Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    Finally got a break in the rain....then couldnt decide what i wanted(Argh!), Went with the old standby, Oliva G cammy. Always satisfies my jones'in for a cigar when i dont know what i want. But about 1/2 way through it got real flimsy and super squishy like it was underfilled. All my humidors are a razor sharp 69%. Burn and flavor were still right on though. Wierd....
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Dang, Jet.. I hate it when I'm only halfway through and my stick gets real flimsy and super squishy. You must be getting old.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    I pulled a Bauza out of my 70/68 humidor, took off the cello wrapper, and placed it alone in a zip loc bag, along with a trusted hygrometer. The reading came up 65/68. I left the bag open slightly and within an hour the reading came down to 61. I resealed the bag and left it overnight, out of the humidor. By morning the reading was 59/68. Pretty close to my target 60. The cigar went to work with me and by the end of the day the reading was 60/70. That was what I was looking for.

This Bauza has been in my humidor since April 2008, I have had many so I know what to expect.. Surprise, surprise, I can't remembner a better Bauza. The burn seemed a little fast, but that may be me and my exuberance with this great cigar.
    What came to mind was, when a hygrometer reads 70, the cigar itself may not be 70 if stored with the cello on. So, people who do keep lower humidity levels may truely be smoking a cigar with a true level of closer to 60% after all.
    70% has always been a target humidifacation mark for me, but I believe I am going to knock that down by 5% or so.
    dutyje:
    Dang, Jet.. I hate it when I'm only halfway through and my stick gets real flimsy and super squishy. You must be getting old.

Yeah, i found that doesnt happen with petite coronas, only churchills and super belicosos.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Ashton VSG...delightful...peppery with a nice earthy flavor.
    Jetmech_63:
    dutyje:

Yeah, i found that doesnt happen with petite coronas, only churchills and super belicosos.
    confims a rumor I heard about navy guys.
    Caught another break in the rain and couldnt help myself. Fired up a Graycliff 1666 i got in a sampler. Interesting how marbled the wrapper was but as far as the smoke.....eh. It was a dry smoke with really only one major flavor working. The burn kinda sucked but the draw was good. After all the "Graycliff Hype" i was expecting more. All in all pretty disappointed and let it die a little over 1/2 way. I'm taking the rest and putting them in the bottom of the humi for about a year, i hear that helps.
    Luko:
    confims a rumor I heard about navy guys.

Aw hell!! Walked right into that one, well played sir.
  • cheymancheyman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    I forgot my herfador at home this morning so I stopped by a little B&M that I knew of and picked up a a Oliva Serie V torpedo. I had to cut the foot twice and the first 1/3 had such a increadible tight draw..but after the second cut it opened right up for me. I tried to use my nose, but this stick was way to strong for that!!!
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    had a java robusto early today and then finished off the work day with a cuban aristocrat perfecto
  • cheymancheyman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    In preparation for our fiesta tomorrow, I have to once again check out the smoking area with a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet , which is the first in a sampler I got.
  • TumblerTumbler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 338
    Pepin Black Label - Little tight but a tasty smoke!
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 191
    Had a 5 vegas classic tonight...you really can't beat this cigar for the price....Never disappointed.
    tankbonnies:
    Had a 5 vegas classic tonight...you really can't beat this cigar for the price....Never disappointed.
    I agree.. I had one all set to go today, but got a call to pick up my daughter from school.. She gives me that teenager stare if my truck has the lingering aroma of fine tobacco, Maybe tomorrow.
    kaspera79:
    tankbonnies:
    I agree.. I had one all set to go today, but got a call to pick up my daughter from school.. She gives me that teenager stare if my truck has the lingering aroma of fine tobacco, Maybe tomorrow.
    The teenager stare? I'm assuming that's not good?
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I had a Montecristo at the bar, earlier. Pretty good. Hard to really tell much about the flavor in that environment. Burn & draw were solid, though.
    Jetmech_63:
    Caught another break in the rain and couldnt help myself. Fired up a Graycliff 1666 i got in a sampler. Interesting how marbled the wrapper was but as far as the smoke.....eh. It was a dry smoke with really only one major flavor working. The burn kinda sucked but the draw was good. After all the "Graycliff Hype" i was expecting more. All in all pretty disappointed and let it die a little over 1/2 way. I'm taking the rest and putting them in the bottom of the humi for about a year, i hear that helps.
    I've been underwhelmed by the 1666. Their Original Release, however, is an excellent cigar.
  • JdfemsJdfems Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey everyone,

Long time registered, first time poster, I'm new to being a "devoted" smoker, before my daughter was born I usually smoked the "cheapies", and didn't do any real research. After 9 months of not smoking, I opened my humi, found it to be in a sad state of affairs and vowed to reseason it and stock it with cigars I'd taken the time to research and enjoy. Today I went out to a VERY nice cigar shop here in Fort Worth and puchased 10 sticks, 2 AVO #2, 2 Nub Conneticut, 2 Fuente Hemmingways, 2 Private Stock (Davidoff seconds) and 2 Romeo and Julieta 1875. I find that I am a mild to medium kinnda guy, not so much into Maduros yet, but will get there some day. I know from past smokes that I enjoy Cusanos and Montechristo 2's and am looking forward to actually putting thought and research into my cigar smoking and therefore gaining a greater respect and enjoyment of smoking.

