Home General Discussion

Thanks to my Southern BOTL's

YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
I just got back from 5 days in Myrtle Beach and one day in Fayetteville. I asked you all to save me some good weather and you outdid yourselves. We had georgeous weather and I even got to watch a Coastal Carolina v. Michigan baseball game at Pelican Field.

While we were there, I actually got to smoke a cigar indoors at a bar! Twice! I went to the Blarney Stone at Broadway on the Beach and also TBonz restaurant lets you smoke at the bar. Now if only New York State would become so enlightened.

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Glad to hear you had a good visit. Come on back any time.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Gotta love it down here in the South. Nothing like porch sitting on a beautiful sunny day, drinking homemade sweet tea. Oh, and having a smoke of course!
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    YankeeMan:
    I just got back from 5 days in Myrtle Beach and one day in Fayetteville. I asked you all to save me some good weather and you outdid yourselves. We had georgeous weather and I even got to watch a Coastal Carolina v. Michigan baseball game at Pelican Field.

While we were there, I actually got to smoke a cigar indoors at a bar! Twice! I went to the Blarney Stone at Broadway on the Beach and also TBonz restaurant lets you smoke at the bar. Now if only New York State would become so enlightened.
    I had a cigar at the bar tonight here in Michigan. Not for much longer, though. Come May we won't be able to do that anymore. After all, second hand smoke causes cancer, right? Wait, it doesn't? You mean they haven't medically proven that and they're still passing this legislature that is infringing on business/consumer rights? Say it ain't so!!
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    TatuajeVI:
    You mean they haven't medically proven that and they're still passing this legislature that is infringing on business/consumer rights? Say it ain't so!!

This is a natural circumstance when politics becomes a popularity contest. I've read most of the WHO and other studies and from a stastic standpoint the numbers are a joke. The "25% increase in rate of cancer" is highly misleading. Going from a probability of 10/10,000,000 to 12/10,000,000 is technically a 25% increase in probability, but realistically there is no change. The above numbers would mean that if everyone in the US was exposed to the amounts of second hand smoke used in the study, there would be an additional 60 cases of cancer per year. Your legislators would save more lives per tax dollar by offering everyone one free physical in their lifetime than doing this.

But, being anti-tobacco gets the votes...
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    That's very similar to the study the sugar industry did to try to get cyclamates (sp?) outlawed. They force fed rats extreme amounts of the artificial sweetener and they developed tumors.

Humans would have had to consume several thousand bottles of diet soda daily with that sweetener in it to get the same amount the test rats got. Unfortunately, just like the smoking bans, they won and it was taken off the market.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Junk science is alive and well today. The bad press and junk science that salt was subjected to in the 80's and 90's is now considered gospel truth. The madness continues with a number of hot button issues today that I will not name to avoid the political mayhem that would follow from some of my BOTL "believers"