue but no biggie. I really enjoyed the flavor of this one and may take a look at some of the specials ...
    On a side note I picked up one of the Wal-Mart Hygro's a couple of you guys were talking about. Seems to work great with just popping in a battery and putting in Humi. Reads 69 degrees and 68 RH after about 8 hours in there. The package says nothing about testing these so are they accurate straight from the store? Not a bad price at about $7.00 ...
    Had a few myself today. Started with a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet robusto. A little later was a Fuente Hemingway Short Story which was pretty dang good. After that was a RP Edge corojo second robusto, it was ok, I like the maduro better. To finish things off I had an Alec Bradley Tempus robusto, another really good smoke.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Smoking a Padilla Obsidian with a little over 7 months on it, and the age shows. Excellent stick, best one of these I've had yet.

btw...I am posting here via my Gameboy....I am still amazed at this thing.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Last night I had a Fuente Hemingway Classic with about 7-8 months on it and it was a great smoke as always. Tonight was an ITC 10th Churchill. Another damn good smoke. This one was better than the first by far. I think the extra couple months did it a lot of good. Perfect burn and draw. No issues at all with this stick. I still like the Decade better, but the ITC is a pretty damn good cigar.
  • hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 123
    I had a Brazilian Label churchill. It was great until I dropped it about 2/3rds the way through it and the wrapper ripped off. CK
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    PuroFreak:
    I still like the Decade better, but the ITC is a pretty damn good cigar.
    I like the Decade better too, but until they have seconds of them, there will be alot more of the ITC's in my humi than the Decades.

Just finished up a La Herencia Cubana robusto. Good cigar, not completely to my taste, but you can't fault the cigar for that. If you are in the mood for a cuban-esque cigar (think Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet), this would really hit the spot.
    gmill880:
    On a side note I picked up one of the Wal-Mart Hygro's a couple of you guys were talking about. Seems to work great with just popping in a battery and putting in Humi. Reads 69 degrees and 68 RH after about 8 hours in there. The package says nothing about testing these so are they accurate straight from the store? Not a bad price at about $7.00 ...

Bump-anybody?
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    Mine was 6% low, one guy on CP had one that was off by 11%. I've heard of them being spot-on from the store but I would still salt test it to be sure.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Marshallrocks80:
    Today's my birthday, so I broke out the God of Fire that I've had resting since january. It was good, but not $26 good. I'm not sure why they are so stinking expensive! I've had better smokes that are much cheaper.
    Well, for one it is because they are special editions or "limited editions". They also make a big profit on them and donate that profit to the Cigar Family Charitable Foundation. I am OK with that part of it but I agree they are definately pricey and not worth the expense but they are not terrible either. Now, if they were terrible for $26, I would have shot someone.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Finished up last night with a RP Fusion MM Lancero. My first lancero. Definatley changes the flavors of a blend but i'm still not a fan of the MM blend. This morning(after 4 scrambled eggs and 1/2 pound of bacon, thank you jesus) was a Bolivar Cofraida. Good smoke, extremely light, the original bolivars have more flavor but this one isnt bad, especially for a morning smoke.
    Friday at lunch I had a ccom Cuban Label robusto thanks to our friend Phoebes. Friday night I had an Ashton classic that I have had for a few months. Saturday was a CI White label again courtesy of Phoebes. This was my first CI Legends. I see that it is supposed to be more full bodied but I found it to be really mild. Sunday, I started with a Gurkha Grand Envoy. Sunday night was a ccom Brazilian Label robusto. This is without a doubt my favorite ccom label cigar and in reality the only one I would keep in my regular rotation.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    Tried out the Padilla 2006 Obsidian, and it was sort of 'eh for me. It had good moments, and bad moments, had a lot of burn issues, but overall, I think I'll pass on this one.
  • DanWyskochilDanWyskochil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4
    Hi all! I'm new to the forums and to the world of cigars as well! I've been lucky enough to have kaspera79 showing me the ropes and providing me with my first sticks, so big thanks to him!

Fun coincidence as I tried out the Padilla Obsidian this afternoon as well......And my experience was similar. Burn issues were my biggest complaint. Had a few minutes where it looked to be coming round after the first 1/3rd, but then started becoming VERY jagged after. Spent the majority of the smoke nursing it back. Wasn't great, wasn't horrible....

PM your fav stick suggestions! I am heading to a local B&M this Thursday and would greatly appreciate it!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Dan.. Come in the front door... ( newbie welcoming thread) Good to see you here.. Let's give DanW a nice welcome guys.. He's a fast learner, and excellent at describing flavor profiles.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    Welcome Dan! I've had the same trouble with the Obsidian. Not a bad smoke, but a pain in the rear. If you want to give Padilla another shot, try the Habano.
  • ShawnJShawnJ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 65
    Welcome Dan :) I am yet to try anything from Padilla but I'll see if I can find the Habano. Started the day today with a Cusano 18 and a couple hours later an Oliva Series G. A little while later, I had a La Flor Dominicana and then, tonight, after Karate, I put my tired feet up and lit up a CAO LX2.
    Welcome Dan. There are a lot of know it alls around here. Some of them really do know it all! YO know who you are :-) These are great guys. You will learn a lot!

I have only had on Obsidian and I had draw problems. I can't remember if I had burn problems but it was definately tight. I did order some Padillas I haven't had before. Got myself 2 Padilla Signature 1932 torpedos and 2 Padilla Signature 1948. Also got myself some Partagas Maduro Naturales. I want to see how these compare to the Partagas Black. And then I got 3 Gurkha Grand Reserve Torpedos. One is for me, one is for a Colonel I work with and one is for a assistant director I work with. Hope they will like them. No smoking for me today. Drove the car.