Home General Discussion

My Introduction

AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
I have been browsing for a few weeks and just wanted to say "Hello". I'm new to the hobby and found these boards to be a wealth of great information. I actually bought a humidor a decade ago and started to have a smoke here and there, but since I didn't have any friends who were interested, I lost interest. About 3 weeks ago I dug out my humidor and took a look inside. I gathered a lot of cigars way back in the day and they have been in my humidor since (and probably ruined). I have a Macanudo, an Ashton an orinoco, Bering, a "PS" (whatever that is) a Punch and and a flor de jalopo (whatever that is). I'm sure they are all ruined asfter having been improperly stored for soo long, but I'm going to smoke 'em nonetheless. I also got my order of Purple Label Sampler which I plan on trying this weekend.

I got an interest in this 'hobby' again really because of the culture. I found a great smoke shop with a smoking parlor and I like the idea of taking an hour or two out of my work week, getting out of the office and relaxing for a spell. In my last few visits I had a Fonesca (or maybe Fonseca?) a Manga (which made me sick, to be honest) and the shop's house brand, which are rolled right there in the store.

Any 'beginer' advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    Welcome! Personally I would pitch those cigars and take the writeoff. Not sure they will be smokeable. They may taste so bad that it will turn you off this hobby. Also, call a customer service rep and tell them your situation and I'm sure get you a good deal on a variety of sticks so you find what kind of flavors you like.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    Welcome in. Pretty new around here myself. The great news is if you have a question you want answered, you won't get shredded too bad for asking.

Suggest just doing more of what your doing. Try different stuff - see what you like and what you don't - note the differences (what were the wrappers, brands, sizes, etc.) Use the search box at the top of the page to see reviews that go with a cigar you are about to have or have had recently, see what everybody else thinks.

What's lost is lost. You can try to bring your old smokes back, the right humidity won't hurt them now. You will want to season that Humi before you stock it again though. In the mean time use tupperware and a ccom pillow (something I learned about on the boards). Don't see what you are looking for on the boards; Google it, then bring what you found in and see what feedback you get.

Great culture here from what I have seen as well. You'll like it a lot. Happy smoking!
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    Welcome to the boards. There's nothing like unwinding from a day at work with a cigar and with spring approaching, you've chosen the right time to get back into the hobby.

Like what the others have said so far, one of the best things you can do is to just cast as wide a net as possible and try different sticks. Since you are just starting, I would suggest trying a variety of mild-bodied sticks and then work your way up to fuller-bodied smokes. The Ccom Purple Label is a great mild stick to start with. Check out some of the samplers that are available here. You may also want to give the Ccom guys a call for recommendations.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Hey welcome...

• laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Welcome. The COTMC is a great way to get exposed to new sticks. And you get an additional 10% off every order from then on.
  • Duder2Duder2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 926
    Welcome, good to have you! I'm still pretty new, but in the last 4 1/2 months I have learned A LOT by roaming this board and reading from the voices of experience here.
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    welcome aboard Im in woodstock ct 45 min away if u want to get some guys togeather and have a smoke night let me know.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Welcome to the group.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Welcome! Sounds like those sticks are going to taste like cardboard or worse, lol. You probably ought to pitch them, but do what you wish!
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    WElcome or the Jungle It gets worse here every day... we learn to live like animals in a MAD BOMBER kind of Way! LOL

In all seriousness this place is AWESOME! The best group of people I have never met in my Life! I am sure that One day we will find a way to get a HUGE CCOM HERF together.

Pitch them Sonabitches and get some decent smokes... As was previousley said those might turn you off to the hobby again and then the Beard wont be able to smell his Fingers anymore ! LOL
    Welcome once again!
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Welcome to forum! Good peoples around these parts, and I know exactly what you mean by the culture - it's probably the biggest thing that I love about cigars. Great group on here, and I've made some excellent friends. Hope you stick around, and feel free to ask questions (we're pretty good about newbie questions, though out of convenience we do encourage the use of the Search function) ;-)
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    Welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot here. Those cigar can be re-humidified. But it's a really long, painstaking process. Plus, the cigars will never regain their original flavor because they've lost too much of their oils. Best to probably start fresh from the beginning. Keep those Purple Labels in the bag with the Humi-Pouch and they should stay fresh for long enough to season your humidor.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Welcome my man, great advice and a great group of folks here.
  • AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
    I'm sitting at my local parlor enjoying an Ashton Churchill - Connecticut wrapper, rather mild and in my very very amateur opinion, excellent !!!
  • FriendyAnilFriendyAnil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    This is Lucky
    I am new to this forum site. I think this site is providing information about drug intervention.
     I think drugs are very dangerous in the world. I think this site is to be awareness to
     all the people in the world. I think this site is to be useful to acknowledged to the public.
     I fully recommended about this site to all the people.
    all the things going on around them. With practice, the clumsy awkward body becomes agile
     and expert; a child who tumbles down today won't tumble down next week. We're never too old
     to improve our physical ability to respond to sensory stimuli and games are a great way to.vancouver flowers

• mrpillowmrpillow Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 464
    Hooray for spambots!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    FriendyAnil:
    This is Lucky
    I am new to this forum site. I think this site is providing information about drug intervention.
     I think drugs are very dangerous in the world. I think this site is to be awareness to
     all the people in the world. I think this site is to be useful to acknowledged to the public.
     I fully recommended about this site to all the people.
    all the things going on around them. With practice, the clumsy awkward body becomes agile
     and expert; a child who tumbles down today won't tumble down next week. We're never too old
     to improve our physical ability to respond to sensory stimuli and games are a great way to.vancouver flowers

Drug intervention? WTF. We are overdosing nicotine as quick as we can. I am sick of this kind of junk.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    To second what others have said, stick to the mild cigrars for the time being. MATASA (company that makes Fonseca) is a great place to start. You may also want to try the Arturo Fuente Hemingway line, the La Aurora 1495, the Rocky Patel 1990, the Sol Cubano Connecticut, and the Oliva Connecticut Reserve. All fantastic mild smokes, in my opinion.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 214
    Since Ive been on here, Ive gone from smoking Black and Milds to having a humi full of Olivas and Camachos! Great deals, great conversation, great advice all around!
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    pnaylon:
    Since Ive been on here, Ive gone from smoking Black and Milds to having a humi full of Olivas and Camachos!!
    Ccom forums save another soul
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    Welcome to the zoo! I've learned a lot from these fools. You will too.