I told you that to tell you this...I'm a Paramedic and so sometimes we have a bit of down time. Tonight I decided to start with the Davidoff second.  I enjoyed the color of the Connecticut shade wrapper and the overall appearence was good, the cap cut evenly and nicely (thank you Xikar!!) and lit well. The draw was light and airy, but full of smoke. However, I did feel like I was missing something.  Now, my pallate is not developed in ANY way, however I was able to detect a Pepper "burst" at the tail end of the exhale. The ash was compact, but not enough to prevent only about a 2 inch section to form before it just would drop straight off, leaving the cone exposed to the slight breeze we had at time. Thankfully, no relights were nessecary, unlike with the crud I was used to smoking.

Overall, it was a decent cigar, I'm aware there are better out there and can't wait to keep smoking. I would have smoked another one later, but someone decided it was time to get that pain they'd had in thier side for the past 2 weeks looked at and it had to be RIGHT NOW!! Lol, I love my job, but there's no cure for stupid :)

Jdfems:

Hey everyone,

Long time registered, first time poster, I'm new to being a "devoted" smoker, before my daughter was born I usually smoked the "cheapies", and didn't do any real research. After 9 months of not smoking, I opened my humi, found it to be in a sad state of affairs and vowed to reseason it and stock it with cigars I'd taken the time to research and enjoy. Today I went out to a VERY nice cigar shop here in Fort Worth and puchased 10 sticks, 2 AVO #2, 2 Nub Conneticut, 2 Fuente Hemmingways, 2 Private Stock (Davidoff seconds) and 2 Romeo and Julieta 1875. I find that I am a mild to medium kinnda guy, not so much into Maduros yet, but will get there some day. I know from past smokes that I enjoy Cusanos and Montechristo 2's and am looking forward to actually putting thought and research into my cigar smoking and therefore gaining a greater respect and enjoyment of smoking.

I told you that to tell you this...I'm a Paramedic and so sometimes we have a bit of down time. Tonight I decided to start with the Davidoff second.  I enjoyed the color of the Connecticut shade wrapper and the overall appearence was good, the cap cut evenly and nicely (thank you Xikar!!) and lit well. The draw was light and airy, but full of smoke. However, I did feel like I was missing something.  Now, my pallate is not developed in ANY way, however I was able to detect a Pepper "burst" at the tail end of the exhale. The ash was compact, but not enough to prevent only about a 2 inch section to form before it just would drop straight off, leaving the cone exposed to the slight breeze we had at time. Thankfully, no relights were nessecary, unlike with the crud I was used to smoking.

Overall, it was a decent cigar, I'm aware there are better out there and can't wait to keep smoking. I would have smoked another one later, but someone decided it was time to get that pain they'd had in thier side for the past 2 weeks looked at and it had to be RIGHT NOW!! Lol, I love my job, but there's no cure for stupid :)

Wow, nice first post. Welcome aboard Fems.
    Jdfems:

Hey everyone,

Wow, nice first post. Welcome aboard Fems.
    Welcome aboard jd-glad to have ya
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Jdfems:

Hey everyone,

Good to have ya onthe board JD! And it's good to see a neighbor on here! I'm in North West Dallas so you aren't too far at all. Hope ya stick around here on the forum! There are a lot of great guys here that are more than happy to help ya out with any info you might need!
    Just finished a Java Robusto-excellent smoke
    Smoked a Java robusto(see above) , H Uppmann reserve next and finishing a Cuban Aristocrat perfecto now- thats just for work-making up for the shitty weather this past week-no tellin' what I'll grill , smoke and drink when I get home
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I'm going cigar bar hopping witha friend. I'm bringing a Cuban (not sure if it is a Partagas Serie P #2 or Monticristo #2. When you take the labels off they look identical and they cost exactly the same), A Nub Boxed Press Cameroon, a Gurkha Master Select XO 6 X 60 and a 5 Vegas Classic Robusto. I think I am going to start off with the Gurka because it is so damn large. It will take a long time to smoke and free up some space inthe humi.
    rwheelwright..sounds like a good night.....another nice day today..I cleaned out the garage a little more today..I'll be having a Gurkha tonight...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    rwheelwright:
    I'm bringing a Cuban (not sure if it is a Partagas Serie P #2 or Monticristo #2. When you take the labels off they look identical and they cost exactly the same)
    That would be a bummer for me. I didn't care for the Monte #2 while I think the Serie P is excellent, so not knowing which it was would be quite the gamble.
    Luko:
    kaspera79:
    tankbonnies:
    The teenager stare? I'm assuming that's not good?
    When you have a sixteen year old daughter, you will know. That is NOT good. She is always downloading medical pictures of diseased lungs and putting them on the refrigerator. Not a pretty sight. But, she is crazy smart. Plans on going to medical school, has a 4.0 GPA and wants to go to Vanderbilt U. Pediatrics.. so she can't help me much. Still didn't get to that darn 5 Vega..
    Hey Jdf..It sounds like a pretty nice re-stock you picked up. a few of my favorites. I should find some Davidoff seconds since I don't usually spend as much as the first run.. You know that Avo and Davidoff are made in the same factory so they are similar in many ways. Taste and construction are both top notch.. stop by often, it's nice to have new opinions. By the way, Avo Domaine #10 is real good, #30 even better.
    I hear the same thing from the wife about smoking and the lungs..hey you only live once!!
  • rdpitts43rdpitts43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14
    For any one who responded to my "Is my cigar ruined?" post just to let you know, no it was not ruined in fact it has been one of my best smokes I have had the pleasure to put to my lips. I speak of a Perdomo Especial - Silvio Robusto, started off with a nice creamy smooth flavor and ended with a medium cedar/oak flavor. The ash held on well past the 1/2 way point, the smoke was thick yet very pleasant to smell, took me about an hour and a half to smoke it down to my stopping point. Fantanstic smoke for the price.