Home General Discussion

Cigars and Driving

pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
I commute back and forth between Galveston TX and New Orleans several times a year. A few days ago I lit up a CAO gold before the drive, and time went by so much quicker! Anybody else drive and smoke? Any favorite driving cigars?

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    That's the only real time I smoke...
    No favorites for driving but nothing really full bodied it's hard to drive and buzz at the same time.

• sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    I don't drive and smoke. I like to be lounging in a chair when I light up a cigar so I can really get into it. I think I would be distracted if I was smoking a cigar and driving at the same time. Sensory overload.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    When I go hunting I always buy a tin of cigarillos. The drive is about 5 hours, so I like a short smoke here and there to pass the time. I think this year, I'll be looking for a nice sampler of small sticks. Might be a cool way to pass the time.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    sightunseen:
    I don't drive and smoke. I like to be lounging in a chair when I light up a cigar so I can really get into it. I think I would be distracted if I was smoking a cigar and driving at the same time. Sensory overload.

I used to feel that way too^. This winter I did it some during my daily commute and found it was OK. I would agree that you will want something mild. Still enjoy the smoke more when I can just sit an relax.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I was travelling 3 days a week last year so cigars in the car were a must! Nice cigar, tunes and a drink.....non alcholic of course lol
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,507
    I used to smoke in the car on occassion, but found that it was distracting, so now the only time I will smoke is when I have the time to sit back, relax and enjoy the cigar with no distractions. Thats just my humble opinion though, to each their own!
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Anything longer than a 30 minute drive and the kids aren't in the car, I light one up.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    In the past 6 days, I spent 5 of them driving over 1800 miles, I smoked a total of 7 cigars while on the road. I tend to smoke while driving any distance over 50 miles and try to take cigars that fit the time of day/mood/ and ones that I know won't require a lot of attention to keep going.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    I guess I'm with most of the pack. I enjoy kicking back, relaxing and having my smoke. That's my stress reduction time and unfortunately, driving is not always a stress reducer for me. It's all those other stupid drivers!
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    How do you guys smoke and drive? Keep the window up and you gag yourself, keep it down, and the wind either blows the ash all over the place or the cigar gets snuffed out
  • MarkHMarkH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 120
    xmacro:
    How do you guys smoke and drive? Keep the window up and you gag yourself, keep it down, and the wind either blows the ash all over the place or the cigar gets snuffed out

I keep the driver window down about 1.5" and the smoke gets sucked right out. When the ash gets long enough just hold it to the opening and whoosh. After a few hot ash drops in the lap I ash frequently,lol. On my once a month trip to Chicago it is 7 hours one way and it is a 3 cigar trip. Frankly, I look forward to it.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I have no issue, keep the window down just a bit so it sucks smoke out, heat up if its cold, I only smoke when I driving long distance or highway not in and around the city.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    I wont smoke in the beamer and my knock around running car is a 92 chevy Lumina just turned 50,000 miles and its in Primo Shape .... No smoking while driving.. this from a guy who smoked everything that can be smoked driving in his car over 10 years ago. Im waiting for my StepDaughter to go graduate from College and go to the Air Forceso I inherit the Ford F150 extenda cab , has a slight dog scent , is great for camping and offroading and I WILL SMOKE IN THAT ! lol
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    They actually make an ashtray that looks like a coffee mug. It has a small hole on top (just big enough for an ash) and has a holder for your stick if you just don't feel like holding it or you get out of your car. I'm not sure if they have them here but I'm sure you can google it. I know they are fairly cheap.

Edit: Here is a link I found. I'm sure there are a ton of these out there. Again, still want to put the window down, just don't have to worry about ashes all over the place. http://theomahacigarcompany.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=40
  • bama3715bama3715 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
    I only smoke in my truck when im on a road trip. Just recently i drove up to montgomery to hit up a few cigar bars and smoked a few gurkha cigarillos. The chocolate and vanilla dulce's are good. I have never smoke a real cigar while driving.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    I love smoking while I drive. I do it whenever possible, even if it's just a ten or twenty minute drive! I drive from new york to boston and back sort of regularly, so I smoke two or three cigars during the trip; I usually choose well-constructed/bigger ring gauge since I find they require less maintenance and don't ash as easily. I subscribe to keeping the window about an inch open and ashing out the window. At 85 miles an hour, the ash just wooshes off.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    Man I just keep my sun roof open and I'm set! My road trips are so much more relaxing since ive started smoking on them.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I've thought about having a smoke while I drive. My commute to work every day is about an hour long, so it might be nice and help pass the time...but I think my wife would complain the car stinks, since I drive the "family" sedan. However, I might try it in my truck one day.
  • jacketsrulejacketsrule Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 401
    I smoke on my ride home daily, it makes the time pass faster and the atl traffic better
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Nearly everyday I will smoke a cigar on my hour plus ride home. I Don't mind the traffic jam or the overturned truck which causes a ten mile back-up ( like today). I just puff away happily.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    kaspera79:
    Nearly everyday I will smoke a cigar on my hour plus ride home. I Don't mind the traffic jam or the overturned truck which causes a ten mile back-up ( like today). I just puff away happily.
    I've taken up smoking on my drive home for that exact reason Kas. I don't know how people drive in Illinois, but in California everybody is in a huge rush to get nowhere fast, which can make driving on the freeway pretty aggravating. With a cigar working its magic though, I find it a lot easier to just go with the flow and let the idiots do their thing without getting angry...talk about stress relief, doctors ought to prescribe cigars instead of blood pressure medication. :) (Not that I know anything about high blood pressure, I'm just sayin')